How often do you get a bad hair cut or not what you wanted?

Adore

"BLONDIE"
Sep 17, 2006
I'm trying to tell myself that I am due for a bad haircut/not what I wanted because that's exactly what happened today! The hairdresser I went to cut my hair way too short and I'm actually really upset about it! I am used to very long hair, mid-back... and it's at least 2-3 inches too short, just enough to make it be noticeable. I really need those 2-3 inches!

But yeah, I guess I was just due for one? Isn't a haircut that doesn't turn out how you like it a part of life or something? haha... but really, I'm actually almost going to cry :sad: Would 3 inches grow back in 8 weeks? Nooo idea... everyone is different anyway, agh!

I thought I had mastered getting exactly what I want from a hairdresser but I guess not... :sad:

I honestly don't want to get up because I'll just look in the mirror at it... and it's not like it's too short PLUS bad... I just looked at pictures from yesterday and they DEFINITELY took like 5 inches off... I am so upset, I seriously showed them 1 inch... just one... how does ONE turn into 5...? I'm so upset. . .

Last edited:
Aww sorry to hear that. The only REALLY BAD hair cut i received was a make over and they did everything I told them not to do! it was tragic. it took a good 2 years to grow out. The dye fried my hair... hehe..so now that I found my perfect hair dresser and i've never had a tragic hair day again..hehe

Hardly ever anymore. I have finally found a stylist I love and my hair is pretty long and she always cuts it the way I like her too about once every 2 months or so. I experimented with different cuts for so long but have finally found a style I truly love and look good with.

I cut mine myself. If it's long enough that you can pull the ends over the top of your head and see them, trim it yourself. Just get some decent hair scissors at Sally's.

When I'm in the mood for layers or a new style or something, I wait for my trusted hairdresser (mom) to come to town!

I cut mine myself. If it's long enough that you can pull the ends over the top of your head and see them, trim it yourself. Just get some decent hair scissors at Sally's.

When I'm in the mood for layers or a new style or something, I wait for my trusted hairdresser (mom) to come to town!

You do? Wow! I'm starting to want to cut my own hair just ordered a set of CreaClip, waiting for it in the mail.

Supercuts chain of salons has never failed to upset me in 4 countries which they operate. IDK maybe their policy is to annoy customers by giving what they didn't ask for and send them packing out into the snow with their hair wet!

That has only happened to me once or twice. The hairdresser gave me a Rachel Green type haircut. And then I just started doing it myself, and I really like the results.

I hope your hair grows back fast!

Ohh, speaking of Super Cuts, I go to Master Cuts.. I have been going for a few years now. The cut (or trim, rather) is only $15. I'm wondering what the difference is between a $15 cut and a $50+ cut?

Anyway, this woman in particular has cut my hair several times... and I've even gone to people I've only ever seen once and never again-- I've never had this problem!

I mean literally, I measured my hair. I used an actual wooden ruler and measured my hair according to the picture taken yesterday of me, she took almost 5 inches off... I just want to know, HOW do you go from 1 inch to 5 inches? I cried over this! I feel like someone TOOK something away from me! It doesn't give me the same character, you know? It really truly matters to me... :sad:

Anyway... I would love to cut my own hair. If I knew what to do I would cut it myself, seriously. There must be tutorials on YouTube or something, haha!

Usually only when I'm too eager for a change that I can't wait for a mini road-trip to my favourite hairdresser (5 hrs drive). I always regret not waiting!

I don't think that I've ever gotten a "really bad" haircut. I do take pride in my appearance, hair included, but also realize that, of all things, hair is the easiest to change and the quickest to grow. I found a stylist that I like and now just go to her and say "whatever you think, I just want it generally this long," and so far she hasn't let me down! (I don't go that often, though - maybe twice a year? In between, I hack on my own hair. Razor blades and scissors are a good friend!)

I have, though, gotten some haircuts that I wasn't thrilled about, but they looked ok and, as I already said, it grew back.

Anyways, a few inches shorter than you would have liked isn't all that bad. It may take some getting used to, but consider yourself lucky! (If you feel that your stylist did something that you specifically asked her not to, though, you may want to start looking for a new one.)

I'm trying to tell myself that I am due for a bad haircut/not what I wanted because that's exactly what happened today! The hairdresser I went to cut my hair way too short and I'm actually really upset about it! I am used to very long hair, mid-back... and it's at least 2-3 inches too short, just enough to make it be noticeable. I really need those 2-3 inches!

But yeah, I guess I was just due for one? Isn't a haircut that doesn't turn out how you like it a part of life or something? haha... but really, I'm actually almost going to cry :sad: Would 3 inches grow back in 8 weeks? Nooo idea... everyone is different anyway, agh!

I thought I had mastered getting exactly what I want from a hairdresser but I guess not... :sad:

Everyone is different, but from I remember reading online - the maximal growth rate people can have is about 1/2 inch a month. That means in 2 month it'll grow out by about an inch. I am so sorry it happened to you, it happened to me quite a few times and I found that the only way I ever get cut off as little as I want is by being extremely assertive with a stylist and by literally watching their every move. I don't trust anybody anymore, after a few bad haircuts.
I honestly don't want to get up because I'll just look in the mirror at it... and it's not like it's too short PLUS bad... I just looked at pictures from yesterday and they DEFINITELY took like 5 inches off... I am so upset, I seriously showed them 1 inch... just one... how does ONE turn into 5...? I'm so upset.

If someone butches my hair, I don't even bother to tip and they dont get my business anymore.

Were you trying to get a full haircut or just a trim? One inch is a LOT in hair terms. if you want a light trim as for 1/8 of an inch.

But generally, you HAVE to speak up! by the way, Im really surprised at some of you that settles with what the hairdresser does.

The hairdresser did your hair and assumed that you liked it, and thats probably why they make the same mistake over and over and over!

Tell her the length and when she snips off some, look in the mirror and determine if you like that cut. If you don't tell her that is way to much and indicate exactly what your looking for!

Last edited:
It's weird, I love my hair dresser, but I have found her limitations. She does not know how to style my hair wavy. All she knows is stick straight. That's it. Usually I want to feel great when I come from the hairdresser's especially because I generally get my hair colored so I tend to spend a lot of money. I used to just want to have my hair as straight as it gets, but recently (since I now know how to get my hair salon-straight myself) with beautiful waves on Gossip Girl (I know, I know, so stupid...) I've just been wanting to try that look and I attempted twice to get her to show me how it's done, but I always come out looking like Shirley Temple. Since I'm not 5 anymore it's NOT a good look for me at all. So although the color is great, I've been coming home very aggravated because I end up having to straighten my hair first thing when I get home. I know it's not as big of a deal as getting a bad cut, or a cut too short, but I know how it feels.

I've also had too short cuts, and they make me cry too. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Being impatient I always think it takes forever to grow hair, so I can definitely feel your pain.

I would always be unhappy with my hair when I went to Great Clips or something along those lines. I finally stopped and just found a stylist that is more expensive, but worth it. I have thick, wavy/loose curls and I could never find a stylist at a discount place that was able to cut it w/o looking really bad, being uneven or just making it super poufy.