How strict is Hermes online with returns?

honeybunch

O.G.
Jan 22, 2007
Hi all, I purchased two pairs of Oran in different sizes as I wasn’t sure which would fit. The first pair I tried were perfect so I didn’t even bother trying the other size and planned to return the ones I hadn’t tried on. However, my little nephew got the sandals out of the box without me knowing. The carpet must have had some water droplets on it as I’d got out of the shower just a few minutes before, so when I looked at the soles there were some water stains. He must have put them down on the carpet. They have now dried out but have left some marks. I will attach a photo. Do you think I will be unable to return them? It’s really annoying because I didn’t even try them on! TIA.

I'm sorry this happened to you. And I really don't know what Hermes will say as I have bought and returned many things but never had this type of thing happen to the item. I can say I would never want to be the customer to receive these Orans after you returned them as they don't look new/fresh to me anymore but these things happen as shoes are tried on...

I'm sorry this happened to you. And I really don't know what Hermes will say as I have bought and returned many things but never had this type of thing happen to the item. I can say I would never want to be the customer to receive these Orans after you returned them as they don't look new/fresh to me anymore but these things happen as shoes are tried on...
I agree on that point. The sad thing is every other part of the sandals are new and fresh. When I received them they already had some mottling on the soles and didn’t look very fresh to begin with. However, it wouldn’t have bothered me as the soles are made from almost a suede material so they absorb things really easily and can’t be wiped off. I could tell they had already been tried on before I got them, is what I mean. Having said that, the water marks are another story. It’s such a shame!

I agree on that point. The sad thing is every other part of the sandals are new and fresh. When I received them they already had some mottling on the soles and didn’t look very fresh to begin with. However, it wouldn’t have bothered me as the soles are made from almost a suede material so they absorb things really easily and can’t be wiped off. I could tell they had already been tried on before I got them, is what I mean. Having said that, the water marks are another story. It’s such a shame!
Would this pair work instead and return the perfect pair? I know H is very picky in the boutique about staying on the carpet while trying shoes. No idea what online returns will say. I'm sorry. Maybe you can call CS???

Would this pair work instead and return the perfect pair? I know H is very picky in the boutique about staying on the carpet while trying shoes. No idea what online returns will say. I'm sorry.

Unfortunately not, as the sizes are different and the size I wanted to keep is a perfect fit. The other size actually looks a little wider and I have really narrow feet.

I’m guessing I will just have to try to sell them.

Unfortunately if something gets damaged in your possession, it can’t be returned to most places. I’ve had my dog get hold of things I planned to return...it’s just the risk of ordering online and having the objects in your house.
You can always try CC purchase protection.

Unfortunately if something gets damaged in your possession, it can’t be returned to most places. I’ve had my dog get hold of things I planned to return...it’s just the risk of ordering online and having the objects in your house.
You can always try CC purchase protection.

The soles of the shoes are not in the same condition as they were sent.
Many of us expect H to have the highest standards when making a purchase on line. I would not want to receive
an item that appeared not to be in the condition I expected
I don't think it would be appropriate for the OP to return the sandals since she has acknowledged that the
spots took place on her watch nor for her to contact her CC for purchase protection. It sends the wrong message,IMO
If OP had contacted H right away after opening the box & sent images to H that would be a different story
& perhaps the return might be accepted, but OP should take responsibility for this, JMO..

Last edited:
  • Insightful
Reactions: 880 and Gabs007
I never had to return an online purchase, or actually any purchase from them, they caution you in the shop to be careful if you try on shoes or belts regarding scratches, I would assume they are not much different online.

The loss hurts, but if I were you, I would put the item up on VC or any other 2nd hand site, you got the bill, the box, I would mention they have never been worn, then put clear pictures up, I bet they get snatched up to close to what you paid, as a lot of people don't have a shop nearby or are unware that they can order online, so at least that loss doesn't bite so much and if people see the soles, they can form their own opinion if they want to purchase or not.

Last edited:
I don’t think H will take them back. I ordered a scarf online and tried to cancel the order before it shipped but I wasn’t fast enough. I didn’t even receive the item, I ended up having them redirect the shipping back to H. So - unopened box.
Still took 3 weeks to get my money back.
I was advised by CS that H rigorously inspects each item returned for evidence of wear, even though in this instance I never received (and so obviously never opened) the item. I was surprised by how long the inspection process took!

I don’t think H will take them back. I ordered a scarf online and tried to cancel the order before it shipped but I wasn’t fast enough. I didn’t even receive the item, I ended up having them redirect the shipping back to H. So - unopened box.
Still took 3 weeks to get my money back.
I was advised by CS that H rigorously inspects each item returned for evidence of wear, even though in this instance I never received (and so obviously never opened) the item. I was surprised by how long the inspection process took!

.. Agree.. Many of us would expect H to have the highest of standards with regarding to returns & shipping
out merchandise that is in top notch condition

Last edited:
Reactions: laurenad
This is purchase protection from Chase:

• Can repair, replace or reimburse you for eligible items in the event of theft or damage when items are purchased with an eligible Chase card or with rewards earned on an eligible Chase card
  • Coverage is in excess of any valid and collectible insurance such as homeowner’s insurance, or other forms of reimbursement
However the maximum claim is for $500 per incident. Read your card's coverage.

Honestly after this being posted I would expect the people in returns to be waiting for these shoes so they could reject them. With the purchase protection I think you have to prove that the merchant will not take the merchandise back so you could return, get the rejection, and then submit that.

This is purchase protection from Chase:

• Can repair, replace or reimburse you for eligible items in the event of theft or damage when items are purchased with an eligible Chase card or with rewards earned on an eligible Chase card
  • Coverage is in excess of any valid and collectible insurance such as homeowner’s insurance, or other forms of reimbursement
However the maximum claim is for $500 per incident. Read your card's coverage.

Honestly after this being posted I would expect the people in returns to be waiting for these shoes so they could reject them. With the purchase protection I think you have to prove that the merchant will not take the merchandise back so you could return, get the rejection, and then submit that.
My Chase purchase protection goes to $10K as does my Amex. So the OP may well be able to claim. I know someone well who got repaid on an expensive item eaten by their dog.

My Chase purchase protection goes to $10K as does my Amex. So the OP may well be able to claim. I know someone well who got repaid on an expensive item eaten by their dog.

Many of us have purchase protection via our credit cards as well as our home insurance for damages, theft, etc
which should all be "legitimate" claims.

Having a member of one's family unintentionally damage an item where there are other options to recoup the
loss seems to be the right thing to do as opposed to creating a story to collect the value. Agents can
be pretty savvy looking & knowing how "water spots" on a pair of sandals appear. Usually images are required
for review...
And it doesn't seem worth it to perhaps jeopardize any future legit claims, JMO

Last edited: