How old is this bag?

betises_lau

Apr 4, 2006
I own a bag marked with a "C" without any geometric figure. If J is 2006, how old could my bag be?

I think it is from 1947, but I can hardly believe it! I woud then own a piece of vintage hermes that is almost 60 years old? What do you think?

I've checked in the sticky "Informative catalog" and in post #86( I think) it says that from 1945 to 1970 there were letters without geometric symbols, then from 1970 to 1996 letters in a circle, and from 1997 onward letters in a square. So, if this is correct, yours should be from 1947 as you said!..:flowers:

Mmmmmmmmmmm! I'm jealous! I actually love the vintage pieces more than the newer ones. Some people say the leather was better from that period, since the cows had a better diet, and I'm inclined to agree. Whenever I see a vintage Hermes I imagine someone like Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn carrying that bag. I also wonder about the fabulous people and places that bag has seen.

I got it from an Australian Lady on eBay a few years ago and yes, it is my avatar! As a result of its 60-year-old patina, the box leather is very shiny (not like patent latent, though). :love:

Though I took it to a few weddings, I usually carry this bag for informal occasion. I'll wear wool trousers, a turtle neck and ballet flats and the bag makes the outfit!

betises_lau said:
I got it from an Australian Lady on eBay a few years ago and yes, it is my avatar! As a result of its 60-year-old patina, the box leather is very shiny (not like patent latent, though). :love:

Though I took it to a few weddings, I usually carry this bag for informal occasion. I'll wear wool trousers, a turtle neck and ballet flats and the bag makes the outfit!

I wear my vintage the same way!! Your Kelly has such a nice patina.
My Kelly has the number 10 on the strap...no letter so I'm wondering if somebody knows the year it was made.