How often do you give your dog a bath?

I give my longhaired kitty a bath every few weeks, but no longer than a month. I also give her a bath after the vet or after vacation. I usually use Four Paws Magic Coat shampoo(makes her smell really good) from petco, but if we are out, we use johnsons mild baby soap.

I bathe my beagle once a month. The vet says even less often is better, since baths strip the skin of natural oils. But my beagle has lots of white fur and I want it to be fluffy and white. :biggrin:

When he was a baby he hated being in the water and always cried. Now he's used to it and he just stands super still while he waits for us to finish.

Tammy518 said:
I bathe my pug about once every week or two. I know they technically say that's too often, but she's nine months none and doesn't seem the worse for it. She gets stinky quick!
Same here, my malty gets dirty playing in the yard & he gets a bath whenever he needs it, usually every 10 days. No problems with his skin ever & we use a whitening shampoo only once a month. There are some good colognes for dogs[never in my life did I ever imagin that I would utter those words] that help whenever he needs just a rinse for muddy feet & face.

once a month if she does not stink. but she likes to roll around on this stinking smell that is unbearable (smells like dead animals). if thats the case, she will get a bath right away.

j_petite808 said:
I have a chihuahua daschund mix and I usually give him a bath every other week or so, but reading everyone's comments makes me wonder if that is whats giving him rash. It's just that he starts smelling like doritos after a week or so...I guess if it'll help the rash I can deal with the doritos smell!

I've heard on a pug forum that pugs smell like Fritos, and I notice that my pug does smell like Fritos, so I know where you're coming from with the Doritos! LOL!

What I learned from my vet is that puppies should be given a bath only after they complete all their shots. That would roughly take around 3 months. I just wipe off the puppy until it is strong enough and has complete shots. After that, I give the dog a bath once a week.

we have a 100 lb husky/chow & he only goes every 6-8 weeks. i heard you really should NOT bathe your dog more than that b/c it irritates their skin. he is actually at the groomer today.....poor little guy, he is probably so scared right now! here's Zeus.....

Attachments

• zeus (3).jpg
    zeus (3).jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 224
for my husky, i used to bathe her 2 times a year. she NEVER needed a bath. never got dirty...never smelled...coat was always fluffy.

as for my poodle and peke, i bathe them about 1-2 times a month at home. the poodle goes to the groomers about once every 2-4 months because i trim him at home. they also get a quick rubdown with a wet cloth after their walks which helps to keep them cleaner for longer.