How often do you buy luxury handbags?

How often do you buy luxury handbags? (Rough Estimate)

• Every week or every few days

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Once a month / 10+ bags a year

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Once a season / a few times year

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Once or twice a year

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • Once every few years

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Varies and depends on styles available

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters
I'm very curious about other people's handbag shopping habits. Where do you land?

Also, if you have a few minutes, please share what you've purchased so far in 2020. Here is my list:
  1. LV Pochette Accessories (I use it as a crossbody)
  2. LV Speedy 25 in Azur
  3. Vintage Lady Dior
  4. Dior Addict Flap
  5. Saint Laurent Medium Loulou
  6. Fendi Mini Peekaboo
  7. Chanel Medium Coco Handle in the 20A Lilac color (Love it!!)

Last edited:
I average two bags a year bc I didn’t buy a major bag from about 2013-2019. Some bags landed with my mom, such as my grail VN black birkin 30, brushed phw, so some recent purchases are replacement bags.

In the early TPF years, 2008-2012, I bought at least six bags a year both boutique and reseller, including a boutique birkin. By 2012, I had edited my collection in terms of leather type, style and hw. But, my H SA left retail; I went on TPF hiatus; and, I shifted to buy other things like george Jensen silver;dead stock Pucci; and other RTW).

When I got notice of the OG badge, I hopped back into TPF and reseller sites where prices were dropping significantly. So, I am updating my collection to suit my current needs. (IMO, vintage Hermes is better quality; greater variety; more sustainable, less costly, and virtually guilt free :smile:

Black barenia birkin30, brushed phw (Replacement bag)
gold swift birkin 30, brushed phw(originally for my mom, but will buy her something else )
Blu obscure JPG Fringe Kelly, phw
blue gray box kelly 28 , bushed phw (Replacement bag)
sauge Evelyne PM, phw(Replacement bag)
etoupe Evelyne GM (gift to aunt)
blue Mykonos Evelyne PM (gift to MIL)
black barenia crinoline trim 31, phw
olive green Togo trim , phw
BV hobo grey (gift to aunt)

black box kelly longue wallet, phw (Replacement for an indestructible Prada saffiano)
So black Chanel chevron mini (love the blackened hw)

I also decided to repurchase CSGM that I had let go of in prior years. . . And add some new colorways to favorite patterns

apologies for the length of this

• Love
Reactions: papertiger
I average two bags a year bc I didn’t buy a major bag from about 2013-2019. Some bags landed with my mom, such as my grail VN black birkin 30, brushed phw, so some recent purchases are replacement bags.

In the early TPF years, 2008-2012, I bought at least six bags a year both boutique and reseller, including a boutique birkin. By 2012, I had edited my collection in terms of leather type, style and hw. But, my H SA left retail; I went on TPF hiatus; and, I shifted to buy other things like george Jensen silver;dead stock Pucci; and other RTW).

When I got notice of the OG badge, I hopped back into TPF and reseller sites where prices were dropping significantly. So, I am updating my collection to suit my current needs. (IMO, vintage Hermes is better quality; greater variety; more sustainable, less costly, and virtually guilt free :smile:

gold swift birkin 30, brushed phw(originally for my mom, but will buy her something else )

black box kelly longue wallet, phw (Replacement for an indestructible Prada saffiano)

I also decided to repurchase CSGM that I had let go of in prior years. . . And add some new colorways to favorite patterns

Thank you for the detailed post! I am someone who makes lists of what I buy (and sell) so I love being able to peek into other people's purse purchases. I'm still at the beginning of my luxury journey - I only started in late 2017 - so I'm still collecting classics from various brands and have only recently started pivoting more toward unique shapes and colors.

• Love
Reactions: 880

Can I be your aunt too ;)

Honestly, I don’t know how to answer this poll. Lol. Before 2016 (ie before I found tPF), I bought one luxury purse every several years. Every few months I would get a coach or kate spade.

Then I found tPF. My luxury purse buying skyrocketed to about one every other month. From late 2016-2018. In 2019 I slowed down a bit but looking back I still bought 4 LV and a bunch of accessories (straps, wallet, charms). An important point to note is that I would sell bags to buy other bags. So I never had more than 7 bags at a time. It was a time of great turmoil and churn lol. I kept trying to build the “perfect” collection.

