How prices have changed

all about bags

Supreme bag lover!
O.G.
Nov 20, 2006
Always in an Hermes State of Mind
Two things I hate to think about:

How much Hermes used to cost.
How much Hermes will cost in the future.

One thing I hate to do:
Look at the receipts after I have bought Hermes and be reminded of what it costs now.

This thread is making me very sad. I am going to go hug my kelly.
Look at the bright side, CB!

Think about how much you SAVED since you bought your items before the price went up! :nuts:

Isn't this the same logic we use to justify going to sales/discount events? (At least I do! And DH ends up just scratching his head! :P)

CobaltBlu

Butterfly Wrangler
O.G.
Oct 20, 2006
Look at the bright side, CB!

Think about how much you SAVED since you bought your items before the price went up! :nuts:

Isn't this the same logic we use to justify going to sales/discount events? (At least I do! And DH ends up just scratching his head! :P)

so true dear.... We really can't afford NOT to buy!!;)
Why, I have saved a fortune in small leather goods alone.

Thank you AAB, I feel so much better now!:flowers:

I am going to go to ebay right now to see how much more money I can save, LOL :P

merrydish

O.G.
Nov 28, 2006
Today I bought an unused scarf from the mid-late 80s (I think?) with the original price tag on it. I paid $225, and the original price tag read $175. Feh. The 80s don't seem that long ago, either (at least to me)
Can you tell us the name of the scarf? I'm trying to figure out the year? Great thread. I have been wondering about these price increase over the years for a while.

gga

Satans Little Helper
O.G.
Dec 16, 2006
Can you tell us the name of the scarf? I'm trying to figure out the year? Great thread. I have been wondering about these price increase over the years for a while.
The one I was referring to above was L'Hiver en Poste. I think it's the later reissue, not the 1975 original issue, based on the $175 price tag, but the NM care tags look early? I'm not sure of the date on it at all.

The other 2 that followed me home were Pont-Neuf a Paris in good condition, and a Napoleon in brand new condition (It has to be the 1985 or 95 reissue, by the feel and colors.)

I left Promenade de Longchamps, Chasse a Tir, Pampa, and a great Watrigant behind. There were 50 scarves in the group, and the collector was clearly a fan of Ledoux.

Pepper

Raisinette
Authenticator
O.G.
Oct 12, 2006
Oy is right.
I hear that the USD is supposed to bottom out the summer of '08, so, if that is true...and there is a price increase soon...?
(notice that I didn't post this in the "the real taking it slow thread"--!)

all about bags

Supreme bag lover!
O.G.
Nov 20, 2006
Always in an Hermes State of Mind
so true dear.... We really can't afford NOT to buy!!;)
Why, I have saved a fortune in small leather goods alone.

Thank you AAB, I feel so much better now!:flowers:

I am going to go to ebay right now to see how much more money I can save, LOL :P
Yeah! I better call my SA to find out if there are opportunities for me to SAVE MORE money by buying sooner than later. :lol::lol:

Trocadero

Jun 27, 2007
Hmm, I thought my first scarf was under $100. That would be from a duty free shop eons ago. Then I paid $125 for a long time. My other earlier purchases were agendas and key chains - some for gifts. The favorite sterling key chain I bought for $125 in the late 80's would be about $650 now( if I coulld find it). I didn't start buying handbags until much later. I thought they were too matronly :nuts: . My first Birkin was about $3000. I thought two would be enough. Little did I know....

The horrible exchange rate has given me a new appreciation for what I have.

serazo

Sep 23, 2006
I bought my first authentic Birkin in 2002 from Boston Hermes and it was $5350 for a BJ 40cm in togo. I was so green then and felt so overwhelmed with guilt that I decided to sell it and almost consigned it new for $5000 (I had no clue of the premium they commanded), but decided to ask for what I paid including the tax. I thought I was pushing it since nothing ever sells for over retail once it leaves a traditional retailers and you try and sell as an individual. I started to get a clue when the consignor paid me on the spot and later to my dismay I saw that she had sold it for $11-13K more than double the price I paid.

duna

O.G.
Feb 9, 2006
Liberté;4359322 said:
Eumh.. So how about european prices? in particular the ones in France /other euro countries?
The price increases here in Europe, for Hermès, are 8-10% each 1st January!

I paid my first 32 Box Kelly in 1980, the equivalent of 400 euro roughly, (we didn't have the Euro back then) But I can assure you it was A LOT of money then aswell; inflation gallops, and also here in Italy when we changed from Lire to Euro (in 2001) prices doubled almost over night; i.e. what you payed 1000 Lire (roughly 50 cents of an Euro) you suddenly, payed 1 Euro:wtf:. Obviously lots of people speculated on this currency change.