How much would you be willing to pay for a bag on the resell market?

I would only and have only ever paid over retail one time for a Birkin from a highly regarded reseller because there was no way I could ever find that color and leather combination due to both being discontinued.

In my opinion, nothing from Chanel is worth even close to retail now. I know that's not the most warmly received opinion by some, but the pricing seems to have egregiously outpaced the value. My mental benchmark for preloved Chanel pricing appropriateness is what I would have paid for it new in 2012-2015 or so. That's about the last time I felt their prices overall matched their quality.

I recently paid around $300 over retail for a Boy bag from a personal shopper. I didn't mind because I was able to shop from the comforts of my home, and the bag was brand new from the boutique. However, I won't pay close to or over retail for a bag that's pre-owned (with one exception being if the bag was recently purchased within the last month or two). I don't care if the bag is in mint/like new/excellent/immaculate condition, its still not right to pay current retail prices on a bag that's a few years old.

I'm actually trying to find a small black Gabrielle period and since I am new to Chanel, I don't have a SA nor do I live in a city with designer boutiques (would need to travel out of province). I've come to realize how popular the So Black bags are like you said, but I didn't know how high they would go for. The last one I saw before the price increase (non Chevron version) was listed at just over $5K, but I totally missed out on it. So when I saw this one for over $7K before tax, I was shocked! Again, that's probably super naive of me and this was also after the price increase, so really it shouldn't have surprised me.
I've read some people say if you're going to spend upwards of $8K+, you might as well save for a B or K.
My SA has this bag right now! I only have his WeChat though, if you use WeChat. He’s at the Saks in Atlanta if you want to try calling the store directly and asking for Tan. If you’re in Canada, he doesn’t ship to Canada but I can refer you to my personal shopper who can help you buy it (with very very low fees).

Attachments

• 14CE91DC-E400-4B51-907D-5D7CA4FC6031.jpeg
    14CE91DC-E400-4B51-907D-5D7CA4FC6031.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 16
My DH got me a black mini caviar from Heathrow for under £2k in 2017. I am so glad we got it as it is my most used bag. Doubt I would be willing to even pay retail for it now!

I know this thread is specifically targeted toward IG personal shoppers/resellers but Fashionphile is just as bad on price gouging. To me it’s worse because they are price gouging on items from previous seasons. I don’t see current season unicorns on their site but do see recent seasons and SLGs from current and recent seasons at almost double the cost. There are iridescent ivory minis on there for $6k or more. Card cases are sometimes $300-$400 over the current retail price. I get it takes overhead to run that business but charging 40-60% markup on majority of their items is excessive.

Hi loves,

I haven’t felt as fortunate to have completed my classic Chanel flap collection many many years ago because I just found out how much classic Chanel flaps cost in the resell market nowadays! Now, I’m curious. I know there’s been a lot of price increases and that a small flap and m/l retail for 7100 and 7800 USD currently. How is it that these bags on the resell market sell for 9000-10000USD? Has there been a scarcity or like an Hermès game for the Birkin, Kelly, and Constance Chanel is playing with its buyers?

I’ve never bought Chanel outside the boutique and I’ve completed the sizes of my classic and 2.55 collections around 2010. Since then I’ve only bought seasonal items so
never occurred to me that reseller classics cost so much! Please enlighten me! Thank you so much!

XOXO,
HermèsGeek

I’m happy to have purchased my jumbo preloved from Fashionphile 4 years ago. My bag is near perfect and I paid a very fair price. It would sell for more than double now. Prices are set by supply and demand. If Chanel can ask for and get 8000. for a jumbo and not be able to keep up with demand, then of course they can justify the price increases. I do think that LV and Chanel are doing what they feel they need to do to create the exclusivity of Hermès. Both Chanel and LV have suffered from poor quality reputations the last few years. Lv has discontinued many of their lower priced staples.
I think it will be interesting to see what happens with these lux brands the next couple of years.
For now I’m content with my bags and gasp at the enormous prices people are willing to pay. I’m even more shocked at the resale markups that people are willing to pay. It’s an interesting watch for sure.

