How often do you go (booth) tanning? Upkeep in between?

I used to work in a tanning salon(through college) and went a few times a week. The people in those places can be very psychotic. There were women who came in every single day and they looked like jerky. I kept wanting to tell them that they would not get pale if they skipped a day or two in between, but i think everyone has their addictions. Since them I have become more careful about tanning and learned to like myself without a tan(because I like myself without wrinkles). I still go every once in awhile for a special occasion(weddings, before vacation in sun, etc) I bought a four month unlimited package before last summer, knowing that I would be able to visit up until my best friend's wedding. I went off an on for a few weeks, then did not go back until about 4 days before the wedding. It was a total waste of money because I have conditioned myself to be wary of sun exposure. I get a tan in the summer now, and that is about it. Until you feel concern about the dangers of tanning, just try to not over-do it. A visit a week will leave you with a bit of color that you may not notice, but others will. Much more than that and you may look very fake, orange, or ashy and could be harming your skin. Knowing that people will do what they want, I would have to say anytime you are going more than every other day, you are ABSOLUTELY overdoing it. Once you have a base tan, it takes very little work to maintain and if you are a person who burns and will not tan, I cannot stress enough that you are not only wasting your money but seriously harming your skin by tanning in a bed. Stick to Mystic Tan, which should be all you need to get a fabulous glow.

I used to work in a tanning salon(through college) and went a few times a week. The people in those places can be very psychotic. There were women who came in every single day and they looked like jerky. I kept wanting to tell them that they would not get pale if they skipped a day or two in between, but i think everyone has their addictions. Since them I have become more careful about tanning and learned to like myself without a tan(because I like myself without wrinkles). I still go every once in awhile for a special occasion(weddings, before vacation in sun, etc) I bought a four month unlimited package before last summer, knowing that I would be able to visit up until my best friend's wedding. I went off an on for a few weeks, then did not go back until about 4 days before the wedding. It was a total waste of money because I have conditioned myself to be wary of sun exposure. I get a tan in the summer now, and that is about it. Until you feel concern about the dangers of tanning, just try to not over-do it. A visit a week will leave you with a bit of color that you may not notice, but others will. Much more than that and you may look very fake, orange, or ashy and could be harming your skin. Knowing that people will do what they want, I would have to say anytime you are going more than every other day, you are ABSOLUTELY overdoing it. Once you have a base tan, it takes very little work to maintain and if you are a person who burns and will not tan, I cannot stress enough that you are not only wasting your money but seriously harming your skin by tanning in a bed. Stick to Mystic Tan, which should be all you need to get a fabulous glow.

Thanks very much!

But how often should I expect to use the Mystic tan-- can that last a month? I was thinking of swinging by the salon tonight to cancel (I've been seriously considering it for months, and my commitment is up... and people in this thread are mentioning the Mystic Tan!)

Thanks for any help! I don't trust the people who work there. #1 reason is something called TINGLE TAN.

Yep, that tingle stuff is intense. Like I said, people get obsessed with it. Mystic did not do anything for me because of my skin tone. I am simply naturally deeper skinned than the stuff they spray. I think they say it lasts about a week or maybe a bit longer depending on how frequently you shower, exfoliate, etc. The Mystic was not in my salon, so I never really had a lot of experience with it firsthand. I would say there is no chance of it lasting a month, though. After all, it is a spray on product. It will eventually wear off, like any self tanner, which is basically all it is in the first place, it is the method of application that works well with Mystic Tan vs. at home products. Even with Mystic, be careful of your hands looking odd and I agree about breathing the stuff in, it is nasty.

Tanning booths
=
Cancer in a box!

The only safe tan is a tan in a bottle.

That is a quote from a skin cancer doctor.

Find a bronzing lotion and fall in love with it.

Tanning booths
=
Cancer in a box!

The only safe tan is a tan in a bottle.

That is a quote from a skin cancer doctor.

Find a bronzing lotion and fall in love with it.

Actually there is no established link between tanning beds and cancer. Burning is what causes damage and most of that is linked to kids who go outside and get sunburns a lot who later in life develop skin problems.

20 minute tanning sessions are much more controlled than going outside for hours in the sun which is where most people burn. A good base tan is a natural protection from burning.

I usually tan every summer by the pool to be honest. but I decided it's time I totally quit and try my best to stay away from the sun.
I'm using face creams with spf now and trying my best to take care of my skin.
I don't want wrinkles or Cancer..and the only way I can get that wish is to stay away from the sun.
I never hated my light white skin but now I love it even more, it's always great to know you're healthy and safe.

Actually there is no established link between tanning beds and cancer.

That's not true, according the NIH (National Institute of Health):

Long-term exposure to artificial sources of ultraviolet rays like tanning beds (or to the sun's natural rays) increases both men and women's risk of developing skin cancer. In addition, exposure to tanning salon rays increases damage caused by sunlight because ultraviolet light actually thins the skin, making it less able to heal. Women who use tanning beds more than once a month are 55 percent more likely to develop malignant melanoma, the most deadly form of skin cancer.