How popular is Baby Daim?

AliciaDA

Aug 25, 2011
There is a baby daim city for sale at my local boutique, thinking about buying it and see if I like it and if not, resell it. Its currently on hold but the SA is going to call me if it isn't picked up. It seems like not a popular style, so wondering it won't hold it's value as well as the full leather styles? Thoughts? Should I buy it!? It's $939.00

Im not sure about its re-sale value, but it doesn't seem to be that popular. I think the whole appeal for Balenciagas are their extremely soft and/or distressed leather.

Also there's a lot of stigma attached to suede, especially in bags. I think people are more scared of how it will wear. I was personally scared of suede and never in a million years would I think about owning one.

But when I saw the burgundy city at Barney's, I couldn't let it go. The suede is so beautiful and soft and there a few ladies here who own them who also love the feel of the suede. Not sure who it was but an owner mentioned that she was caught in light rain and her bag was fine, she of course waterproofed it before wearing it and that made me feel at ease.

What colour is the bag you have on hold?

PinkPeonies said:
Im not sure about its re-sale value, but it doesn't seem to be that popular. I think the whole appeal for Balenciagas are their extremely soft and/or distressed leather.

Also there's a lot of stigma attached to suede, especially in bags. I think people are more scared of how it will wear. I was personally scared of suede and never in a million years would I think about owning one.

But when I saw the burgundy city at Barney's, I couldn't let it go. The suede is so beautiful and soft and there a few ladies here who own them who also love the feel of the suede. Not sure who it was but an owner mentioned that she was caught in light rain and her bag was fine, she of course waterproofed it before wearing it and that made me feel at ease.

What colour is the bag you have on hold?

It's burgundy! :biggrin: There was a blue one that we saw and I wasn't interested at the time (I ended up buying a leather velo) but after we left my DH and I discussed it and he said maybe we should call back and see the price since at the time we didn't. The blue one sold but she mentioned a burgundy was on hold in the back and she would call me tomorrow about it. So that reassures me that you love yours!! I looked online and the color was really pretty!

Would you mind taking a picture of it for me? Just want to make sure the image online is the correct color that I googled :biggrin:

Here are some pics. I think im attracted to it cos of the hardware. The darker nickel is a great contrast to the deep
Burgundy suede.

Attachments

• image-2475250060.jpg
    image-2475250060.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 818
  • image-2977217804.jpg
    image-2977217804.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 859
  • image-1178269147.jpg
    image-1178269147.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 907
I'm buying it :smile: It's a bit more then we thought (she quoted me another bag instead by accident). But I love how its different; so hopefully I will still love it when I receive it :biggrin:

I love suede and have owned many in the past. I wouldn't hesitate to get another suede bag if one caught my eye. I will say I am not rough with my bags, don't toss them around, don't sit them on floors, don't take them in the rain, etc.

These comments are strictly my opinion on suede bags and you may or may not agree with them! :smile:

This is my first post on TPF, although I have been a bit of a lurker for awhile :smile:
I thought I would give my two cents...

I have a purple suede velo that I love to pieces! I know some think suede is too delicate but I find it quite sturdy. You don't have to worry about fingernail marks or scuffs and it also has that "broken in" feel right away - it already lays flat against my body when worn cross body, while my other (non suede) velo still has more of a structured feel.
Of course my favorite thing about suede Bal bags is the combo of the pewter hardware AND the tassels! I think I would be much more of a mini giant hardware fan if the bags came with the tassels too!
I wouldn't say I baby my bag. I haven't sprayed it with anything. I wouldn't go out in the pouring rain or anything but I have been caught out in the rain before and it's held up fine. The only sign of wear on it is where the studs meet the suede when the handles are lying flat against the bag - and that's only on the base of the handles, not very noticable. I've had this bag for over a year.
I would say the only downside to the suede is I kind of feel it's a seasonal fabric, I just can't bring myself to use it in the summer.

This is my first post on TPF, although I have been a bit of a lurker for awhile :smile:
I thought I would give my two cents...

I have a purple suede velo that I love to pieces! I know some think suede is too delicate but I find it quite sturdy. You don't have to worry about fingernail marks or scuffs and it also has that "broken in" feel right away - it already lays flat against my body when worn cross body, while my other (non suede) velo still has more of a structured feel.
Of course my favorite thing about suede Bal bags is the combo of the pewter hardware AND the tassels! I think I would be much more of a mini giant hardware fan if the bags came with the tassels too!
I wouldn't say I baby my bag. I haven't sprayed it with anything. I wouldn't go out in the pouring rain or anything but I have been caught out in the rain before and it's held up fine. The only sign of wear on it is where the studs meet the suede when the handles are lying flat against the bag - and that's only on the base of the handles, not very noticable. I've had this bag for over a year.
I would say the only downside to the suede is I kind of feel it's a seasonal fabric, I just can't bring myself to use it in the summer.

Thanks! And welcome to TPF!! I feel honored your first post was my thread :heart:

I ended up buying it but there was weird stamping on the tassles and handles looked used :sad: so I'm returning it, totally bummed but guess it wasn't meant to be!

Here's my thread http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga/found-weird-defect-on-tassels-what-is-it-798228.html

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Yes, I saw the picture of the tassels. Very strange!
I'm sure you'll find another great one soon. I saw a lovely blue suede city on Beyond the Rack last week. None in the gorgeous red that you found though...