How Often do you Wash Your Hair?

**Poll: How often do you wash your hair?**

• Everyday! Can't stand *not* washing my hair everyday!

• About 2 - 3 times a week! It helps keep my hair sleek and shiny!

• About 4 - 6 times a week! Love how my hair looks!

• Only once a week, and my hair looks fantastic!

• Other: Please describe your hair ritual! :)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I take showers pretty often (at LEAST every day) but I can't wash my hair that much. For one thing, it looks dry if I don't let some of the natural oils settle a bit. Plus, I'd spend all my time doing my hair since is THICK and it turns out really wavy and poufy when it gets wet. So besides that, I also straighten it myself (I wouldn't ever chemically straighten since my hair is also colored) and I'd probably end up wasting time on my hair.
I just wash it twice a week and that seems to work out pretty well.

I do the same thing for the same reasons. :yes: I had switched shampoos and found I was getting greasy about day 2, so I switched back to Garnier Fructis.

i usually do every other day, sometimes i let it go an extra day.
me too. well, i guess it depends. when my hair was short i had to wash it everyday to restyle it, it was such a pain i decided to never go that short again. when i wear it natually wavy/curly i wash ot the next day to restyle it too. when i blow it out i let it go for as long as possible with out washing it, usually every 2 days, but if i do a good blow out it can last 3 or 4 with still looking and feeling clean.

I wash mine every day. My hair goes down past my butt and it gets too greasy and dirty, I have to wash it every day.

The only way I won't wash it is if I know I'm not leaving the house and stay in my pjs all day or I'm sick. But usually by the end of the second day of not washing it, I feel like my hair gets so f**king gross that it makes me sick and I have to wash it.

Adore, I really think you're overwashing. Also, do you use conditioner all over? I only use it on my roots and then once a week I do a deep conditioner all over. Maybe the product you use (redken something i think you said) should be switched to a product for oily hair.

I shower every day, and wash my hair every other day.

I briefly experimented with washing my hair every day (out of curiosity), but it made my hair way too dry, so I switched back to every other day (which was just right).

Thanks again very much for replies.

Wow, I had no idea so many people did not wash their hair every day, too! It's such a pain; I wish I could go a few days without washing mine, but it's too greasy after a while.

I think what had initially bothered me is the fact that before now, I only washed it once a day. But maybe it really does make sense to shower a second time on the weekends when I'll be out late... I suppose because if I'm showering at 6am for work, by the time I get home and shower, it will already be 6pm= 12 hours later... so another 6+ hours out at night is 18 hours.

So I don't know... I'm a little unsure as to how it all started-- did I just notice it, or has it gotten worse? No idea...

i am now in a hot climate place so i have to wash my hair daily. but back in Canada, i will wash my hair every 2 days in the winter or just during the cold days.

I go 2-3 days all the time. I used to wash every day when I was younger, but by 27-28 years old, I found that I was really breaking my hair down by doing this. I also have highlights, so I want to try to minimize the damage. If I work out, obviously, I wash, but if not, I can easily stretch it several days. I actually read in Allure, I think it was, just recently(they had hair models they were interviewing) where the girls there with perfect hair were saying once a week. One of them even said she had waited 2 weeks so that the natural oils would get all the way to the ends. ICK. I could not stand myself if I waited that long. It would be horrible. I think a lot depends on the hair texture, the amount of hair you have and the tendency you have towards an oily scalp. I noticed that as I have aged a bit, my hair is much less oily. I also will wash more in the summer as the sweat factor makes it more necessary more often. All in all, I used to hate going more than a day, but now, the longer I can wait, the better I feel about the damage I do to my hair.

I pull mine back in a pony tail and lean over the sink or tub...dampen the front (about midway along the scalp forward) and use a small dab of shampoo, work it in from the front, and rinse by splashing water until it rinses clear. Then I towel it while it is still pulled back using a microfiber super-absorbent towel. My hair takes a long time to dry (I rarely use a blow-dryer), so this works really well for me.

Thanks so much:heart: :heart: I tried this and it worked soooo well, I can't believe I hadn't tried this sooner. I just did the hair around my face about 1 inch section. It looked like I washed and dried my hair, but it only took a few minutes. Looks fab. I do love all the wonderful tips on tPF!!! Thanks a ton.