How to become a Therapy Dog

LanaA

Sep 27, 2016
I've researched online but the info I see is very broad. I would like to take my dog, who is a really healthy and vibrant 10 year old lab mix, to the programs we have in my city for lonely seniors. I know she loves older people and it'd be a great thing to do but I don't know how to get her verified as a Therapy Dog. Any suggestions?

Additional training may be required.
A specific handler pairs with dog to test/work.(aka you)
Tests require dog to be still/calm, as people with medical equipment move around.
Among others.
A dog temperment test should be involved, also.
And health/vaccination requirements.

Therapy dogs have fewer rights to go everywhere. Unlike service dogs.
But are great for visiting seniors, as you mentioned.
A kind thought.

It's helpful to join an organization, for therapy dog handlers.
As dues often provide help, in case of legal issues. And great resource for questions/concerns.
Connects you to others with similar interests, for meet-ups, fun events, socializing.
Here is a good one, imo:
http://www.tdi-dog.org/
Website also lists test requirements.

Hope helps.

Wow thanks so much for this great info! Really answered a lot of my questions.

Additional training may be required.
A specific handler pairs with dog to test/work.(aka you)
Tests require dog to be still/calm, as people with medical equipment move around.
Among others.
A dog temperment test should be involved, also.
And health/vaccination requirements.

Therapy dogs have fewer rights to go everywhere. Unlike service dogs.
But are great for visiting seniors, as you mentioned.
A kind thought.

It's helpful to join an organization, for therapy dog handlers.
As dues often provide help, in case of legal issues. And great resource for questions/concerns.
Connects you to others with similar interests, for meet-ups, fun events, socializing.
Here is a good one, imo:
http://www.tdi-dog.org/
Website also lists test requirements.

Hope helps.

If there are hospitals or elderly care facilities in your area that you would like to visit with your dog you might contact their public outreach office and ask if they have doggie guests and whether there are any local therapy dog programs or services that they are in contact with.

In our area there is a therapy dog program that offers special training and certification for dogs to visit health care facilities. Our local vet school also has such a program. They screen dogs by temperament--they require that dogs know basic commands such as sit, stay, come and that they follow commands and their handler closely. They require that dogs have a very calm temperament and they test them to make sure that they will not freak out when there is medical equipment like IV stands clattering bout. (Our dog failed the temperament test because he was nervous around IV stands. He was a rescue dog that had been beaten in the past and anything that looked like a stick made him skittish.) Once a dog passes the temperament and command test, the school does a little extra training with the dogs and their owners. Whenever they visit a hospital they take the dogs and their handlers there in a group. Prior to every hospital visit the dogs are checked out at the vet school and thoroughly bathed with antiseptic soap since they may be around children who are immune-compromised. Then they're taken directly to the hospital. Overall the program can be a pretty big commitment for dogs and their owners.

Through the years I've known dog owners through rescue who, if they have a very calm, outgoing dog, will make regular casual visits with their dog to elderly care facilities and hospices. The dog isn't certified in any way, but the facilities still welcome the visits. That's why you should consider contacting facilities in your area to see if they have any interest in visits from you and your dog. Good luck!

At the very least I would make sure your pup can pass the Canine Good Citizen Test, and then check into places locally to see if they have groups that are already in existence that you can join for a specific place. Convalescent hospitals, libraries, children's hospitals, etc. Each group or place will likely have it's own rules because there isn't really any licensing in place to be a therapy dog.

Thanks! This is so helpful

If there are hospitals or elderly care facilities in your area that you would like to visit with your dog you might contact their public outreach office and ask if they have doggie guests and whether there are any local therapy dog programs or services that they are in contact with.

In our area there is a therapy dog program that offers special training and certification for dogs to visit health care facilities. Our local vet school also has such a program. They screen dogs by temperament--they require that dogs know basic commands such as sit, stay, come and that they follow commands and their handler closely. They require that dogs have a very calm temperament and they test them to make sure that they will not freak out when there is medical equipment like IV stands clattering bout. (Our dog failed the temperament test because he was nervous around IV stands. He was a rescue dog that had been beaten in the past and anything that looked like a stick made him skittish.) Once a dog passes the temperament and command test, the school does a little extra training with the dogs and their owners. Whenever they visit a hospital they take the dogs and their handlers there in a group. Prior to every hospital visit the dogs are checked out at the vet school and thoroughly bathed with antiseptic soap since they may be around children who are immune-compromised. Then they're taken directly to the hospital. Overall the program can be a pretty big commitment for dogs and their owners.

Through the years I've known dog owners through rescue who, if they have a very calm, outgoing dog, will make regular casual visits with their dog to elderly care facilities and hospices. The dog isn't certified in any way, but the facilities still welcome the visits. That's why you should consider contacting facilities in your area to see if they have any interest in visits from you and your dog. Good luck!

Keep us posted how it works out..would love to hear about it....pets/animals are so wonderful for providing love...esp to people who need it....I'm involved with thereputic riding for children with emotional /physical disabilities....its awesome....

Last spring I adopted two greyhounds, both retired racers. The female is very calm, personable, sweet and incredibly smart. Smart like she can do algebra and figured out how to press the ignition button to start the car. The male is still in puppy mode and is a bit timid. I belong to different Greyhound forums and FB groups and have read that some greys succeeded in becoming service dogs. Any advice on how to screen potential service animal training programs to identify a good match that will be successful for a dog? Thanks.