How much info should I disclose as a seller?

if you want to sell them from hk, you should have your relatives list them for you as if they were selling the item. that way, it'd avoid a lot of suspicion.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. The seller should ALWAYS have the item in their possession. In fact, when buying highend items I will seek to verify this by having the seller take extra pictures for me. They should be listed on an Asian version of eBay if they are in HK.

Havent I read somewhere that it is against ebay rules to list an item that is not in your possession? I could be mistaken, but I agree completely with everyone else. I knowingly will not buy from a seller that does not have the items in hand. Sounds suspiciously as dropshipping....and please do not thinkI am saying this is the case(now), but it is what I think when a seller has a similar situation.

A few extra bucks ain't worth the hassle...and risk, if you ask me.

ITA!! i got a headache just reading it. i can't imagine the problems that would be caused. i would not buy anything from someone that does not have the items in their possession! and the item being in another country is even worse.:nogood:

I'm going to sell a couple high-end designer items on eBay for the first time and would like some advice on how much I should disclose regarding my items.

The thing is, the items were bought in Paris by my BF's parents (who lives in HK) during their Europe trip earlier and the items are now in Hong Kong. I was going to have my sister and brother (who are taking summer vacation in HK now) bring them back to the US in August for me to sell. However, due to a recent price increase of the items in other parts of the world (beside US), it seems to me that I have better prospect selling the items to Asian countries (the price would be more attractive to them and I can make more profit).

I would like to list the items on eBay and change item location to Hong Kong. Then if it sells to HK or other parts of Asia, the shipping will be cheaper and would arrive faster. I could also avoid the import duty fees (which would be A LOT) if the items do not come into the US.

The problem is, buyers are often very skeptical (I would be the same when I'm the buyer). Would they find it sketchy that they are dealing with someone from the US while the item is in HK? Also, I know buyers often request additional pictures taken. While my sister would help me take as many pictures as she could during her stay in HK (till August), I don't think I could response to buyers in a very timely manner (may take 2-3 days to get more pictures due to time difference) because the bags are not physically with me. Should I disclose my situation from the beginning in my listing? I am worried that it may turn away a lot of potential buyers who are worried about scams.

What do you guys think? Disclose the whole story up front or just tell the truth when buyers inquire? Am I going to get myself into a lot of trouble by having complex arrangements like that in case of disputes (non-paying buyers, false SNAD claim, bait and switch etc)? Please let me know if there's anything I should be aware of :confused1: THANK YOU :smile:

I don't understand duty on imports, maybe, but if they were shipped here from Hong Kong to the buyer wouldn't the buyer have to pay duty on them? Just curious...

I don't understand duty on imports, maybe, but if they were shipped here from Hong Kong to the buyer wouldn't the buyer have to pay duty on them? Just curious...

Per my understanding, anyone who brings in goods into the US has to pay import duty at US customs. And you're right, when I sell my items overseas, the buyer also needs to pay any import duty applicable to his/her country. What I was saying earlier was to avoid paying import duty on my part.

Havent I read somewhere that it is against ebay rules to list an item that is not in your possession? I could be mistaken, but I agree completely with everyone else. I knowingly will not buy from a seller that does not have the items in hand. Sounds suspiciously as dropshipping....and please do not thinkI am saying this is the case(now), but it is what I think when a seller has a similar situation.

I do not know of that rule about can't list an item not physically in seller's possession. Would be great if someone could figure out whether it really is against eBay rule (although I've made up my mind to get the items back to the US before I list them).

It could be considered dropshipping I guess. From what you said it sounded like dropshipping is unethical/inappropriate? Although I'm not gonna list my items without them in my possesion anymore, I would like to know why you seem to think dropshipping is not a good idea). I mean, isn't dropshipping a commonly accepted business practice, as long as the buyer is aware of the location the item is shipped from (which was why in my original post I said I would change the item location to HK)? Would be great if you could shed some light (or please let me know if I have misunderstood you ;)

I agree with all other members!

And I recall reading on eBay or PayPal (do not remember exactly), in order to be protected by eBay/ PayPal in the event of disputes, the item has to be shipped from your PayPal confirmed address. Please, if anyone also recalls reading this, please verify too.

I recall a fellow poster on the ebay forum here made mention that they had re-used a shipping envelope that had come from somewhere in Asia (I do not recall the country sadly) to help pad a package they sent to a buyer. Buyer got it and thought they were getting a fake because of the re-use of packing by the seller. I think seller had to take the return as buyer feared it was fake, but that would be my concern if I was selling in this instance that buyer would see it's from HK and assume fake immediately.

I agree with all other members!

And I recall reading on eBay or PayPal (do not remember exactly), in order to be protected by eBay/ PayPal in the event of disputes, the item has to be shipped from your PayPal confirmed address. Please, if anyone also recalls reading this, please verify too.

Don't know about this but I am thinking, if I live in metro city A and I work in metro city B and shipped from there, wouldn't that mean I am not shipping from my PayPal verified address. It would say on the postage stamp/dc&sc update that I shipped from metro city B and not A~ I would assume a lot of people do this as well, unless they work in the same town they live in or have time during business hours to ship from the PO in their home town...

It would be helpful if anyone can confirm that. . .