How to "break in" my new Reissue 226.

resplendent

Sep 5, 2014
Hello TPF,

So last week, I brought home my new 226 in so-black crumpled calfskin :girlsigh:, and full-disclosure...I haven't used her yet! Just kind of took her out of her packaging and admired...hehe. She is to be my daily favorite.

I've only owned caviar before so far (I have my classic M/L flap and a classic WOC I sold) which I never felt the need to pre-treat because it comes treated.

1) Do you folks recommend that I pre-treat this crumpled calfskin? I only have the Cadillac conditioner--and I won't be using Collonil or any other waterproofing in case in the future it repels any retouching dyes, etc.

2) I requested that the hardware protective tape be left on, but they were training a new SA and he took everything off, including the tape that covers the inside flap's hardware (I'm so OCD about this that I still have it on my M/L bought last year.) I know this is weird, but should I put a tape back on? Do you ladies and gents just remove the hardware protectors and use your flaps comfortably?

Thanks for any advice...:flowers:

Hmm.
I own 2.55 in 227 size.
Bought new few years ago.
Aged calfskin(black) & ghw.

Slathered in collonil leather gel & used bag.
Boutique removed hardware protectors.

Not sure what breaking-in means.
I do store upright, so bottom flattened some--goal!
And reapply collonil whenever seems needed.

As have not spilled strawberry jam or coffee on yet, consider personal victory.
But do not use her daily.

Enjoy your chanel.

Hi Resplendent! I bought a so black crumpled calfskin and took her out yesterday, but didn't pre-treat it. I don't know if there's any need to, but haven't pre-treated any of the few Chanel items I own (which include lambskin and caviar). I figured that I'd condition the bags only when they're looking dried out? :confused1: Would be interested too to learn about others' experiences.