How rude is this?

Personally I think it's incredibly rude not to thank someone - no matter what stress you're under. Even if she had a bad time over Christmas (and we're only supposing that here) that's just not an excuse. She could still always say "thank you" and then go on to say that over Christmas someone dumped her or someone died. Lots of people thank others after losing a partner, parent etc.

I was always brought up to phone or write after someone had given me a gift and I'm glad of this. The late Princess of Wales also did this. Many people remember receiving a hand written note from her after some sort of gift, invitation - no matter how small.

At the end of the day there's nothing more true than the old saying "Manners maketh a man" and a woman also !!

Personally I wouldn't bother asking her if she liked them - it's up to her not you to do the chasing and finding out. You've already done your bit by choosing and thoughtfully buying the gift. You could ask if she had a nice Christmas/New year though.

Try not to let it bother you - it's not worth it. At the end of the day she's done herself no favors.

That sounds like a lovely and generous thing for you to do for your employees. Wow!

THat said:

1) She might not have received them
2) She might have received them, but without the card so she never knew who they were from

So, it might be best to ask directly if she got them because if she hadn't you wanted to know about security in the office with the cleaning staff or whatever.

If she did get them and forgot to say thank you, this will give her a gracious window in which to thank you.

If she didn't -- then you have another issue in your office.

If she says, "yes I got them," but doesn't thank you, then you know more about her character.

Without asking her, you can't really ever know if she received them.

I avoid giving chocolate to people unless I know they love it. With a lot of my friends dieting and with diabetes on the rise, one never knows.

OMG, how could you *not* rave about La Maison du Chocolat chocolates!! They are exquisite!!! :drool:

I would have to ask, LOL. I would have to know.

As much as I hate the 'game' of it, I'd be tempted to say, 'Hey, so did you dig those choclates, esp the xxx (lavender- mmm!) one?? They are are my favorites!' :shame:

I agree with Saligator. Personally I think though that if someone had put chocolates on my desk but the card had gone missing - as the recipient I'd have tried my best to find out who had left them. If the chocolates had gone missing altogether then there's another problem in the office !!:s

I agree with the majority and think that it is pretty rude not to thank someone when they take the time to give you a gift. However, the whole idea behind giving a gift is to show how much you appreciate that person. If she chooses not to show you that she appreciates it then that's her deal.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time worrying over whether or not a person has enough manners to be polite. Spend that precious time thinking about what your next purse purchase should be! lol.

It's probably no big deal, as she's probably just forgotten to thank you.

I'd just say, in a friendly way; 'Oh xxxxx, did you enjoy those La Maison du Chocolat chocolates?'. :biggrin:

Unless she didn't receive them, or didn't know they were from you, she'll probably say; 'Oh yes! They were gorgeous! I've been meaning to thank you!'.

If she just says; 'Yeah, thanks.' or 'Nah, I don't like chocolates.' then I'd think she was rude! :lol: