How to age Vachetta in 3 days! Help!!

1. Hi All,

I just bought a relatively unused preowned horizontal Lockit bag, which has a significant amount of vachetta on the bottom. I wanted a lovely and durable bag for the upcoming trip to Hong Kong. I am leaving in three days.

Unfortunately, I found out it will rain in HK during my trip. The vachetta is very light, and I am worried about water stains. Also, I want to have a little more worn in look to it. Typically, I just use leather lotion to darken vachetta a bit. But with such large vachetta area, I am worried about what is the best way to darken AND protect it.

Dear Ladies, PLEASE give me your best advice. I bought this bag to make it into a trusty travel companion. Your advice is greatly appreciated!

:smile:

2. I know it isn't advised but I used olive oil when I got my first bag. :shucks:

You can also use tanning oil.

3. I wouldn't put any type of oil on it. Oil can become rancid.

Do you have a leather protector? I used Shining Monkey on my speedy and never had a problem with water spots - even in the heaviest of downpours!

4. Olive oil and baby oil are good to darken the vachetta. Just let it dry for 10mins before you add another layer. To get a nice honey colour you may need to do it like 5-7 layers. Also to protect the leather i use a water repelent spray such as kiwi or appleguard. A few layers of that and its fine in the rain. I spray a layer on my bag once every two weeks and its perfect in the rain. I would'nt age my vachetta but as its your bag you can lol :smile:. I prefer it to age natrually and like the light honey cream colour. Enjoy your new bag :smile:

5. Sun! I am always curious what would happen if I tossed vachetta under a tanning lamp for ten minutes. But I've never had the guts to try. As for preventing water spots, I used collonil spray (bought at mulberry) and am happy with the result.

6. Thank you so much for the feedback. I have meltonian lotion and also meltonian spray. I am afraid to use any oils, such as olive oil, due to fear of the leather becoming rancid. There is also no sun this week in North California, it is raining slightly. So no chance of letting it sit in the sun.
    Any additional ideas are very much appreciated. What if I put some thick leather cream on it???

7. I took mine to the tanning bed, 20 minutes a day, daily for two weeks. Worked perfectly!

8. Great! I'm definitely going to do this then. I can't wait to see the look on the person at the front desk's face when I walk in with a stockpile of bags in tow. Haha!