How rude is it?

I don't get this question too much. When it happens, I don't mind when it's a friend who's really into purses and who's trying to decide what to get next and if X style is in their range, but otherwise, it bothers me. I've never thought to say it was a gift. I'll have to try that next time.

I think some people are nosy and others are just clueless. I think the best response, as already noted, is to say that it was a gift.

BTW, when my hubbie asks, I always say it was on sale, 1/2 off and leave it at that. :sweatdrop:

It's a totally rude question. I think people are just getting ruder in general. My mother always taught me to never ask a person: 1) how much they earn, 2) how much they weigh, 3) how old they are and 4) NEVER how much they paid for anything! Believe it or not, even to this day, I can't ask that even to my own mother!! My only exception is here on tPF: if someone asks me, I know it's with genuine interest! I've also been asked any combo of my "never" questions quite frequently lately. Manners are just flying out the window.

I think it's usually rude, but depends on the person and how they say it. I mean, if my best friend asked me the price I wouldn't think much of it, because she's probably just genuinely curious and not asking to judge me. But I'd feel uncomfortable if, say, my future MIL asked me. I guess it has to do with their intent.

I'm not going to feel guilty about what I spend on my bags, because everyone has their things that they like to spend money on. It may be purses for me, but it might be shoes for my friend, electronics for so-and-so, etc. A lot of people just don't understand it, and that's fine because they don't have to. I don't understand some of the things that others spend their money on, but that's fine, it's their money. Like me and my mom, she doesn't understand the purse thing (and why you need more than one or two of them), but I don't understand one of her hobbies that she dumps $ into. Oh well, we joke about it.

It's a totally rude question. I think people are just getting ruder in general. My mother always taught me to never ask a person: 1) how much they earn, 2) how much they weigh, 3) how old they are and 4) NEVER how much they paid for anything! Believe it or not, even to this day, I can't ask that even to my own mother!! My only exception is here on tPF: if someone asks me, I know it's with genuine interest! I've also been asked any combo of my "never" questions quite frequently lately. Manners are just flying out the window.

That's some good advice from your mom!

But I agree, on tPF it's okay to ask "how much?" because, well, it's different! haha... I wouldn't flinch if I posted about a bag and someone asked how much I paid (especially if I got a good deal on it).

Oh it is ALWAYS uncomfortable if someone asks about how much my things are! Mainly because i know how some people ask because of a status thing or want to make judgements about you. I get reluctant to take out my expensive stuff or show people because they are bound to make judgements on your personality or something. Can't someone just like bags for a hobby or that it is necessary for whatever purpose we bought it for?
Gosh, it annoys me how some ppl think that we just 'have too much money on our hands' or 'snobby rich person' (even though it takes me ages to save for it!) sigh..

It's very rude.

I usually try to respond with "I got it on sale" or "it was a gift" and I never tell the price. Those questions make me uncomfortable.

I think people ask those kinds of questions when they are just being nosy. They want to know how much you make and/or what you're willing to spend your money on. Sometimes I think some people might ask that to determine whether your bag is fake or not. If you paid $100 for a Gucci horsebit, it's more than likely a fake.

Some people are totally asking to find out if it's real! I just always say it was a gift.

I've been asked that question many times. Most of the time, nosy & tactless people are the ones that asks. I always have 2 answers in hand. If the person asking is one who doesn't understand me for buying pricey purses, I always say something like $49.95 or bought on sale with an early bird discount to boot. Now, if the person is into designer I just blurt out the actual amount. As far as rudeness, sometimes it depends on how it was asked. If they don't like my answer and made a lecture about it then to me that's rude. If they asked and that's the end of it, then I'm fine with it. Some people do understand and some never will.

I agree with all of you, but some people just don't get it.. Most of the time I just elude the question and pretend I didn't hear it.. It's worse when it's a stranger and out of nowhere they ask you a question like that..Rude..

It's funny I get asked this the most from co-workers who carry fake handbags and would never for their life buy a real bag. I usually just say it's a gift because what I spend is no one's business. If it's someone genuinely interested in purchasing a designer bag then I will divulge more information.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I am honestly curious about something after reading some of the comments here.

If someone asks what you paid for something (rude as it may be), why would you lie about it or evade the question? Is it fear of being judged as either being cheap or extravagant? I've never worried about it either way, so I am trying to imagine what circumstance would make me lie or evade the question. Help me understand the need to not tell someone what you paid for a bag if you made the conscious decision to buy the bag at whatever price. :sad:

My mother taught me the same way. It is extremely rude to ask anyone those kind of questions.

I have been asked where I have gotten my bags and I have been asked how much my bags where but I just say it was a gift.

I think it depends on how well you know the person who's asked the question, but in general it's basically poor manners to inquire about the cost of an item......