How much overcharge on shipping b4 you complain?

That is exactly how I feel about it. The shipping charges are clearly stated, so if you don't agree with them and are going to ask for a refund, then don't bid--or if you really want the item, see if you can work out a lower shipping rate ahead of time (NOT after you buy the thing) with the seller.

Sellers arrive shipping & handling fees based on all sorts of things, not just the actual shipping costs. Bubble wrap is expensive. Paper is expensive. So is tape. So is gasoline. The seller's time isn't free either.

Next time you are tempted to ask for your three or five bucks back "on principle", just think about the reasons why a seller might have set that shipping fee the way they did (and think about the fact that you as the buyer agreed to it!).

This is in NO way intended to bash buyers, because obviously as a seller, we need you!! But I just wanted to take a second and give you some food for thought about what else might go into the shipping & handling of your item.

edited because I wanted to add that if you pay for Priority and get First Class--that's totally different!! I would absolutely ask for (um, demand) a refund in that case.

I also won't bid if I think the s/h is way too high. I don't mind if they are making profit, which I never really think they are doing. Yes, there are those that do that, but I stay away from their auction. I also don't live next to a postal office. Sometimes it takes me over an hour. Like others have said, factor in the sellers time, the supplies, boxes, paper, gas, and well of course the actual postage.

I've never felt like I have gotten jerked around on the shipping fees, though I do always check to see how much I'm expected to pay to ship an item before I bid. My dad is a much more frequent ebayer than myself though (he buys and sells antique glassware) and he constantly runs into unscrupulous sellers and inflated shipping prices. People will charge him $25 to ship 5 or 6 pieces of glass, then send it wrapped in newspaper in a priority box for $5 - it arrives completely smashed, of course. Even when they arrive safely sometimes the buyer has obviously overcharged for the shipping service, the pieces just arrive intact by sheer luck. So he'll complain if the seller packaged his items poorly and charged him a ton to do it. There's a certain level of care that you can expect with $20-30 shipping I think.

I never realized how expensive shipping can be until I started selling bags. I just shipped a bag and it cost over $23 to ship a $300 bag- priority mail with insurance and sig confirmation. I undercharged shipping, but that's my fault.

As a buyer, I could see that $23 would seem excessive- but that was postage only. It think lots of buyers have no idea how expensive postage has gotten.

Honestly I sold some ebay stuff this week and the whiney ones who complained about shipping charges of $2,000 LV items made it straight to my blocked bidder list. They were clearly stated in auction and all included mandatory insurance and signature confirmation fees.
I had one dipwad ask if I'd please just ship it in a flat rate envelope for $4.65. I couldnt wait to put her on my blocked list! I felt like asking her- if you cant afford actual shipping charges on an expensive item, why are you even shopping for luxury goods??? Uggh!
I've never complained about shipping in over 8 years of ebaying. But it does tick me off it takes weeks to get something that you expect to arrive via priority because they used snail mail.
As a seller, it is easier for me to use priority cause I can print the label at home, thus better for me as a seller than driving to the post office and waiting in line to pay for cheap shipping. Even tho I have tons of customers ask for that. I always refuse.

I did purchase an item this week tho and the seller sent me $1 in the package because she overcharged me for actual shipping. It was suprising and sweet. But unnecessary. I got the item for 1/4 of retail. I wouldve been happy WAY overpaying her for shipping since I got such a deal. lol