How much would you be willing to pay for a bag on the resell market?

pinkrose398

MaddyLoves.com
O.G.
Feb 7, 2009
My friend forwarded me a listing for a Chanel rectangular mini in black caviar for C$7,000, which inspired me to make this post. IMO that's way too much to pay for a mini bag (especially since the retail price was around US$3,500 at the time of its discontinuation), and it would be more than what I paid for my jumbo, but I can imagine there are people out there who are willing to pay that much for the caviar mini, especially since it was discontinued at the height of its popularity.

This is especially true for those really hard to find bags, for example the unicorn rose gold mini (or anything from the unicorn rose gold line). I've seen people pay US$7,000-8,000 for that mini!

My questions are:
  1. How much are you willing to pay for a bag that you really want from the resell market?
  2. Is there a point where you decide that you can't justify getting that exact bag, and get something similar instead?
Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 10% over retail + tax for something. I had wanted a rectangular mini in caviar for the longest time but after it was discontinued, I didn't want to pay so much over retail for it, so I got the reissue mini in black calfskin instead. I really love this bag and it also helped knock off another wishlist item (a reissue bag), so it was good "value" in the way that it was two wishlist items in one. If I overpay for something, I just don't think I'll get that much more enjoyment out of it compared to getting a substitute.

I think I may have seen that $7000 CDN Caviar mini as well. I had seen it posted and when I inquired I could't believe that price. Yes granted its hard to find, but $5000 plus is a little more manageable also considering the bag wasn't perfect. I had to bite my tongue on some of the reseller prices lately. I get there is a price increase and will continue to be, but now the resell market is asking close to old retail for bags in ok shape, some even missing a card. Its been bugging me seeing this crazy uptick in prices.

So in short, no I wouldn't pay that much. I'd rather buy a brand new small for that price.

I think I may have seen that $7000 CDN Caviar mini as well. I had seen it posted and when I inquired I could't believe that price. Yes granted its hard to find, but $5000 plus is a little more manageable also considering the bag wasn't perfect. I had to bite my tongue on some of the reseller prices lately. I get there is a price increase and will continue to be, but now the resell market is asking close to old retail for bags in ok shape, some even missing a card. Its been bugging me seeing this crazy uptick in prices.

So in short, no I wouldn't pay that much. I'd rather buy a brand new small for that price.

I completely agree with you on the recent reseller prices. Most of them are selling so close to retail, or even at retail without the tax, and personally I'd rather spend a few hundred dollars more and get a boutique fresh bag and also get that experience of unwrapping a freshly wrapped bag from the boutique.

I saw another caviar mini that was selling for $5,000 CAD but it clearly had been overstuffed so now it's lost a lot of structure.

I completely agree with you on the recent reseller prices. Most of them are selling so close to retail, or even at retail without the tax, and personally I'd rather spend a few hundred dollars more and get a boutique fresh bag and also get that experience of unwrapping a freshly wrapped bag from the boutique.

I saw another caviar mini that was selling for $5,000 CAD but it clearly had been overstuffed so now it's lost a lot of structure.
Right?!
For so close to retail, may as well just get brand new. It’s one thing if it’s new and they are reselling it for savings. But for being in so so condition, when a month ago they’d be asking $3 or 4K to be asking almost $7k irks me.

Reactions: A bottle of Red
Honestly I’d never buy any preloved at retail price, regardless if it’s discontinued. I’d rather go in the store and settle for a lambskin mini. The reseller prices for Chanel are sooutrageous and like most have said, the prices don’t match the quality. The only bags I would consider buying above retail are the Hermes B and K of course :smile:

Reactions: lolasparks
I’ve only paid above retail for one bag. Worth it to me and I won’t do it again. I bought a brand new LV LE Maui neverfull. Hawaii is my favorite place on earth. I can’t visit as much as I’d like. The specific bags aren’t available online. When I found one on fashionphile I didn’t hesitate. I paid over retail, about 400. I’m ok with that. It was special circumstances and I love my bag 4 years later. I won’t be selling and I’ll get my money’s worth.

Reactions: mlitmo
My only experience with paying "above retail" was due to the personal shopper that I was working with. I was having a terrible time sourcing the Chanel 19, small (medium) black in December of 2019 and through the early new year. So technically, I paid a couple hundred extra to get this bag. I don't regret it. I have never paid over retail on the re-sale market. I can't believe how high of a mark-up people can get away with!:shocked:

I am looking to buy the Coco Handle bag and am pretty sure I need to pay above retail since I want the one with the real lizard handle which is discontinued. I've seen a few pop up on reseller site (sold immediately...) and all have been for above retail price.

The thing is with Chanel is they raise the prices so you always feel like you're still getting a "deal" because it's going to keep going up. Kind of like housing bubble... as long as it doesn't burst...

I'm super late to the game and only realized recently that I want my first Chanel to be a small black Gabrielle. I came across a pre-loved So Black Chevron version which is I believe pretty rare and because of that, it was listed at $7,100 before tax!!! Holy mother...I was thinking over $5K for sure and that's probably very naive of me, but there's no way I could ever spend THAT much let alone afford it.

It's pretty sad to see some of these resellers prices, but they don't care because they know there will always be someone willing to pay it. I'm just not willing to go into debt HG or not.

Reactions: lolasparks
My only experience with paying "above retail" was due to the personal shopper that I was working with. I was having a terrible time sourcing the Chanel 19, small (medium) black in December of 2019 and through the early new year. So technically, I paid a couple hundred extra to get this bag. I don't regret it. I have never paid over retail on the re-sale market. I can't believe how high of a mark-up people can get away with!:shocked:
A couple hundred extra could be worth it especially if you're going crazy trying to find the bag! They take the hard work of trying to find the bag, which helps you save time.

I'm super late to the game and only realized recently that I want my first Chanel to be a small black Gabrielle. I came across a pre-loved So Black Chevron version which is I believe pretty rare and because of that, it was listed at $7,100 before tax!!! Holy mother...I was thinking over $5K for sure and that's probably very naive of me, but there's no way I could ever spend THAT much let alone afford it.

It's pretty sad to see some of these resellers prices, but they don't care because they know there will always be someone willing to pay it. I'm just not willing to go into debt HG or not.
I thought black Gabrielles are part of the permanent line of bags, or are you specifically looking for the So Black? So Black bags generally sell way over retail, unfortunately, because people love them.

I thought black Gabrielles are part of the permanent line of bags, or are you specifically looking for the So Black? So Black bags generally sell way over retail, unfortunately, because people love them.
I'm actually trying to find a small black Gabrielle period and since I am new to Chanel, I don't have a SA nor do I live in a city with designer boutiques (would need to travel out of province). I've come to realize how popular the So Black bags are like you said, but I didn't know how high they would go for. The last one I saw before the price increase (non Chevron version) was listed at just over $5K, but I totally missed out on it. So when I saw this one for over $7K before tax, I was shocked! Again, that's probably super naive of me and this was also after the price increase, so really it shouldn't have surprised me.
I've read some people say if you're going to spend upwards of $8K+, you might as well save for a B or K.

I paid over retail one time for a mini but because the color was never released in my country. I saw no other way to get it other than having to pay that extra. I believe I went no more than $500 over. I have never seen the color/style on any resale site so I am ok with what I paid, but would not do it again. The bag isn't *that* special to me and something about having paid more for it makes it less special somehow.

Reactions: earthygirl