How Should I Feel: Husky Kills Rabbit

I'd be more angry at the crazy woman. She had no idea what was going on but decided to get involved anyway- can't stand people like her.

I have two bulldogs. Bulldogs in general are not known for their prey drive. Apparently, one of mine didn't get the memo.

He goes after pigeons, squirrels, people jogging, bicycles, and small dogs.
We keep him on a no pull harness because we have no choice. He just zones out when he sees any of the above and it becomes nearly impossible to get his attention.

The no pull harness has definitely helped.

sort of OT, but our son's cat killed a mole and left it under grandson's bed. My dil freaked out both about the rodent under the bed and that her cat killed it. Son and I tried to explain it's what cats naturally do and by leaving it under the little boy's bed he's showing them all that he's protecting the young one in the home. At least that's how a longtime cat owner explained it to me.

Natural behavior, not aggressive in any way. And your dog sounds perfectly normal. The only one who wasn't normal was the coffee-throwing lady.

Wow I'd be a combination of sad and angry. Sad that the rabbit died but it doesn't sound like your dog did anything wrong. I'd be angry at the woman who threw hot coffee on your husband and pet. She was completely out of line. She absolutely made the situation worse. She also impaired your ability to address the situation with your dogs. If I had her information I'd probably file a police report against her regardless of the extent of injuries.

I agree with the other posters - the dog was just being a dog. It wasn't bad just natural. I feel bad when my cat kills a bird but he's just being a cat. That woman was way out of line. I can see where she felt bad for the rabbit and may have thought your husband did nothing to prevent the incident. But that doesn't give her the right to assault him and our dog. The whole thing sounds very traumatic.

I agree with chessmont- the incident is definitely not your fault, Huskies and Eskimos just have more of the natural urge to hunt, it's sad that the rabbit was killed but it happens....

the lady that threw coffee on your dog and husband on the other hand....she's CRAYZAY

As far as parasites, if he did not actually eat the rabbit and he is up to date on shots, he will likely be fine. Maybe a couple fleas jumped onto him but I would guess that is about it.
Like many have mentioned, it's the circle of life. He reacted with his instincts - he saw a prey animal and snatched it. Probably didn't even realize he moved until it was in his mouth. I am not sure why the crazy lady felt the need to intercede. He wasn't mauling the rabbit and it wasn't anyone's pet. I would have probably freaked out on her for throwing something hot on my dog (DH can fend for himself :biggrin: ). Who even thinks that is okay?? It's nature, it happens.

Your dog was doing what is natural. My son's rescue mix breed used to do the same thing (they lived near woods where rabbits were all over). I would also feel terrible but other than being careful, which it sounds like you are, there was nothing more you could do.

You sound like really good dog owners, so I don't know if there's anything to do differently.

I just wanted to thank everyone for your kind and comforting words. Yesterday was very traumatic for me. I never expected anything like this to happen, so to see it happen in front of me + being screamed at, my mind went into shock. Today is a new day and I am feeling a whole lot better about the situation. Both dogs are casually gracing through the day like nothing happened.

The husky did started to shed in the area where the hot coffee was thrown at him last night. I know he recently did his first of two full sheds last month, so I wonder if I should be concerned about any skin reactions as a direct result from maybe being slight burned? Any thoughts?

As for health related problems, I did phone the vet early this morning to inform her of the situation. She said that as long as the dog did not eat any raw meat, he should be fine. There was no blood at the scene. So that is one less worry on my mind.

We have decided to postpone filing any reports on the lady. My husband and I thought about documenting everything because she overreacted and we didn't know if she was going to contact HOA and make up a BS story to harm our dogs. If things continue to be peaceful, we'll just let it pass. If needed, I don't have her license plate number, but she does live in the neighborhood and I do know the details of the car (make/model/color) so it would be easy to ID.

Again, thank you so much for your encouraging words.

I just wanted to thank everyone for your kind and comforting words. Yesterday was very traumatic for me. I never expected anything like this to happen, so to see it happen in front of me + being screamed at, my mind went into shock. Today is a new day and I am feeling a whole lot better about the situation. Both dogs are casually gracing through the day like nothing happened.

