How much would you be willing to pay for a bag on the resell market?

Just bought a vintage medium CF in caramel lambskin and 24k gold-plated for 4800€.
That’s a big chunk of money but I was willing to pay that price as I was searching high and low for this specific color for so so long.

But when I think that I paid « only » 2200€ for a medium CF in black LB and 24k gold plated back in 2020, this is just crazy to see how prices have gone up so fast

Here’s a photo of my prized possession.

View attachment 5741291
She’s beautiful, congrats!

I try to not think too much about what preloved bags go for when they were first sold new but yes it’s hard not to :whut: Earlier this year I bought a 13-year-old classic flap at a price that was several times what it was first bought at but with the crazy price increases, it was more than $3k less than what a new one would cost. Told myself not much I can do there, if I didn’t want to spend the crazy price on a new bag. Also bought a pre loved mini reissue that was sold for several hundred above its retail price four years ago, but it was in a seasonal leather/finish that I really wanted.

I think if the condition of the pre loved bag is excellent, I wouldn’t mind paying more than the original retail price but yeah I personally wouldn’t pay more than what the bag would go for today at the boutique.

Reactions: pheebspurse
If I cannot get a handbag in store, then I would go into the secondary market and pay 10% over premium. That's what I'd pay. But if all I have to do is "wait" a little, then I would wait.

Paying premium is what I did for my 2 Hermes birkins 10-15 years ago. There was no way, I was going to play the game and buy a bunch of little Hermes quota items and build a relationship with a SA.

I know this thread is specifically targeted toward IG personal shoppers/resellers but Fashionphile is just as bad on price gouging. To me it’s worse because they are price gouging on items from previous seasons. I don’t see current season unicorns on their site but do see recent seasons and SLGs from current and recent seasons at almost double the cost. There are iridescent ivory minis on there for $6k or more. Card cases are sometimes $300-$400 over the current retail price. I get it takes overhead to run that business but charging 40-60% markup on majority of their items is excessive.
I’m looking for a card case now on the secondary market- the prices are obscene- there are some out there asking over $1k!

Yes, really. My understanding is that Zeko requires the bags to be sent to her, and she then uses some high-tech microscope to examine the plate. Apparently, the little plate has some intricate engravings/etchings that can only be seen with a high powered resolution?
Hello! I wanted to share my experience regarding the microchip, as I was in Chanel today with a pre-loved bag. Long story short...I had the most amazing SA. I explained my concerns with a pre-loved bag that my boyfriend surprised me with (it was a very specific color I wanted, 21A burgundy). She was so kind to inspect it. She then used the microchip # to verify her authenticity. She simply wrote the # down on paper and entered it into the system. She confirmed that is was authentic. There is no scanning or fancy high tech thing that occurs on that end of it. Hope this helps!

Hello! I wanted to share my experience regarding the microchip, as I was in Chanel today with a pre-loved bag. Long story short...I had the most amazing SA. I explained my concerns with a pre-loved bag that my boyfriend surprised me with (it was a very specific color I wanted, 21A burgundy). She was so kind to inspect it. She then used the microchip # to verify her authenticity. She simply wrote the # down on paper and entered it into the system. She confirmed that is was authentic. There is no scanning or fancy high tech thing that occurs on that end of it. Hope this helps!
Oh thank you for contributing your experience! I also have a second hand microchipped bag that I feel shy about asking a boutique to check... I wonder if zeko has access to the same database

Oh thank you for contributing your experience! I also have a second hand microchipped bag that I feel shy about asking a boutique to check... I wonder if zeko has access to the same database
I don't believe so. I think it's the same as Cartier for example. Only they have access to their database that attaches the serial # to the purchase (which shows the history, etc). Authenticators (like Zeko) are experts in the physical dissection, but only Chanel will have the computerized information on the history of a bag (if purchased in a boutique) originally. I am SO grateful for this SA, as I was paranoid when I was vetting her and saw some questionable things I had never experienced in a CF.

When they check the microchip number, they should be able to see the original buyer’s profile. Do you think Chanel would ever put a flag on that person’s account? I wonder how Chanel “deals” with resellers now that there’s a microchip.

I don't believe they do that. In fact, my SA told me that I got a really good deal and that at least now I can trust the website as valid for selling authentic products (although fakes can always still sneak through so you do need to be careful). At the end of the day, Chanel did get that person's business. ;) She told me she could not reveal the information from the system when she entered the microchip #, as it's confidential but she did confirm it was the year/season that I was hoping for.

Just bought a vintage medium CF in caramel lambskin and 24k gold-plated for 4800€.
That’s a big chunk of money but I was willing to pay that price as I was searching high and low for this specific color for so so long.

But when I think that I paid « only » 2200€ for a medium CF in black LB and 24k gold plated back in 2020, this is just crazy to see how prices have gone up so fast

Here’s a photo of my prized possession.

View attachment 5741291
Its a stunning bag and I feel a great deal too. Do you mind DMing the source/website/seller you sourced it from. I am sorry if its not comfortable with you.

There is no actual chip in the bags, your SA simply ran the auth number and looked it up in the system. The problem with this approach is that there are counterfeit bag companies who will make bags with an auth number that a buyer requests.

There is no actual chip in the bags, your SA simply ran the auth number and looked it up in the system. The problem with this approach is that there are counterfeit bag companies who will make bags with an auth number that a buyer requests.
Yes, that is correct. They simply run the number that is one the "chip". One has to be very careful still, as the numbers can obviously be duplicated on a fake. I am confident with my bag, especially having experts authenticating it (in addition to the serial number). :smile:

Reactions: gail13