How much would you pay for a......

rainy1

O.G.
Dec 20, 2009
Pre loved bag? How close is too close to buying a bag brand new? Example if a new Neverfull MM costs $980 or a new Speedy 30 costs $910 where is the line for a gently used or almost new bag vs buying brand new?? Within $200 dollars or more of savings? Or at that point do you just wait and save the extra $200 for piece of mind of authenticity? Just curious what you all think!

Pre loved bag? How close is too close to buying a bag brand new? Example if a new Neverfull MM costs $980 or a new Speedy 30 costs $910 where is the line for a gently used or almost new bag vs buying brand new?? Within $200 dollars or more of savings? Or at that point do you just wait and save the extra $200 for piece of mind of authenticity? Just curious what you all think!
I think price has to save me a minimum of 25% and be in excellent condition. Otherwise I don't feel like I scored a deal and I would rather save and buy new.

I think price has to save me a minimum of 25% and be in excellent condition. Otherwise I don't feel like I scored a deal and I would rather save and buy new.

+1. I look for anything that saves me 25% at least. And on top of that I also save on the tax that I would have had to pay for the new one at the boutique. That's almost another 10%.

I prefer buying new, but I've gone the preloved route for discontinued and LE lines and only if they are in mint or like new condition. I've scored huge savings on my Mahina L's and Suhali clutches but paid close to retail for my recently acquired Mono Rayures Insolite, which inevitably happens with LE items. They hardly ever go down in price because they are so exclusive (and lucrative). In general I wouldn't buy preloved if it would only save me a few hundred bucks. I'd just buy new.

I just bought my very first prelvoed bags. I think this is an excellent question, and one I just pondered quite a bit in my own head. I personally, had never done prelvoed before because I wanted the absolute gaurantee of being authentic, and I wanted that brand-new, nobody else has ever touched it thing happening. That said, we all change...

I really wanted a new LV bag right now, but did not have the funds for brand new. I also have always wanted to try certian bag styles out, but not enough to buy a brand new bag. Enter the vintage options.....bags that are around 20+ years old, in good condition, great prices, great patinas, a really nice option right now. I ended up with a Saumur from 1990 and a Speedy 35 from 1988. I ordered both from vintage luxury suppliers in Japan on ebay. They are both MIF (another cool thing about vintage). The insides of the bags are immaculate, the outsides are very good. I am thrilled, I have carried both already. I was really worried about them smelling weird or having black/grime on the patina. Neither has been an issue.

As for price, the original question....For regular canvas bags, I personally would not buy a used bag for more than half of the current price of the bag. In other words, if I am going to spend more than half of what the bag costs new, I am just going to buy new. For less than half of current retail price, you can get some really nice bags, in excellent condition. My bags, being vintage and in good condition, I paid about $250 each for them. I think that is more than fair. I would be willing to pay a bit more for bags in even better condition, but for more than $500, I would probably just buy new.

For other, pricier bags made by LV, like leather or limited production, the rules change a bit for me. It would totally depend on the bag, but if it is a discontinued style, I might pay close to retail for a new bag. If you can authenticate it, why not? It may be your only chance to get one.

Attachments

• 20131217_183843.jpg
    20131217_183843.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 374
I just bought my very first prelvoed bags. I think this is an excellent question, and one I just pondered quite a bit in my own head. I personally, had never done prelvoed before because I wanted the absolute gaurantee of being authentic, and I wanted that brand-new, nobody else has ever touched it thing happening. That said, we all change...

I really wanted a new LV bag right now, but did not have the funds for brand new. I also have always wanted to try certian bag styles out, but not enough to buy a brand new bag. Enter the vintage options.....bags that are around 20+ years old, in good condition, great prices, great patinas, a really nice option right now. I ended up with a Saumur from 1990 and a Speedy 35 from 1988. I ordered both from vintage luxury suppliers in Japan on ebay. They are both MIF (another cool thing about vintage). The insides of the bags are immaculate, the outsides are very good. I am thrilled, I have carried both already. I was really worried about them smelling weird or having black/grime on the patina. Neither has been an issue.

As for price, the original question....For regular canvas bags, I personally would not buy a used bag for more than half of the current price of the bag. In other words, if I am going to spend more than half of what the bag costs new, I am just going to buy new. For less than half of current retail price, you can get some really nice bags, in excellent condition. My bags, being vintage and in good condition, I paid about $250 each for them. I think that is more than fair. I would be willing to pay a bit more for bags in even better condition, but for more than $500, I would probably just buy new.

For other, pricier bags made by LV, like leather or limited production, the rules change a bit for me. It would totally depend on the bag, but if it is a discontinued style, I might pay close to retail for a new bag. If you can authenticate it, why not? It may be your only chance to get one.

That Speedy looks great!
My original plan for pre loved was exactly a point you mentioned, I want to try a Speedy without committing to the full price in case I don't love it. I purchased a Speedy from Yoogis with beautiful patina and very nice canvas. I was so excited when I opened it and then the smell came up.(Smell was never mentined in listing) It has a very defined musty smell. I have had it for 2 weeks. Yoogis has been great I have been in touch with them and they have told me to take my time just dont remove the tags. It has been hermetically sealed with first fabric sheets..no luck...coffee...no luck and as a last ditch baking soda. I am almost 100% sure that I will return this bag. I got such a good price on it but I cannot live with the smell and that is what prompted me to ask what is reasonable to pay for a pre loved bag. I don't want to loose sight of the original reason I want pre loved...to try a new style without knowing if I will like it with out too much investment but I def see a huge price range out there for these bags. I know from looking here that a great pre loved does exist ts just a matter of finding it. Thank you for your take on my question..the search will continue!

<==== The speedy 30 in my avatar I paid $350 for it -- And I also got a gorgeous Speedy 25 with beautiful patina and could pass as almost new even though she's 13 years old for $200 ...

For me, I don't care if the bag had been loved by another person before me --- it just gives the bag more character and each bag has their own story to tell.

As long as they look good and is in almost new condition I do not mind at all ---- especially if I get it for 50%-75% cheaper than retail price ---

For the NF DE that I plan to purchase in the future as well as mini pochette accessory in both mono and DE -- that I will save to buy new as it is not that much less money preowned..