How often do you clean your e-ring or have it checked???

hellokatiegirl

Treat Yo Self!
O.G.
Sep 22, 2009
I have had my wedding band and engagement ring for about three years now. I clean it myself every once in a while and I have also had it "steam-cleaned" by a local fine jewelry store. A significant build up of residue accumulates after a while and the steam cleaning gets some of it off, but not all of it. I also heard that in addition to having your ring cleaned it should be checked to make sure the stones and especially the center stone do not fall out. I have heard horror stories about this!

So my question is, how often do you take your ring to be cleaned and checked by a jeweler? My jeweler said every year. They want to take a week to clean it and check all of the stones. What do you all do???

I have had my wedding band and engagement ring for about three years now. I clean it myself every once in a while and I have also had it "steam-cleaned" by a local fine jewelry store. A significant build up of residue accumulates after a while and the steam cleaning gets some of it off, but not all of it. I also heard that in addition to having your ring cleaned it should be checked to make sure the stones and especially the center stone do not fall out. I have heard horror stories about this!

So my question is, how often do you take your ring to be cleaned and checked by a jeweler? My jeweler said every year. They want to take a week to clean it and check all of the stones. What do you all do???

Ive been married for almost 18 years and I usually take it in several time a year. It could e that I'm in the jewelers and they will offer to clean/check it for me while I'm there or I specifically go to have it cleaned and checked. I've never had to send it anywhere. They do it on sight and within a few minutes. I would question why it needs to be sent out for a week. I like to see my ring at all times. A few weeks ago I went in for a cleaning and several of my wedding ring stones were VERY loose. They worked on it right then and there and had it good as new within 15-20 minutes. They also tightened the prongs on my ering.

I get it checked every 6-12 months, but I clean it 2x a day myself, and I also loupe it myself with both a 10x and 30x loupe. Normally nothing is wrong but if it would be, I could take it to the jeweler myself and address what I found.

I also check all the stones in my wedding band (shared prong) every few days to make sure none are loose.

I own a professional steamer, as well as an ultrasonic cleaner, but I do most of the daily cleanings with a spray called Sparkle Sparkle and a few brushes.

The jewelry store I went to will clean it and it takes about 10 minutes, I also put it in a solution every month or so. I hear it is harmful to do cleanings more frequently (I'm not sure if that's true or not).

Anyway, the cleaning that this particular jeweler wanted to do is suppose to take a few days and you have to leave your ring there. At first that made me nervous, but they seem to be trustworthy.

Are they cleaning it or are they polishing it? Polishing frequently is not good for the metal, especially gold and whitegold since they are removing a layer of the metal.

But there's no reason why you should have to leave a ring for cleaning.

In average I take it in for an inspection and cleaning every six month (I was due for one last month!! Eeekk!!) but I clean at home about once a month (maybe one extra time for a special occasian). I wouldn't let anyone take my jewelry for a week.

I have mine checked at least 4 times a year, but it is usually when I am in the area. I drop in and let them check it and clean it and I browse. It never takes more than 20 minutes.

With all my other good jewelry I get pieces checked at least once a year. I have been very surprised the issues that have come up with stones being loose on almost brand new jewelry. (especially Penny Preville pieces!)

Are they cleaning it or are they polishing it? Polishing frequently is not good for the metal, especially gold and whitegold since they are removing a layer of the metal.

But there's no reason why you should have to leave a ring for cleaning.[/QUOTE

It is both a cleaning and polishing. I do not want the platinum polished because as you said it removes the metal. I like the fact that my ring has developed a patina to it which comes with age.

The jeweler said they need to inspect every diamond in my setting and that would take a while. I really don't want to be without my ring for days and even though they seem trust worthy I don't like the idea of leaving it overnight with anyone. Basically I just want the soap scum etc. removed from the center stone. I think that I might go to a couple of other jewelers to get second opinions.

But there's no reason why you should have to leave a ring for cleaning.

It is both a cleaning and polishing. I do not want the platinum polished because as you said it removes the metal. I like the fact that my ring has developed a patina to it which comes with age.

The jeweler said they need to inspect every diamond in my setting and that would take a while. I really don't want to be without my ring for days and even though they seem trust worthy I don't like the idea of leaving it overnight with anyone. Basically I just want the soap scum etc. removed from the center stone. I think that I might go to a couple of other jewelers to get second opinions.

Wait wait wait...
When Platinum is polished metal IS NOT removed. That's incorrect. What I said is that Gold and White Gold loses metal. Platinum is only moved, displaced, when it's "scratched" and polishing it puts it back. No metal loss with platinum. However if you like the patina, that's a reason not to polish it. I personally prefer my platinum be perfectly new looking, I don't care for the patina.

I don't know how heavily detailed your ring is but if you aren't familiar with this jeweler, I would not be leaving it overnight. If you can't send it to or take it to the original maker, that's a little different. I send my rings back to their makers for almost anything, including polishing.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable leaving my ring out of my sight for that long. I just picture someone at the jewelry store doing something shady, like swapping out your diamonds for cubic zirconia. (I know someone whose Dad owned a "reputable jewelry" store in LI and actually did this to many of his long-time customers. So awful. His Dad was found out in the end and was charged with fraud, but it apparently went on for quite some time before he was found out). You can never be too cautious when it comes to diamond jewelry.

On a lighter note...as for cleaning my e-ring, I just use a toothbrush and toothpaste (a suggestion from my MIL, and it works so well!). I think it's the baking soda in the toothpaste that gets the scum off. It's great, I don't even have to take off my rings.

Years ago, my jeweler gave me cleaning solution and every now and then I clean my jewelry with this. I visit my jeweler often and it can be cleaned/checked and polished while I am there. I must note that this jeweler has a studio with where repairs are done and jewelry is designed and created there. Not all jewelers have their own studio... so that could be a reason why it could take a longer while?