How old??!?!

I carried a purse at 12. It was probably like $20. I wanted to be cool and hold my books under arm and hold a purse. I soon realized a backpack was a lot easier. I did continue to use the purse on weekends and whenever I went out to mall or dinner with my parents.

I started carrying a purse when i was 9-10ish, however it was definitely nothing even remotely designer. By the time i was 12-13 i carried one each day no matter what. I got my first designer bag at 16 (a little white all-leather Coach).

I think if she is not used to carrying a bag you should start with a less expensive item to see how well she responds to it. Some girls find a bag important at that age and some don't, and it is important to know how she feels about having a bag before investing in something she won't want anyway.

Once she gets used to it and carrying it becomes second-nature, then the possibility of her forgetting it somewhere or losing it becomes far smaller. That is the point where I might invest in something a little pricier.

I think 14 is fine to start carry a purse. I actually started a little younger. My mom used to give me her old purses. I would carry a mirror, a comb, a pack of gum, and some money if I had it. I didn't really get into carry a purse though until after I started menstruating. I needed a place to stash my pads and stuff.

It depends on how interested she is in carrying a bag....my two year old niece LOVES purses and she has quite a collection going (mostly disneys or bright pink numbers haha) but then again my cousin thats 17 hates purses so she just puts things in her back pocket...all depends on the person

If its the question of when should they be ALLOWED, i think a purse is a purse...its not like makeup, theres nothing wrong in carrying things around. BUT i would not buy a 14 year old a really nice bag, i mean if they got stright A's than fine get them a juicy/coach but i dont think a 14 year old should be wearing a gucci/LV or chanel.....IMO they should enjoy their youth and not worry about the 1000+ purse! :smile:

sorry for those that have kids that give them those types of things...thats just my opinion!!! :smile:

My daughter carries her Coach demi that she saved a year for, so she is so very careful with it.
She doesnt take it to school, they can use their backpacks for all classes because it is so far away from lockers ....

She carries it at night and weekends.....She wants the Dooney Splash

Whenever she's comfortable with one, then she should have one. I didn't start carrying one until I was 14 and a freshman in high school. My mom kind of made me though because I was always tossing my lip gloss, makeup, wallet, etc. in her purse so she thought I should have one for myself.

ummm....I don't even remember when I started to carry a purse.....3? 4? 5? I dunnno! It was not a designer purse or anything extravagant, but I do know that I started young. I think I carried candies in them, then they would all melt and get sticky in the bag lol. If your daughter's 14, I think it's appropriate to carry a purse for her personal belongings :yes:

My mom bought me my first purse at 11. It was a $20 purse at macys. I didn't carry a purse really until high school and then only on the weekends. I used my backpack during the week.
14 sounds old enough to me.

i didn't start carrying a purse until i started college. before then a diesel messenger bag, which i loved and held everything in the world! i agree that a good idea is to start her off on something less expensive - i was so absentminded, i always lost everything when i was younger and didn't start paying attention to my worldly possessions until i had to buy it myself! :Push:

I have had a love of handbags since the age of 3. Yes I started young. ;) I always carried cheap ones until I was 13. Then I got my dream Gucci. I was very responsible and took good care of my things though.

i think any age is appropriate for a girl to carry a purse as long as the design suits her age group. i wouldn't give a 5 year old a louis vuitton but i would buy her a nice hello kitty handbag from the boutique.