How often do you give your dog a bath?

I give Gidget a bath once a week, sometimes every 3-4 days in the summer time. She is a short hair chiuhuhua and she lives inside with us, so she has to smell good always! But she loves to go outside and roll around in the grass so she needs a bath at least once a week. I use lavendar baby shampoo on her and Biolage conditioner. She has had no itching or reactions at all, and smells divine. Good for snuggling!

juliamike said:
Robyn, is there a line of shampoo that you recommend? TIA

For the labbie in your avatar?

What does she eat? Diet frequently affects skin and coat.

I would say start with Fresh Pet by Top Performance which is available from Pet Edge. It is gentle, inexpensive and has a great scent.

Welcome to PetEdge - Professional Pet Products & Pet Supplies at Wholesale Prices

If she tends to be really greasy, Les Pooches orange degreaser is a good choice, it is a lot harsher, but it cuts the grease and gets a dog squeaky clean without causing itchyness.

3-4 times a month and several times a day i also just clean up down there, im very anal about that, i like my pup to be clean because hes allowed on the sofas and my bed, and i dont want any of those oh so delightful stains on me or my sheets. before i used huggies wash cloth, but now i just take a damp tissue and then dry him off. i also try to brush his teeth every day.

I wash my little dog once a week usually because she thinks she's a big dog and get dirty. I take my big dog to the groomers about once a month because she tends to smell by then.

I try to give Riley a bath once a month, but since I'm the only one who does it, it's really hard getting my almost 100lb puppy into the tub, not even treats work lol..

I took in a Pomchi and he's 8 weeks old, his name is Meeko :smile:

He hasn't gotten his shots yet (I'm taking him this Tues!) and he came from a bad home.. he's been dewormed, that's it.

Anyways, I brought him home on Friday and gave him a bath.

It's been only 2 days but he's already smelly!

I use to have a Japanese Chin and she wasn't as smelly as Meeko.. she would get a bath every time we brought her out (house dog) but if she wasn't out, once every 1-2 weeks.

I am confused on what to do with Meeko because he really smells.. does this have anything to do with his previous home :sad:?

Help!

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-07-02 at 18.20.jpg
    Photo on 2010-07-02 at 18.20.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 100
I took in a Pomchi and he's 8 weeks old, his name is Meeko :smile:

He hasn't gotten his shots yet (I'm taking him this Tues!) and he came from a bad home.. he's been dewormed, that's it.

Anyways, I brought him home on Friday and gave him a bath.

It's been only 2 days but he's already smelly!

I use to have a Japanese Chin and she wasn't as smelly as Meeko.. she would get a bath every time we brought her out (house dog) but if she wasn't out, once every 1-2 weeks.

I am confused on what to do with Meeko because he really smells.. does this have anything to do with his previous home :sad:?

Help!

You should discuss this with your vet because he may have some sort of infection. Some years ago we adopted a dog who had been badly abused. He had a bad staph infection on his skin. His ears were also infected and pretty horrible smelling. And it took many baths to get him smelling nice. In fact I seem to recall it took about a month of twice-weekly baths to get him smelling like a gentleman hound.

We've fostered rescue dogs and have often gotten dogs with yeast infections in the folds of their skin--and those can smell horrible--impacted anal glands (gasp!)--ear infections (eww!)--and rotting teeth (pew!). Plus if they haven't been bathed regularly the fur can pick up nasty smells which are hard to get rid of.

So discuss it with your vet. Your vet can steer you towards special dog shampoos that will address specific problems with the skin and fur. And your vet can also check the little guy out for infections that might not be apparent.

Good luck! He looks like a cutie!

My little one, since she is almost all white. She usually gets one about every 3 weeks. My bigger one who is mostly brown gets one about every 6 weeks.

Dusty the furball gets a bath once a month and he hates it. Then, I take him outside so he can run around and dry off - at least when it's warm out. He takes forever to dry, and when he's wet, he smells awful, but as soon as he's dry, he smells like roses. It's bizarre.

My Min Pin gets a bath once a month before I give him his heartguard and flee medication. I have a book on min pins and it said they should not take baths often because frequent baths could dry their skin.

You should discuss this with your vet because he may have some sort of infection. Some years ago we adopted a dog who had been badly abused. He had a bad staph infection on his skin. His ears were also infected and pretty horrible smelling. And it took many baths to get him smelling nice. In fact I seem to recall it took about a month of twice-weekly baths to get him smelling like a gentleman hound.

We've fostered rescue dogs and have often gotten dogs with yeast infections in the folds of their skin--and those can smell horrible--impacted anal glands (gasp!)--ear infections (eww!)--and rotting teeth (pew!). Plus if they haven't been bathed regularly the fur can pick up nasty smells which are hard to get rid of.

So discuss it with your vet. Your vet can steer you towards special dog shampoos that will address specific problems with the skin and fur. And your vet can also check the little guy out for infections that might not be apparent.

Good luck! He looks like a cutie!

Thank you so much for this advice!

I do recall my Chin getting her ears cleaned and after that, she also had her odor go away.

I am taking him into the vet first thing tomorrow morning, thank you thank you thank you!