The husky did started to shed in the area where the hot coffee was thrown at him last night. I know he recently did his first of two full sheds last month, so I wonder if I should be concerned about any skin reactions as a direct result from maybe being slight burned? Any thoughts?

As for health related problems, I did phone the vet early this morning to inform her of the situation. She said that as long as the dog did not eat any raw meat, he should be fine. There was no blood at the scene. So that is one less worry on my mind.

We have decided to postpone filing any reports on the lady. My husband and I thought about documenting everything because she overreacted and we didn't know if she was going to contact HOA and make up a BS story to harm our dogs. If things continue to be peaceful, we'll just let it pass. If needed, I don't have her license plate number, but she does live in the neighborhood and I do know the details of the car (make/model/color) so it would be easy to ID.

Again, thank you so much for your encouraging words.

I would think the dog's thick fur would protect him from being burned unless the coffee was super hot.
The animals get over things fast. Just a while ago, DH accidentally stepped on the cat's tail. The noise! He yowled loudly. 2 minutes later I called him to come get a bite of turkey and he came running......totally over being stepped on.
Hope you don't run into this nasty woman again. I'd probably let it go too unless she starts something with the HOA.

I would think the dog's thick fur would protect him from being burned unless the coffee was super hot.
The animals get over things fast. Just a while ago, DH accidentally stepped on the cat's tail. The noise! He yowled loudly. 2 minutes later I called him to come get a bite of turkey and he came running......totally over being stepped on.
Hope you don't run into this nasty woman again. I'd probably let it go too unless she starts something with the HOA.

My thoughts as well. However, last night was I was tucking him in (yes, I sit there and pet him until he dozes off), I noticed that the area around his upper back leg was starting to shed. It was the same area that she threw coffee at him. I remembered because I took him home immediately, examined the area and gave him a bath (he enjoys water). I used the furminator to pull the loose ones out and noticed there were some more this morning. Just hoping that he's ok. Poor thing.

I'd be more angry at the crazy woman. She had no idea what was going on but decided to get involved anyway- can't stand people like her.

I have two bulldogs. Bulldogs in general are not known for their prey drive. Apparently, one of mine didn't get the memo.

He goes after pigeons, squirrels, people jogging, bicycles, and small dogs.
We keep him on a no pull harness because we have no choice. He just zones out when he sees any of the above and it becomes nearly impossible to get his attention.

The no pull harness has definitely helped.

We have one of those as well and we typically use it on walks only. However, yesterday, we were coming back from the dog park. When we take the dogs to the park, the husky carries his travel pack (so he can carry his snacks, water bowl and water), which is a full body harness so his movements are limited (and he knows it, doesn't pull at all). The accident was just unfortunate. He didn't even move to chase the rabbit. It ran towards him and as it was trying to pass him, he snapped it up by the neck and continued to stand next to my husband with the rabbit in his mouth. He didn't try to run away from us, he just stood there.

I know he had good intentions and was just being a dog. He is very protective of our pack. Our cat will occasionally eat too fast and choke on his kibble. When he tries to hack the kibble up and makes a weird noise, the husky will come and stand next to him and whimper really loudly so we are aware of the situation. He is definitely not a killer dog like that lady was trying to make him out to be. Everything just happened too quickly with too many emotions, so I felt overwhelmed and didn't know how to respond and to which emotion first. I am glad that everyone is sharing, it really helps the coping process knowing that this is completely normal and my reaction was shared by others as well.

I'm sorry you experienced this.

When I was little kid we lived in Puerto Rico and our dog used to bring us lizards from the yard. We were not as excited about his gifts as he was!

I hope your doggie is okay and I'm sorry for the rabbit.
It is a dog's nature though, so don't feel badly about it.

Of course, everyone's got something to say – meaning the yelling lady. But throwing hot coffee? Are you kidding? Who's the animal now?

Big hugs to you, your hubby and your doggies.

