Travel How to best experience "The South" (USA) for Europeans?

I agree with all the suggestions about the southern hotspots - New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, Memphis (love, love, love, Memphis). I'm not a lover of Atlanta.

Although Charlotte is not traditional southern city, check out airfare through CLT. It is one of the busiest in the world and you can fly direct from Paris. Charleston is only 2.5 hours from CLT. Savannah is only 3.5 hours away. If you do want a day or two in a city in the "New South," Charlotte is really the place to be. And it is way easier to navigate than Atlanta.

For things to do, places to stay, eat, etc. try browsing Southern Living magazine. You can download it on iPad although I guess you wouldn't want to buy a lot of different ones just to find a few things. Anyway, they map out road trip routes time to time in various Southern areas. They also include great restaurants to eat at and things of that such. Its not a tourist or travel magazine, just a magazine about all things Southern.

Here's a link to some of the destinations they highlight throughout the South: http://www.southernliving.com/travel/

I went to New Orleans for Spring Break this year and it was amazing, so I can definitely recommend it. Savannah (Georgia) is by far my favorite southern city!

Nashville is cool, I have a friend from there. I don't care about Memphis though-

Thank you dr.t! We'll probably be flying between cities (one or two flights in two weeks). I have noticed that you can only fly to NY and other northern US cities OR to Miami directly from Europe. So we'll either come in via NY and stay there a few days, or fly in via Miami, which is already nearer to South Carolina, Georgia or New Orleans.
Would you recommend coming in via NY/Miami and going to South Carolina and New Orleans for example? Thanks again :winkiss:

Klm /delta have always had direct flights from amsterdam to memphis..i fly from the Uk to Amsterdam to go to memphis even though it's the wrong direction...its so much easier than stopping elsewhere in the US

I agree with all the suggestions about the southern hotspots - New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, Memphis (love, love, love, Memphis). I'm not a lover of Atlanta.

Although Charlotte is not traditional southern city, check out airfare through CLT. It is one of the busiest in the world and you can fly direct from Paris. Charleston is only 2.5 hours from CLT. Savannah is only 3.5 hours away. If you do want a day or two in a city in the "New South," Charlotte is really the place to be. And it is way easier to navigate than Atlanta.

I adore memphis too

I prefer Arizona & New Mexico to Louisiana & Mississippi.
And Texas has 11 different climate zones--so almost anything desired may be found in that 1 state.
Does take awhile to travel across such large expanses, however.

Having lived outside US, what fascinates me about its southern region is the Grand Canyon, Native American influence, open spaces & skies, old forts & missions--more SW aspects, perhaps.
I find these more geographically unique. However, "the south" of old plantations & sipping mint juleps beneath magnolia trees is what many find quintessential.

But, both have their charms. Both are worth exploring.
Just my thoughts.