How to add a middle name

mm16

Loves her Pug!
Sep 26, 2007
So all of my life, (I'm 21 now), I have had issues upon issues with people calling me by the wrong name. My name is Carol Ann (two words, 1 name, first name). People call me Carol and it pisses me off-its not my name. I understand that the capitalized letter of A in Ann makes it seem like Ann is my middle name but its not-according to my birth certificate, I have no middle name. So my mother and I would like to add a middle name but we have NO clue on how to do this, who to contact, etc..

Does anyone have any insight on this ?

I am not sure if you can *add* a middle name; I think that you may be able only to change an existing middle name. My parents didn't give me a middle name, and I had checked this out a few years ago and this is what a lawyer told me.

I do know that changing your name AT ALL involved an enormous amount of time, energy, money, and paperwork, so you should consider that as well. Good luck!

I wonder if it would be more obvious, if you would change your first name to "Carol-Ann" instead of "Carol Ann"...

I have 2 middle names and believe me, it causes sooo much confusion! That's what makes me think adding a middle name won't really help you much. (BTW I solved the problem by combining my middle names.)