How much should I spend on bridesmaid gifts?

purly

resident knitting nerd
O.G.
Sep 30, 2006
I need help girls (and Charles and Vlad of course).

My wedding is a week away and I still have not picked out bridesmaid gifts. The main thing holding me back is $ right now because I don't know how much is appropriate to spend. Is it a percentage, is it a set amount, etc? I know these girls and this should be easy but it isn't. The only thing I am sure of is that I want to give it to them right before the wedding so that they both have really big smiles.

I was hoping someone on tpf could tell me what's appropriate here. How much did you spend on your bridesmaid gifts/what did you get them?

I'm getting married on the 27th and I just bought my girls their gifts today.

My fh and I are doing everything really laid back and casual, so we didnt' want over the top gifts.

We got his guys zippos and I got my girls star shaped jewelry boxes with their names engraved on them.

I know it probably seems really cheap, but I paid $15 a piece for guys' zippos and I paid $13 a piece for my girls' boxes. But I didn't want to spend a ton, money had been tight enough as it is ;). And the way I see it, it wasn't about the amount of money I spent, it's the thought that counts. I know they will each love their gifts.

So I would think about things that your girls would really love, because their gifts don't have to be expensive as long as they come from your heart and bring a smile to their faces.

You can take them to a spa and treat them too a mani/pedi , you can make up little gift baskets that have some of their favorite things in them , you can get lots of little things that suit thier personalitiy

^^Oh, she's very fun. I haven't seen her in awhile. The thing about the bridesmaids' gowns; from what I remember, they were fabulous as a cocktail dress and could be worn again, they weren't super wedding-y, kwim?

So I would think about things that your girls would really love, because their gifts don't have to be expensive as long as they come from your heart and bring a smile to their faces.

I keep getting stuck on the idea of getting them both the same gift, but you're right that I should be focusing on something they would both really like.

I was looking at this Tiffany's bracelet, but I sent the link to another friend and she says that's 'way too much to spend on a bridesmaid gift.' I just don't know what to do.

^^Oh, she's very fun. I haven't seen her in awhile. The thing about the bridesmaids' gowns; from what I remember, they were fabulous as a cocktail dress and could be worn again, they weren't super wedding-y, kwim?

Yeah, we did something similar with LBDs, some nice black mary janes, and pearl necklaces. I want them to have classic pieces.

I feel like the bridesmaid gifts shouldn't have anything to do with the wedding though. I want to get them something just for them.

I just went to the wedding where the bride gave the bride's maids fancy flip flops to wear after the ceremony. The dresses were different colors, so the flips flops matched the dresses. I thought that was a cute idea. She also got them some custom made jewelry. To answer your original question. I don't think there is a set amount, it's whatever you feel appropriate.

I gave my bridesmaids a jewelry set -- pearl necklace and bracelet (I can't remember if the set included earrings or not). I also included a Roses candle from Diptyque. I believe I got the jewelry sets from either Smartbargains.com or Overstock.com so they weren't very expensive.

It really all comes down to what you can afford and what you feel comfortable spending, not what you think is expected or what is considered tradition.

Well first off, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Have a WONDERFUL day!!!:yahoo:

I think it depends on how extravagant your wedding is, how much you can afford, how close the girls are to you, etc.
If you can comfortably afford a nice tiffany piece for them, I think that would be wonderful. :love:
If not, choozen1ne had great idea's about the baskets or a spa trip...:yes:

The most important thing to me, is buy it from your heart. :heart: Whatever it is, whatever you spend.

Have a wonderful wedding day! :tup:

Congrats on your wedding! I don't think there is any set amount :smile: Hope you don't mind my posting a suggestion or two for anyone looking for bridesmaid's gifts :smile:

If your bridesmaids are the type who wear jewelry, how about this?

Plethora

Jewelry roll silk duponi (she'll customise, adding the name or inital you want)

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6141828

plethorajewelryroll.jpg

Plethora also customises cosmetic bags:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=601810

plethoracosmeticbagsilkdupionicusto.jpg

For something really different, this is what the pendragonseye came up with in the past:

Wedding worry dolls

http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=5770084

thependragonseyeweddingworrydolls.jpg

i think whatever you feel appropriate is ok but i would also keep in mind of how much your bridesmaids are spending to be in your wedding. i've been in 3 weddings and the gifts have all ranged in different prices. in one wedding we got a gift cert to a spa ($35). the 2nd one the bride paid for our alterations and then also gave us jewelry for the wedding. and the 3rd one i believe not a single bridesmaid had to pay for her dress or alterations or hair and the bride gave us all totes that she customized with photos with goodies inside

i also believe that the more thought you put into it, the more they appreciate it not matter how much you spent. for me the spa cert was nice but i would have rather have done a spa day with all the girls. it would have meant more than just getting a piece of paper. but i did appreciate it because the massage i got from it was wonderful ;)

From my best friend I got my two dresses , my hair done, and a fabulous clutch to take to the wedding (complete with tissues). It was fabulous (cause I really needed the tissues!)