Now it is 2020 and I’ve bought 3 bags so far. I only have 3 bags (the three I bought in 2020). (I sold everything I previously had before Covid. I just got tired of seeing them and wanted to go minimal). I’m selling one. So I will be down to 2 bags. (Luxury bags that is). I don’t want to churn anymore, and yet I am wondering how long I can go before I buy another bag. Can I make it a few more months? To the end of the year? To next spring? I still like to look and have a couple bags on my wish list. So, I don’t know how to answer the poll right now. Maybe “varies depends on styles available”. Ask me again next year haha!

Honestly, I don’t know how to answer this poll. Lol. Before 2016 (ie before I found tPF), I bought one luxury purse every several years. Every few months I would get a coach or kate spade.

Then I found tPF. My luxury purse buying skyrocketed to about one every other month. From late 2016-2018. In 2019 I slowed down a bit but looking back I still bought 4 LV and a bunch of accessories (straps, wallet, charms). An important point to note is that I would sell bags to buy other bags. So I never had more than 7 bags at a time. It was a time of great turmoil and churn lol. I kept trying to build the “perfect” collection.

Now it is 2020 and I’ve bought 3 bags so far. I only have 3 bags (the three I bought in 2020). (I sold everything I previously had before Covid. I just got tired of seeing them and wanted to go minimal). I’m selling one. So I will be down to 2 bags. (Luxury bags that is). I don’t want to churn anymore, and yet I am wondering how long I can go before I buy another bag. Can I make it a few more months? To the end of the year? To next spring? I still like to look and have a couple bags on my wish list. So, I don’t know how to answer the poll right now. Maybe “varies depends on styles available”. Ask me again next year haha!

I'm counting mine as gross purchases - not net - because I have trouble curtailing my need to buy the next new thing that catches my eye ;)

I've only sold 1 bag this year when I have bought 7. Maybe it's time to revisit my collection!

• Love
Reactions: 880
Then I found tPF. My luxury purse buying skyrocketed to about one every other month.
Yes, this! Glad I am not alone in this :smile: what is that saying— perfect is the enemy of good?
I'm counting mine as gross purchases - not net - because I have trouble curtailing my need to buy the next new thing that catches my eye
Rachelspendsmoney, this is TPF math :smile: when I took a vacation from TPF, i just didn’t see the next new thing bc my friends IRL don’t have bag obsessions.

a bottle of red, Thank you! but i have way too many aunts already ;)

Last edited:
For me, it’s been wildly different based on where I’ve been in collecting / curating. About a decade ago when I found tPF and got “serious” about my collection. That focus meant I was buying up to 15 bags a year.:facepalm:

I eventually sold all of those early purchases as I learned more and more about my taste and functional needs. :doh: But, I still needed to buy bags to fill identified gaps. So, I still was buying 7-8 bags a year.

Eventually, I successfully “curated” my collection to a tight set of bags (25) that I love and actually use! Happily, that caused my purchase rate to plummet. In the last 2 years, I’ve only sold 2 bags and purchased 2. I don’t have anything else I foresee I’d ever sell. And, because I don’t like the mania of chasing bags or owning things I don’t use, at most I’ll be happily buying one or two bags each year. :biggrin:

For me, it’s been wildly different based on where I’ve been in collecting / curating. About a decade ago when I found tPF and got “serious” about my collection. That focus meant I was buying up to 15 bags a year.:facepalm:

I eventually sold all of those early purchases as I learned more and more about my taste and functional needs. :doh: But, I still needed to buy bags to fill identified gaps. So, I still was buying 7-8 bags a year.

Eventually, I successfully “curated” my collection to a tight set of bags (25) that I love and actually use! Happily, that caused my purchase rate to plummet. In the last 2 years, I’ve only sold 2 bags and purchased 2. I don’t have anything else I foresee I’d ever sell. And, because I don’t like the mania of chasing bags or owning things I don’t use, at most I’ll be happily buying one or two bags each year. :biggrin:

I hope to get to your level of handbag nirvana soon, but I only just started buying luxury handbags a few years ago so I'm learning my tastes and exploring more adventurous colors and styles.

Depends what's out there. I'm satisfied with my current collection, though have my eye on some Hermes bags. If opportunity arises I'd love a black box Kelly, but unwilling to go through the rumored hoops to get one. I have a number of Chanels, LVs, some Bottega, others, total 25-30 lux bags. The last few bags I got were while on pre-Covid vacations in Vegas, Hawaii, France and Italy. Honolulu is one of my favorite shopping cities. I'd love to go to Tokyo.

Reactions: rachelspendsmoney