How much is a quid?

Wildflower

O.G.
Apr 23, 2006
After reading the Shopaholics books I was just curious... on my Shopaholics calendar today, there is a quote from the book and it said something cost 40 quid. What's quid compared to pounds? Is it like we would say in the US 40 bucks compared to 40 dollars?

(edited to change "$40 quid" to "40 quid")

pounds are more expensive than american dollars. they treat the dollar the same as the pound, or "quid" but, it's roughly double for us. So, if it's 40 quid, its roughly 80 bucks. At least it was pretty much double for me when I was there 2 years ago :smile:

Yep 1 British pound is a quid. So if I spent £10 on something i'd say I had spent ten quid. It's slang here in Britain - I say it all the time in my posts then think " blimey - better say pounds or they won't know what i'm talking about!"

Okay how much is a buck then in terms of dollars? Is it equal to one dollar?

katy 1368 said:
Yep 1 British pound is a quid. So if I spent £10 on something i'd say I had spent ten quid. It's slang here in Britain - I say it all the time in my posts then think " blimey - better say pounds or they won't know what i'm talking about!"

Okay how much is a buck then in terms of dollars? Is it equal to one dollar?
Yes, it is. I usually say bucks -- "I bought something for 50 bucks" instead of 50 dollars..