How much is a pre-owned bag worth?

NewStyle

O.G.
Nov 18, 2009
Hi guys,
How would you go about determining how much a pre-owned or rather pre-loved bag is worth? I don't want to pay too much for something that's already used when I can just buy it new.

Share your experience with a newbie pretty please!

The bag is worth what the market will bear, meaning, what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Take a peek on Ebay to see finished auctions and the prices of the bags that sold. Check at consignment shops like annsfabulousfinds.com to check a particular designer. Do your research and you will discover the answer.

that totally depends on the brand of the bag too. An Hermes - pretty darn good resell value. A LE Vuitton? Same. A prada nylon one? not so much.
You get a pretty good idea on ebay what people are asking - and what others are offering!!

A pre-loved bag's worth totally depends on each individual bag. Label, condition, style, market popularity, etc. I agree with checking out ebay and bonanzle for similar bags to gauge current market price (but watch out for fakes!).

As I keep telling my husband (who has a $30K computer from the 80's that NOW is worth metal scrap prices) anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it (haven't succeeded in getting it out of the house)!

I don't like to buy anything without examining it in person so I go to consignment stores rather than eBay.

I find generally (in the guaranteed authentic section, in clean/nearly new condition) that Coach/Kate Spade/LAMB go for about 25-30% of retail, LV 90% (or more if it's a limited edition) and I've never seen anything there higher end than LV.

Like everything, there is a wide variety of factors. The main ones are:

Condition
How often does the bag go on sale?
How many are out there?
Is this bag desirable?

Last edited:
It depends on the conditions, age, brand, style (classis design or not) and color of the bag, whether or not it was on sales, does it comes with the original package (receipt, dustbag, care cards, box ..etc), and of course the demand. Basically Im only willing to paying half of the retail price (if there is sales, I will take the sales price) if the bag is 1 year and above.

Like everyone has said. It really depends on the bag. A LV speedy resells for pretty close to full retail but the LV bucket you are lucky to get $400 for it and the retail I think is over $1100.

Thank you so much for your input. I have never bought anything pre-owned and online. But I've been looking for a nice everyday black bag for work (which is why I didn't want to pay full price). I'm eyeing a black leather coach carley on ebay and its listed for about $400. I'm wondering if this is too much considering that I can probably buy a new coach for this price if I made a trip to the outlets (out of town).

Yes, you can definitely get a $400 new Coach bag at the outlet stores, but they don't carry the popular styles like Carly. IMO, the $400 on an ebay Carly is worth it if it is definitely the bag you want. Also, before you bid on it, it would be best to have it authenticated in the Coach thread.

Good luck!

It all depends on the brand, design, age, material and how popular it is.
If you are eyeing anything from evilbay, sometimes a bag can go above what the "secondhand" price due to lots of bidder, and sometimes you might get lucky if the listing/ending time is nobody around!
peek around evilbay (make sure it is authentic off course) and do your own judgement how bad how soon you want her ;)

it is worth what you are willing to pay.

You may want to poke around with the free ebay auction estimator tool at http://cgi5.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SellHub3&_trksid=l1528 it is the terapeak box in the center below the yellow "sell here" box. Normally you have to pay for the tool but for some reason they offer it right there for free. If you plug in what you're looking for it tells an estimate of what it is going for lately on ebay and therefore you can estimate what a particular item may be worth.