Food How to brew the perfect cup of tea

Jul 24, 2007
I'm a little embarassed to admit that I've never had a loose leaf tea that really motivated me to brew my own tea at home - hence, my ignorance. Now that I have a big bag of tea leaves, what is your failproof way to brew your tea? I read somewhere that boiling water in an electric kettle was preferable to using a kettle over the stove, is this true? Do you prefer to put your leaves loose into the teapot or do you like to use a tea press? Should I get the Bodum Assam tea press? Also, if I keep my tea leaves in an airtight container away from the light, what kind of shelf life can I expect? Thanks

warm the tea pot and boil the kettle. fill the pre warmed tea pot with boiling water. as for the tea, one spoon full for each cup you will have and an extra on "for the pot" leave it a minute or two, you dont want it to stew. pour the tea using a strainer over the cup, then add milk then sugar last. never put the milk in first

^ yup Cherry pie has said it perfectly. I personally like those tea pots like the Bodum tea press as it is easier, but you can also buy little tea strainers that are closed so that you can place your tea in it and then into a regular tea pot - Bodum has them. You def dont want to stew or cook the tea by brewing for too long as it turns some tea bitter.