How Nicholas Ghesquière Is Bringing Louis Vuitton Back To The Future With Bags

fabuleux

STAND UP
Aug 3, 2014
Published in FORBES on 12/11/2015

Since taking over the creative reins at Louis Vuitton, designer Nicholas Ghesquière has been riding the brand into a new era, while still keeping to codes of the house, which are built upon the sale of luxury carryalls. After all, Louis Vuitton did start as travel accessories line in 1854. His predecessor, Marc Jacobs, was certainly adept at creating a buzz around his collections, collaborating with the most noted names in the art world, and borrowing from various styles throughout history. Profits soared and the masses took notice. But Ghesquière has taken a seemingly different, perhaps wiser, approach. Instead of playing to nostalgia season after season, he is forming a defined aesthetic that is equal parts trendy and timeless. Where Jacobs was traveling to the past, Ghesquière is traveling to the future.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450194977.179240.jpg

This sensibility materializes with the bags Ghesquière has introduced since his debut at the maison in 2014—namely, the Petite Malle, GO-14 PM, and Twist. They all have facets that draw on the brand’s classic trunks, but, generally, nothing appears antiquated about them. Unlike Vuitton’s successful stable of styles—the Alma, Capucines, Speedy, and Neverfull (all great in their own right)—Ghesquière’s offerings are much more electrified, and fit better with the time.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450194992.251430.jpg

The compact, unfussy silhouettes speak more to the modern woman, one who doesn’t need to carry so many items, as everything she needs is on her iPhone. The shapes (from the Petite Malle’s box to GO-14 PM’s curves) also lend themselves to adaptability: you can go from boardroom to bar without changing your accessory, and looking out of place. Factor in the adjustable straps, modernized “LV” logo, and the array of colors, patterns and fabrics, and these new styles may become just as iconic and remunerative as the bags found at other labels—like Fendi’s Baguette, Dior’s Miss Dior, Chanel’s 2.55. To whit: they’ll certainly last well beyond Ghesquière’s tenure at the label, which hopefully won’t happen any time soon.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1450195004.788965.jpg

Thank you for sharing this!

This article hits the nail on the head. Nicholas truly gave Louis Vuitton a new, better life. I don't understand why many people are sour towards NG? I believe he is the greatest creative director LV has ever had.

I always adored Louis Vuitton, but a few years back I remember feeling that the brand was heading in the same tainted direction as Burberry. I felt it was losing it's class/elegance and becoming tacky/boring. Monogram was everywhere, giant LV logos and Speedys were all too common. Not that there's anything wrong with those things, I love monogram in small doses and the Speedy is a classic. It's just all we were seeing.

Nicholas still provides attention to all the old classics, giving them different and cool seasonal styles/colors while bringing us completely new bags/less in-your-face prints while staying true to the history of LV. The Petite Malle and Twist are probably my all time favorite Louis Vuitton bags.

Last edited:

This article hits the nail on the head. Nicholas truly gave Louis Vuitton a new, better life. I don't understand why many people are sour towards NG? I believe he is the greatest creative director LV has ever had.

I always adored Louis Vuitton, but a few years back I remember feeling that the brand was heading in the same tainted direction as Burberry. I felt it was losing it's class/elegance and becoming tacky/boring. Monogram was everywhere, giant LV logos and Speedys were all too common. Not that there's anything wrong with those things, I love monogram in small doses and the Speedy is a classic. It's just all we were seeing.

Nicholas still provides attention to all the old classics, giving them different and cool seasonal styles/colors while bringing us completely new bags/less in-your-face prints while staying true to the history of LV. The Petite Malle and Twist are probably my all time favorite Louis Vuitton bags.

I am obsessed with the Twist. If I were a woman, I would have it in every color. It's a great bag.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! I think that people in general are rather unlikely to embrace change immediately, but with a little time, most people come around and are able to see the good that comes with that change. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next!

Agree completely with what you said... Nothing more for me to add :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing fabuleux :smile:

Thank you for sharing! There are pros and cons with every designer basically, therefore must be taken with a grain of salt in order for us consumers to incorporate the new designs in our daily lifestyles. I did enjoy the MJ influence much more as more feminine and creative. Yet I am slowly getting used to the new urban edgy designs of NG, in smaller doses.

Thank you for sharing! There are pros and cons with every designer basically, therefore must be taken with a grain of salt in order for us consumers to incorporate the new designs in our daily lifestyles. I did enjoy the MJ influence much more as more feminine and creative. Yet I am slowly getting used to the new urban edgy designs of NG, in smaller doses.

