How much info should I disclose as a seller?

kristyw

KW
O.G.
Dec 1, 2009
I'm going to sell a couple high-end designer items on eBay for the first time and would like some advice on how much I should disclose regarding my items.

The thing is, the items were bought in Paris by my BF's parents (who lives in HK) during their Europe trip earlier and the items are now in Hong Kong. I was going to have my sister and brother (who are taking summer vacation in HK now) bring them back to the US in August for me to sell. However, due to a recent price increase of the items in other parts of the world (beside US), it seems to me that I have better prospect selling the items to Asian countries (the price would be more attractive to them and I can make more profit).

I would like to list the items on eBay and change item location to Hong Kong. Then if it sells to HK or other parts of Asia, the shipping will be cheaper and would arrive faster. I could also avoid the import duty fees (which would be A LOT) if the items do not come into the US.

The problem is, buyers are often very skeptical (I would be the same when I'm the buyer). Would they find it sketchy that they are dealing with someone from the US while the item is in HK? Also, I know buyers often request additional pictures taken. While my sister would help me take as many pictures as she could during her stay in HK (till August), I don't think I could response to buyers in a very timely manner (may take 2-3 days to get more pictures due to time difference) because the bags are not physically with me. Should I disclose my situation from the beginning in my listing? I am worried that it may turn away a lot of potential buyers who are worried about scams.

What do you guys think? Disclose the whole story up front or just tell the truth when buyers inquire? Am I going to get myself into a lot of trouble by having complex arrangements like that in case of disputes (non-paying buyers, false SNAD claim, bait and switch etc)? Please let me know if there's anything I should be aware of :confused1: THANK YOU :smile:

I would have the items in my possesion. And sell them from that location. For example, bring them in to the location YOU are, and have that location on your ebay. it is good to be honest to a point, but you don't need to describe the items trip around the world. I am sure you are an honest person, but if I read all that on an ebay listing I would not buy.

^^ I agree, if you want to sell the items, its going to be your best bet to have them in your possession. I wouldnt buy from anyone who didnt have the item with them, no matter what the story was

it is good to be honest to a point, but you don't need to describe the items trip around the world. I am sure you are an honest person, but if I read all that on an ebay listing I would not buy.

That's what I figured buyers would think, and I don't want good buyers who are skeptical to turn away :cry:

^^ I agree, if you want to sell the items, its going to be your best bet to have them in your possession. I wouldnt buy from anyone who didnt have the item with them, no matter what the story was

I guess I just have to bring the items back to the US and face the import duty then. Sounds like regardless of how honest one try to be, it's just impossible to trust anyone on the internet when so much money is involved... The world would have been so much easier for if there are not so many scammers :Push:

I agree with Designing Style...if you disclosed all that, I would not feel comfortable buying from you. But it would be dishonest to imply that you have them in your possession, when really they're in another country. Get the items shipped to you, and then sell them.

Why don't your relatives list it themselves? Most people who'd be comfortable buying from abroad usually won't be so comfortable anymore if you give them a story about how you're in one country but listing products in another.

I would have the items in my possesion. And sell them from that location. For example, bring them in to the location YOU are, and have that location on your ebay. it is good to be honest to a point, but you don't need to describe the items trip around the world. I am sure you are an honest person, but if I read all that on an ebay listing I would not buy.

agree here.. you need to have the merchandise in your possession..

would be reluctant to buy knowing that the merchandise is in HK or

another location..

If under item location you do not enter HK, I consider that to be dishonest. I had a seller do that to me recently. Thank goodness i did not end up bidding on the item. They said they lived in Michigan and have a warehouse in HK and would be returning there in a few weeks. I was PO'd that they would have taken my money and weren't planning to mail my item until up to a month later. I purposely edit out auctions from China for a variety of reasons. I agree with a hellokitty99 - have your sister sell the item from HK if you think it will fetch more money there.

I hate to say it, but I agree with the rest. You are probably best off just waiting until you have them and listing them out of your location. It's probably a bit more cost and hassle on your end, but you'll probably end up with more bidders that way (and thus a better price). It's nice that you want to be so honest, but with all of the scammers out there, that honesty probably wont help you much.

I agree with Designing Style...if you disclosed all that, I would not feel comfortable buying from you. But it would be dishonest to imply that you have them in your possession, when really they're in another country. Get the items shipped to you, and then sell them.

Why don't your relatives list it themselves? Most people who'd be comfortable buying from abroad usually won't be so comfortable anymore if you give them a story about how you're in one country but listing products in another.

A few extra bucks ain't worth the hassle...and risk, if you ask me.

agree here.. you need to have the merchandise in your possession..

would be reluctant to buy knowing that the merchandise is in HK or

another location..

if you want to sell them from hk, you should have your relatives list them for you as if they were selling the item. that way, it'd avoid a lot of suspicion.

If under item location you do not enter HK, I consider that to be dishonest. I had a seller do that to me recently. Thank goodness i did not end up bidding on the item. They said they lived in Michigan and have a warehouse in HK and would be returning there in a few weeks. I was PO'd that they would have taken my money and weren't planning to mail my item until up to a month later. I purposely edit out auctions from China for a variety of reasons. I agree with a hellokitty99 - have your sister sell the item from HK if you think it will fetch more money there.

Thank you for all your feedbacks! Now that I've seen how you guys think, I definitely wouldn't list the location in HK while I am in the US. I would just have her (and my younger brother) bring the items back in August so that I have the items with me. ;)

As far as having my sister sell them for from HK directly - I have thought about that, but she's not as familiar with the items as I am and it would be so much hassle for her (it's her summer vacation after all) to take additional pictures and answer all buyer's requests asap etc.