How old does an object have to be before you consider it to be 'vintage'?

r15324

Dismembered
O.G.
Nov 23, 2009
Title says all! Was reading a thread asking members to post their vintage bags, a particular lady posted her bag from 1999, classifying it as vintage. Vintage to me, is pre-1960 :lol:. When to you does a bag become vintage?

I'm have a similar thought to you r15324, so I just did a quick google and a there was a plethora of differing opinions. The disturbing thing is though, the number 40+ kept coming up, so that means I have to classify myself as vintage :biggrin:

I'm have a similar thought to you r15324, so I just did a quick google and a there was a plethora of differing opinions. The disturbing thing is though, the number 40+ kept coming up, so that means I have to classify myself as vintage

my personal rule of thumb has always been, anything made before I was born! that way piggies are never vintage - it works out quite handily, no? (^(oo)^)

When I was selling jewelry on the bay, I listed anything 25-49 years old as vintage and anything 50+ years old as antiques. Never had a listing closed for lying so I guess those were acceptable definitions.

I think vintage things get better with age. I am just not sure what that threshold is. My very first LV bag was 30 years old. The people that had it before me took every good care of it. I think most things get better with age. However with people that is not always the case LOL.

Anyway, on topic I would say anything 10 years and older would be considered vintage.

All the word "vintage" means is a period of origin or manufacture. In other words, something that was made for a certain amount of time and then discontinued. So something from 10 years or even 1 year ago can be "vintage" if it is no longer manufactured. Wines are vintage because they all come from a single year. A wine from 2 years ago is considered a 2008 vintage.
I think people confuse the word with "antiques" which has more to do with how old something actually is. Even that is subjective too. Some people consider items from the 50s "antiques" when others just consider them "classic".