How much shampoo do you use?

Angel1988

O.G.
Feb 26, 2006
So lately I've been experimenting using less shampoo and washing my hair less frequently. I used to use a whole lot and did not have any adverse effects, as far as I know that is. I do have coloraturas treated hair and often curl my hair, so certain parts of my length are pretty damaged.

The plus side side so far is that my effort to curl my hair lasts a lot longer (around 3 days), which is nice to save time (and money).

However, I do feel that my scalp is a little oily when I go in my hair with my fingers. You can't see this though.

I've been reading a lot about no shampoo trends etcetera. I have no idea if my hair will gradually get less oily if I shampoo less, I always thought that was a myth.

What are your experiences?

Reactions: kroko
I usually shampoo on alternate days. If I am busy, I might shampoo once in three days, but generally, I find that alternate days works for me. I have been doing this for a while, and am happy with it. I use enough shampoo to get up a good lather. I don't know much about the no shampoo trend. Is that the trend where people just use conditioner? I don't think that would work for me.

I think it's good to pick a routine that suits your hair type.

I have thick wavy hair and used to wash (2 lots of shampoo), condition, and blow dry my hair everyday. Can’t remember exactly when I decided to drop this routine (5 years maybe?), but I started leaving a day between washing and then gradually extended the gap. Now I wash my hair no more than once a week. Small amount of shampoo, no repeat, and a very little conditioner. My hair‘s so much better behaved, and far less inclined to frizz. The condition is better for using less product and heat. I feel like like I was fighting my hair before - stripping it of oil and trying replace it with conditioner.
I don‘t think no-wash is an option, because traffic, air pollution and so on, makes hair physically dirty. But washing less often has been an eye opener for me. I used to be paranoid about getting caught in a rain shower, not anymore.

I have thick wavy hair and used to wash (2 lots of shampoo), condition, and blow dry my hair everyday. Can’t remember exactly when I decided to drop this routine (5 years maybe?), but I started leaving a day between washing and then gradually extended the gap. Now I wash my hair no more than once a week. Small amount of shampoo, no repeat, and a very little conditioner. My hair‘s so much better behaved, and far less inclined to frizz. The condition is better for using less product and heat. I feel like like I was fighting my hair before - stripping it of oil and trying replace it with conditioner.
I don‘t think no-wash is an option, because traffic, air pollution and so on, makes hair physically dirty. But washing less often has been an eye opener for me. I used to be paranoid about getting caught in a rain shower, not anymore.
same here.....we NC girls tend to have dry hair so no need to wash every day.....I can go a week or even longer. I do use a lot of conditioner on my thick hair though

Reactions: Clearblueskies
same here.....we NC girls tend to have dry hair so no need to wash every day.....I can go a week or even longer. I do use a lot of conditioner on my thick hair though

I'm sorry, but what does NC stand for?

After a couple of months I it's become pretty clear that I do still need to wash my hair pretty frequently, every other day or max every third day. My scalp just gets too oily. When I do my curls, I can go a little longer as I don't brush my hair.

I'm sorry, but what does NC stand for?

After a couple of months I it's become pretty clear that I do still need to wash my hair pretty frequently, every other day or max every third day. My scalp just gets too oily. When I do my curls, I can go a little longer as I don't brush my hair.
naturally curly