how much we're influenced by designer names

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
San Diego
I'm like a lot of us on the PF - impressed by expensive designer bags - even more so if they're displayed in a boutique compared to a discount store or online.
I went to Costco the other day. They had a display of handbags in the store - mostly Rebecca Minkoff, some Kate Spade, Michael Kors, etc.
As I was walking out I picked up this blue bag. I was thinking Coach had made another bag similar to the Borough bag. I thought it was nice but didn't love it. I hadn't noticed the logo. It was a Prada saffiano bag for $2,000 or something. Lesson to me: more expensive isn't always that much better.

Sparkletastic

Jun 18, 2012
Qo'noS
You have a great Costco and I'm totally jealous. I haven't seen anything remotely designer in the one near me. :lol:

Brand marketing teams that do their jobs well influence their target market (and others) to adore their brand. The best brands have products that actually deliver on the brand promise(s).

That all being said, I think we flock to brands for one or more of five reasons.
1) We like the brand aesthetic / style
2) We prefer the brand's materials, quality, etc.
3) We like the brand experience (stores, service, packaging, delivery and return policies, etc.)
4) We like the brand power (what it says about the item and about us)
5) We deal with the price - it either constrains us or pushes us up to one brand or another.

The trick is to find bags that give us everything we want at a price we find acceptable. But unfortunately, some brands do a super duper job of overselling themselves and we realize a bag isn't all it's cracked up to be. :hrmm: I've had that experience a couple of times. And it hasn't been correlated to price. Years ago, I used and truly abused a cheap non leather Bebe bag and it never gave up. Conversely, I bought a YSL bag that died within 6 months of not so regular use. :doh:

But, I also have 2 Prada double zip bags that are like iron and wear without issue. That's despite there being a lot of reports that these bags don't hold up.

So, I dunno. Certain brands do tend to deliver quality. But sometimes it comes down to a specific model or even manufacturing location / run of bag as to whether or not it will be high quality. Buying bags can be frustrating.

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
San Diego
You have a great Costco and I'm totally jealous. I haven't seen anything remotely designer in the one near me. :lol:

Brand marketing teams that do their jobs well influence their target market (and others) to adore their brand. The best brands have products that actually deliver on the brand promise(s).

That all being said, I think we flock to brands for one or more of five reasons.
1) We like the brand aesthetic / style
2) We prefer the brand's materials, quality, etc.
3) We like the brand experience (stores, service, packaging, delivery and return policies, etc.)
4) We like the brand power (what it says about the item and about us)
5) We deal with the price - it either constrains us or pushes us up to one brand or another.

The trick is to find bags that give us everything we want at a price we find acceptable. But unfortunately, some brands do a super duper job of overselling themselves and we realize a bag isn't all it's cracked up to be. :hrmm: I've had that experience a couple of times. And it hasn't been correlated to price. Years ago, I used and truly abused a cheap non leather Bebe bag and it never gave up. Conversely, I bought a YSL bag that died within 6 months of not so regular use. :doh:

But, I also have 2 Prada double zip bags that are like iron and wear without issue. That's despite there being a lot of reports that these bags don't hold up.

So, I dunno. Certain brands do tend to deliver quality. But sometimes it comes down to a specific model or even manufacturing location / run of bag as to whether or not it will be high quality. Buying bags can be frustrating.
This Costco just had the bags as a road show for Mothers Day. Agree some cheap bags can wear better than expensive ones. I have two Prada items - a deerskin wallet that is showing more wear than a saffiano one would have but I loved it and still carry it five years later. And a buffalo leather satchel that I bought preloved. Very durable. Glad your double zip Pradas have held up. For the price, they should.

Feb 21, 2017
I'm like a lot of us on the PF - impressed by expensive designer bags - even more so if they're displayed in a boutique compared to a discount store or online.
I went to Costco the other day. They had a display of handbags in the store - mostly Rebecca Minkoff, some Kate Spade, Michael Kors, etc.
As I was walking out I picked up this blue bag. I was thinking Coach had made another bag similar to the Borough bag. I thought it was nice but didn't love it. I hadn't noticed the logo. It was a Prada saffiano bag for $2,000 or something. Lesson to me: more expensive isn't always that much better.
I saw some IT bags in Sam's Warehouse also, priced at $1900. I am not spending money on the big names now with the quality going downhill on so many of them ( I am reading about them here on TPF). There are independent designers putting out stellar quality purses and they are getting my money.. Von Holzhausen, Masseccesi, etc. Just my humble opinion.

Mar 31, 2013
I saw the same display when I was in Costco the other day lol.