I'm sorry this all happened to you and your dogs and husband. I don't blame you for becoming so upset. It was probably a good thing that you weren't able to take the rabbit from your dog's mouth. If it was still alive it would have probably bitten you for rabbits have sharp teeth and can really bite when they're afraid, and then you would have needed rabies shots. (I once freed a terrified screaming rabbit from a fence with my barking dog tied up nearby and I nearly became raw-meat myself. Not a smart thing to have done. Really should have gotten gloves.)

Huskies kill rabbits. As do other sorts of dogs. As do cats. It's the way of nature. In fact there are many wild animals that depend upon rabbits for food like coyotes, owls, hawks, foxes. Rabbits are the all-purpose food source for many species even in the urban environment and without their abundance they would not exist. We live in a somewhat wild area and I don't mean to sound heartless but I hear rabbits being turned into late-night meals by owls and coyotes on fairly a regular basis. Being a soft-hearted animal lover I sometimes try to intercede but both predator and prey are gone in an instant. I've also seen the neighbors' Husky grab rabbits in spite of the owners' efforts to prevent this. Their prey drive is strong. But I've also seen other breeds of dogs go after rabbits. That's the way of nature.

That woman's reaction was way out of line. Throwing hot coffee on your husband and dog was assault and she could have been arrested for that. If you have her license number I would consider filing a police report.

Again I'm sorry this happened to you. It wasn't your fault or your dog's. It's a good thing to train your dog to "drop" what's in their mouth on command. Important if they pick up something harmful or poisonous. But this is not an easy thing to teach, especially to a Husky. Good luck and hope everyone is calmed down by now!

This post exactly.

I know how you must feel (I know how I would feel as an animal lover in that situation), but you just have to accept that is a part of nature. Honestly once the rabbit was in his mouth, there is nothing you could really have done at that point, as the rabbit was likely already severely wounded and would have suffered. Dogs & cats are predators/hunters by nature.

I also completely agree about filing a police report. That woman throwing hot coffee on your husband & dog is assault. If she's willing to do that, IMHO there's no telling what else she might try to do if she sees your dogs again. That would also pre-empt any BS stories she tries to stir up. At the very least if your dog has any burns, I would send her insane a$$ the vet bill.

^I completely agree on filing a police report. At the very least, I would write down everything, including dates and times, and take photographs of your husband's burns and of your dog's skin (try parting the undercoat to get a photo), just in case. That woman is clearly a nutcase, and you should do everything you can to protect yourselves by keeping all documentation of the incident. If that rabbit had been her pet, perhaps a spray of cold water would have been appropriate to stun the dog, but hot coffee? That is just assault.

I have a German Shepherd and he has a very high prey drive, so I know how you feel. He is a pretty submissive and obedient dog, but if a squirrel ran across my dog's path, he would chomp it in a heartbeat, and nothing I say or do would stop him. That rabbit was a wild animal, and your dog was just following his instinct.

To be honest your dog didn't do anything wrong. It's an animal.

But I would have punched the woman for throwing hot coffee on my husband and dog.

Well, as tempting as that is, I don't know if I'd follow an assault with another assault. Plus she threw the coffee, ran into the street, threw a tantrum in the middle of the street (while cars are going in and out of our neighborhood), got into her car and screamed at us while she was slowly driving away. It was just a big hot mess overall.

As a husky owner I know that they have a strong small prey drive. What your dog did, while a bit uneasy to watch, was natural to him and he shouldn't be reprimanded.

The lady on the other hand, was completely out of line. I would've called the police.

Sorry this happened to you. That lady was way out of line.
My dog killed two baby mice last week and I was totally shaken up. He was outside in our yard and I thought he was just digging in the dirt. He wasn't. I totally freaked out and washed my dog's mouth and paws. I was so worried about anything he could have caught. I didn't think my dog would do anything like that, he's a great Dane boxer mix and has always been a lover not a hunter.