They are also ridiculously low in stock when it comes to shoe as well. I have tried for months to get hold of classic flats and all of my essays in different countries and different cities agreed that they were not given a lot of stock from france and they don’t know if it’s the pandemics fault or the fact that Chanel wants to be less available..

Reactions: Hine and hermesgeek
I’m happy to have purchased my jumbo preloved from Fashionphile 4 years ago. My bag is near perfect and I paid a very fair price. It would sell for more than double now. Prices are set by supply and demand. If Chanel can ask for and get 8000. for a jumbo and not be able to keep up with demand, then of course they can justify the price increases. I do think that LV and Chanel are doing what they feel they need to do to create the exclusivity of Hermès. Both Chanel and LV have suffered from poor quality reputations the last few years. Lv has discontinued many of their lower priced staples.
I think it will be interesting to see what happens with these lux brands the next couple of years.
For now I’m content with my bags and gasp at the enormous prices people are willing to pay. I’m even more shocked at the resale markups that people are willing to pay. It’s an interesting watch for sure.

I also can’t believe the bags I bought ages ago cost thrice up to four times the price today. Thanks for your response! Can’t wait to see how far Chanel is going with their price increases. Just also learned that one of my maxi’s was 8000usd in stores February 2021 and currently it’s 9200usd!

They are also ridiculously low in stock when it comes to shoe as well. I have tried for months to get hold of classic flats and all of my essays in different countries and different cities agreed that they were not given a lot of stock from france and they don’t know if it’s the pandemics fault or the fact that Chanel wants to be less available..

all these are news to me, my goodness! I’ve been living under a Chanel rock

Chanel seems to be aspiring to the Hermes model of restricting supply to increase demand. Classics are highly priced in the boutique and resellers who buy to flip, but preloved seasonals, exotics (chanel no longer makes exotics), and less popular styles like boys and reissues are still somewhat reasonable on some japanese reseller sites. i last bought a so black mini chevron reissue at Chanel last summer for around 4K plus. Bc of covid, no one was shopping and I had my choice of black minis. It’s sturdy and has held up well; no quality issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
Chanel seems to be aspiring to the Hermes model of restricting supply to increase demand. Classics are highly priced in the boutique and resellers who buy to flip, but preloved seasonals, exotics (chanel no longer makes exotics), and less popular styles like boys and reissues are still somewhat reasonable on some japanese reseller sites. i last bought a so black mini chevron reissue at Chanel last summer for around 4K plus. Bc of covid, no one was shopping and I had my choice of black minis. It’s sturdy and has held up well; no quality issues.
Hi 880,
Do you happen to have reference code for your chevron reissue so black. I was told there is a chevron reissue mini coming out for 21k but with gold hardware. I’d prefer so black hardware. I’d like to check to see if there are any left floating around in boutiques. I know it’s probably not likely but I’d like to give it a shot.
Thanks

Hi 880,
Do you happen to have reference code for your chevron reissue so black. I was told there is a chevron reissue mini coming out for 21k but with gold hardware. I’d prefer so black hardware. I’d like to check to see if there are any left floating around in boutiques. I know it’s probably not likely but I’d like to give it a shot.
Thanks
@Panlove, I’ll look through my receipts, but I don’t think I have that one bc it was purchased a year ago. Will pm you if I find it. I believe it was season 20A but I’m not sure

i believe that @monkyjib purchased one recently. Perhaps she has the reference code.

also you could also try posting your request here, https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/so-black-club.996052/page-86

Last edited:
@Panlove, I’ll look through my receipts, but I don’t think I have that one bc it was purchased a year ago. Will pm you if I find it. I believe it was season 20A but I’m not sure

i believe that @monkyjib purchased one recently. Perhaps she has the reference code.

also you could also try posting your request here, https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/so-black-club.996052/page-86
Thank you!

Hi ladies - I’m new to Chanel and was one of those crazy people to buy from the boutique at full price.
I did consider (and actually bought 2 pre loved bags) before returning them. 2 reasons why I bought now: I’m so fearful of super fakes and they stopped the authenticity cards. I wanted the newest tech.

it hurt to buy so high but I should have come to Chanel MUCH sooner