How often do you hide your purchases from your SO and why?

oggers86

Dec 7, 2008
I know theres a lot of you out there that hide purchases from your SO, why do you do it? Is it the price, the fact you have been shopping again or just the fact that you have too many of an item of clothing.

I went shopping today and on impulse got myself a jacket. However I really should hide it from the bf, he thinks I have too many as it is and just wouldnt understand. I also bought a hat and a scarf which I am perfectly fine for him to see as I dont have very many.

I wonder how long it will be before he notices...

It's not that I "hide" my purchases, I just don't proactively tell him about them! :smile: I shop 100% online and he sees the boxes arrive. He also sees all of my credit card statements so he is definitely not in the dark. It's a psychological thing -- if I made an announcement about EVERY purchase, he would get unnerved. If I just keep shopping within my budget and refrain from making a big deal out of it, all is well. :smile:

^Me too! He usually notices things when I'm wearing them. He noticed that I had a different bag and I got the usual evil eye! Hey he doesn't get the evil eye when he buys a expensive tool...

No. Everyone in my life knows I like to shop a lot. But they also know I work hard and save a lot, too. My priorities are #1, and I work too hard not to pay myself/treat myself first.

I don't really have to hide because I have so much! He can't ascertain what is new and what has been there for a while. If he asks...I tell.

Same here! I have too much clothing, period. It would take a genius to figure out what was new and what wasn't. He generally only notices what I'm wearing when it's tight or low-cut :rolleyes: and since I'm focused mostly on buying non-"sexy" items, my DH usually doesn't notice when I have something new. Intellectually, he MUST know that I'm spending because he does see my credit card statements, but after all these years together he has become de-sensitized to my spending patterns!

I rarely ever hide a purchase. I do generally bring things into the house when the kids are asleep (especially during the holidays) so they don't want to immediately try anything I bought for them, so dh often doesn't see my purchases, though. I don't make a point to show him because he thinks shopping is a funny, girly pastime and just doesn't "get it". But he has a fair idea. Like KristyDarling said, he DOES see the credit card statements, but after all this time he just smiles and nods. He doesn't get upset about much.

And I would have NEVER hidden a purchase when he was my SO and not my dh. Unless we are married, my money is mine and I can spend it anydamnway I see fit. I would be really offended if an SO ever felt he had any right to get upset at my spending.

this is a funny thread. when i get boxes my bf definitely asks me what's in them. he thinks i've been shopping too much lately but actually two of the last orders were xmas gifts (including something for him!) so yes i have to hide them from him sometimes. i will admit that once i even left work early to open and hide a package that i didn't want him to know about. :sweatdrop: for him it's more a storage issue b/c we don't have a lot of closet space in our apt.

I don't hide anything from him because it's my own money and as long as I'm not in debt and can pay my half of the rent, how I'm spending it is my own business. If he tries to tell me that I'm spending too much on clothes, I point to his collection of $400+ surfboards or his two fancy road bikes.

Nope! I make my own money and have ZERO debt, and for big purchases I always save up and pay it off immediately. DH has expensive hobbies (he likes to fly-which is lots of $$$ per hour), so he doesn't mind me indulging in pricey things. He actually accompanied me on my last trip to Balenciaga, which I was nervous about-as I wasn't 100% sure how he was going to react about me spending $1800 on a purse in front of his very eyes.

To my surprise, he helped me decide between colors, LOVED the personal service, and also loved the craftsmanship of the bags, shoes and clothes.