I agree with everyone who is reminding you that your breed has a good prey drive and was doing what was natural.
My dachshunds routinely dig up moles and voles and kill them. They have also found baby bunnies on the property and killed and eaten them. I am sure they were quite tasty.

Sorry this happened to you. That lady was way out of line.
My dog killed two baby mice last week and I was totally shaken up. He was outside in our yard and I thought he was just digging in the dirt. He wasn't. I totally freaked out and washed my dog's mouth and paws. I was so worried about anything he could have caught. I didn't think my dog would do anything like that, he's a great Dane boxer mix and has always been a lover not a hunter.

I've been told by many vets that it's very unlikely dogs will get sick from eating quarry.

What you should have done was immediately called the police and had that dumbass arrested for assault and battery, and had the dog and your husband inspected for injuries and take all kinds of photos of evidence.

What happens when she gets away with it? She will do it again, and get progressively more violent and end up killing someone with her ignorant rage.

As far as Huskies go, they are the closest descendant to the wolf (after descending from the spitz), and they do have that hunting instinct. Killing small various wildlife is just how they protect their pack. There's no way to prevent this, as you obviously can't socialize them with every creature in the city.

Huskies are very friendly and aloof, and aren't afraid of strangers no matter how tall. But, they aren't pushovers. You get on their bad side or piss them off, they will fight back ferociously like the strongest of Dobermans, no doubt.

My Husky of 7 years and counting, male, has killed enough critters for me to start putting tally marks on his chest like a WWII bomber plane! But luckily he was raised around cats, so when a stray cat comes in the yard, he doesn't automatically kill it.

He tries to be friendly, but cats of course don't want nothing of it. They just get spooked and he gets slapped in the face. I caught a stray cat before and brought the cat into my home, and even though he'd never seen the cat before in his life, he wanted to check it out and play with it like he used to with my old cats. He would go into a play bow and prance around the cat when the cat would stiffen up and hiss at him, not knowing the body signs for when a cat means "no". lol

I also have two anklebiters of Poms and he loves them to death, he gets so sad and cries while he watches me wash them, as they are soaking wet and they smell and look different to him. He accidentally steps on them or tramples them sometimes when he gets all crazy and runs all over, but never has hurt them. (People say that Huskies kill all small dogs >_> )

He did meet a possum before, but he was confused at it and was poking it with his paws trying to play with it, thinking it was a cat. It was a baby one that couldn't fake death, so it just huddled in a corner and hissed at him, so he made a howly commotion about it which alerted me to investigate. No idea where the mother was but luckily she wasn't doing her job, lol

He also bent a cheap metal tie out stake in half like a taco and ripped it from the ground while chasing a baby raccoon up a tree at the state park. The poor raccoon was up there shaking so much the branch was vibrating.

He can also feel gophers tunneling in my yard though his feet, and digs out all their tunnels, much to my chagrin of having to fill in lunar craters. I'm certain he can out-hunt a bloodhound!

Back on topic though, rabbits are easy for him to catch, as he sneaks on them from behind, and then bum rushes them while they are frozen in fear. No suffering, as they die within 8 seconds of his bite, it happens too fast for me to see, but I think he flings them by their necks, there's never any blood or broken skin on the rabbit, not that I want to touch the thing after.

He drops his kill prize though right when he sees me approaching him and trots off a distance and watches me, so never had an issue about them hanging onto it. He kills for sport, he's horrible. xD

I always hose his mouth out at an outward angle with the garden hose afterwards, and put dog dental gel liberally all over his mouth after it happens. Never had an issue with parasites or rabies in all the years. One rabbit he cornered bit him on the lip last year, and I put disinfectant on it and nothing bad happened there either.

He also found a freshly-dead Cardinal that fell out of a nest and was rolling on it, and squashed it and had bird blood all over his cheek. Same washing ritual performed and nothing ever happened.

He doesn't discriminate either, he's even tried to kill jumping spiders before, crawling around his water bowl. I'm like WTF? What's the matter with you? lol

But yeah, stuff like this happens, life is life, you cannot punish them for it. It's instinct, cannot be suppressed.