Tech How often do you buy a new computer...

i've bene using my macbook air from 2011
i almost buy a new one because for some strange reason i always ran out of memory although i emptied the files on my laptop
just when i was about to buy a new one, i found over 60gb of hidden files in it and once i emptied it, it works fine with me
i mostly use my laptop for internet, watching netflix, keynote and photoshop

Reactions: chessmont
It depends on what are you using for? If just for simple office work. 10 years still ok. But if you are youtuber or graphic designer, music, or game. U should change it about 3 to 5 years. But nowadays, i think 1 or 2 years. New phones come out every 6 months. Samsung s10 will be available on Feb and the F series will be by September next year. U should know what will be the best for you. I use phone more than my computer. I can turn my phone to computer just one click. It handle the all the office job better than my 2 years old surface pro.

I only buy a new computer or tablet when my old ones start failing. As of right now, both my iPads and my computer are about 2 1/2 years old. Going from previous experience, my iPads should last about 4 years, and the laptop about 6 years.

I upgraded my CPU and mobo ...almost 4 years ago, but I didn't need to. Ended up being a bad power supply. I probably could still be using my CPU/Mobo from 2012. As it stands, I don't see any need to upgrade any time soon. For basic video/internet, it performs exactly as it should.

I upgraded my CPU and mobo ...almost 4 years ago, but I didn't need to. Ended up being a bad power supply. I probably could still be using my CPU/Mobo from 2012. As it stands, I don't see any need to upgrade any time soon. For basic video/internet, it performs exactly as it should.

The development in the last 5 years in PC components has been seriously underwhelming. Marginal upgrades that don't warrant any update path unless you push heavy workloads at it, like 8K video production, heavy CAD rendering or competitive 4K gaming.