How should I react to this situation with money order payment?

NanamiRyu

Justine
O.G.
Dec 3, 2007
I sold a low cost bag about a month ago, on eBay, set up on an auction. The winner of the auction asked if I accept money orders on the day before she bidded. While I don't really get why one would want the hassle of retaining a MO, I said it's fine as long as it's from USPS.

I finally get the payment a week later and guess what happened? In the envelope was a MO that was NOT from USPS. Obviously, I am bothered by it, especially I specifically told her what I can accept. So I contacted the buyer and told her either she can pay me with Paypal/USPS MO or can simply choose to opt out of the deal. I had no problem canceling the sale as it's not as if I'm selling for profit or need that $20.

Buyer writes back next day stating how she wants to bag but insists on yet another MO, which would be sent after she gets back her first MO. I sent it back as requested, since I got no use for it anyway.

A week passes and I get a message from the buyer. She now says she can't seem to cash the MO and wants to know if there's no way I can accept it.:shocked: My gut says no so I want to say no... But I have major problem with confrontations and I don't know what to say.

Just politely tell her that you will not be able to accept it. You are the seller, and have the right to sell your items on your own terms, not hers. You stated up front that you would only accept a certain type of payment, and she did things her own way, so whatever loss she suffers behind this transactions is HER fault, not yours.

I had this happen to me before. I think if the buyer wrote out the MO to the seller, then the buyer can't cash it. The only thing she can do is cancel it, which comes with a fee and probably isn't worth it for $20.

ugh, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who can't handle confrontations..lol.
I am a lot better about it online than I am in person but, I always have a hard time responding to people when it comes to confrontations.

If you take the money order from her and you are able to cash it, is there really anything that could backfire on you?
I'm sure someone else will know more about this type of situation than me but, I've just always thought that once you have the cash in your hand, you are free and clear but, I could be VERY wrong.

I sold a low cost bag about a month ago, on eBay, set up on an auction. The winner of the auction asked if I accept money orders on the day before she bidded. While I don't really get why one would want the hassle of retaining a MO, I said it's fine as long as it's from USPS.

I finally get the payment a week later and guess what happened? In the envelope was a MO that was NOT from USPS. Obviously, I am bothered by it, especially I specifically told her what I can accept. So I contacted the buyer and told her either she can pay me with Paypal/USPS MO or can simply choose to opt out of the deal. I had no problem canceling the sale as it's not as if I'm selling for profit or need that $20.

Buyer writes back next day stating how she wants to bag but insists on yet another MO, which would be sent after she gets back her first MO. I sent it back as requested, since I got no use for it anyway.

A week passes and I get a message from the buyer. She now says she can't seem to cash the MO and wants to know if there's no way I can accept it.:shocked: My gut says no so I want to say no... But I have major problem with confrontations and I don't know what to say.

If she made it out to you then she can't cash . However she can return it with a receipt. The thing is there are so many scams where people have you cash money orders for them. The problem with money orders is they take a while to figure out that they are fake. You could cash it and then 2 months later it is deemed as fake and you are on the hook financially and legally. Stay away from MO.

Just politely tell her that you will not be able to accept it. You are the seller, and have the right to sell your items on your own terms, not hers. You stated up front that you would only accept a certain type of payment, and she did things her own way, so whatever loss she suffers behind this transactions is HER fault, not yours.

I know you are right and that's what I keep telling myself too. But it just seem so strange how she did not follow my condition of it coming from USPS. If she does not care enough to follow through that simple rule, doesn't it also kinda imply she might neg me for not "cooperating with her?"

I guess I'm just too darn scared after hearing all the horror story of the feedbacks and ruined reps. :sad:

Btw, what's up with buyers not leaving feedbacks? I admit I had some really nice buyers during my short term of being on the selling end. But it just bothers me whenever I look my feedback count because there should be something like 10 more but didn't get. And it's just my luck my most expensive stuffs mostly went to the people who doesn't seem to care about feedbacks, based from the records. Sigh...

Something seems fishy.... if she can't seem to cash her returned MO then how on earth are you supposed to?

I had the same thought when I first got the message. But then I assumed she meant she can't cash it since it's in my name?

I had this happen to me before. I think if the buyer wrote out the MO to the seller, then the buyer can't cash it. The only thing she can do is cancel it, which comes with a fee and probably isn't worth it for $20.

So that's really how it works, huh?

I was a bit annoyed when she wrote back telling me to send her MO back. She said the one she sent is perfectly fine but if I don't trust her, it's fine. What is that? She's the one who made me put strange ideas in my head by sending that non USPS MO in the first place. If she sent the correct one, I would've never suspect the transaction to be fishy.