I feel the same with this response. But I still prefer Marc Jabob direction to the brand. I didn't felt his vision weren't tainting the brand. I blame the corporate.

I'm a bit of a MJ fan, and always will be I think. Without any offense meant to anyone, I just don't feel the love for the new collections. I think NG is talented, and capable, but I just hope he can provide cohesion to the brand. Cohesion isn't something I've been witnessing and that worries me for the future of the brand. Again, this is just my humble opinion, and no offense to anyone!

I'm a bit of a MJ fan, and always will be I think. Without any offense meant to anyone, I just don't feel the love for the new collections. I think NG is talented, and capable, but I just hope he can provide cohesion to the brand. Cohesion isn't something I've been witnessing and that worries me for the future of the brand. Again, this is just my humble opinion, and no offense to anyone!

+1

I know edgy is "in". But as a consumer who is not going to have 20+ designer handbags for another 15-20 years, NG is not favorable in terms of my overall goal.

My goal is to have a solid collection of classic handbags. I don't want to reach into my closet and find a truly dated bag tucked in the corner. Obviously its great to have one or two trendy bags, but for me, I don't spend a lot of money on trendy anymore, and stick with classic designers for my more expensive purchases. If I already had all of my basics of my wishlist and had a surplus of funds after, then sure it would be fun to invest in these bags.

Basically for me, he comes at the wrong time in my life because I am building the basics still, so I try to not deviate. The bags pictured in this article are marvelous and edgy and chic. I would carry one of those proudly (can't say the same for some of the others but hey there were things MJ did that I was not in favor of). Plus I have an even more expensive jewelry addiction... If it came to a trendy bag and VCA or Cartier, theres no contest. :lol::lol:

I'm surprised that he's doing well at LV. It felt like he was slowly killing Bal the past 3-4 years he was there. Naturally people are resistant to change and MJ was very well received while at LV. I actually enjoy the new styles he's bringing to LV even if they don't fit my style/needs. I also feel like he's successfully creating a shift towards higher end bags and less focus on canvas styles which have been over saturated for a while. We know LV has been wanting to make that move for a while, I just didn't think NG could do it.

Interesting article, but as it is in a financial magazine, I'm surprised they didn't mention the most important aspect, are the bags selling? Tha is what will determine NG's future at LV.

I'm not sure they are selling; I don't see many of them.

Published in FORBES on 12/11/2015

Since taking over the creative reins at Louis Vuitton, designer Nicholas Ghesquière has been riding the brand into a new era, while still keeping to codes of the house, which are built upon the sale of luxury carryalls. After all, Louis Vuitton did start as travel accessories line in 1854. His predecessor, Marc Jacobs, was certainly adept at creating a buzz around his collections, collaborating with the most noted names in the art world, and borrowing from various styles throughout history. Profits soared and the masses took notice. But Ghesquière has taken a seemingly different, perhaps wiser, approach. Instead of playing to nostalgia season after season, he is forming a defined aesthetic that is equal parts trendy and timeless. Where Jacobs was traveling to the past, Ghesquière is traveling to the future.

View attachment 3214689

This sensibility materializes with the bags Ghesquière has introduced since his debut at the maison in 2014—namely, the Petite Malle, GO-14 PM, and Twist. They all have facets that draw on the brand’s classic trunks, but, generally, nothing appears antiquated about them. Unlike Vuitton’s successful stable of styles—the Alma, Capucines, Speedy, and Neverfull (all great in their own right)—Ghesquière’s offerings are much more electrified, and fit better with the time.

View attachment 3214690

The compact, unfussy silhouettes speak more to the modern woman, one who doesn’t need to carry so many items, as everything she needs is on her iPhone. The shapes (from the Petite Malle’s box to GO-14 PM’s curves) also lend themselves to adaptability: you can go from boardroom to bar without changing your accessory, and looking out of place. Factor in the adjustable straps, modernized “LV” logo, and the array of colors, patterns and fabrics, and these new styles may become just as iconic and remunerative as the bags found at other labels—like Fendi’s Baguette, Dior’s Miss Dior, Chanel’s 2.55. To whit: they’ll certainly last well beyond Ghesquière’s tenure at the label, which hopefully won’t happen any time soon.

View attachment 3214691
Thanks for sharing this article with us Fabuleux! I have to admit I preferred MJ though; when I buy a bag it is with the intention of keeping it for a very long period of time and for that reason my preference is for a timeless/classic look that will never look old per se. NG's styles, while trendy, would be better suited if I was constantly rotating out pieces in my collection every couple of years. To each their own though and that's why LV has something for everyone.