How much general people think for a reasonable price to pay for a bag?

Vicky2007

Chanel * Bal * LV
O.G.
Jan 2, 2007
Sometimes I think people think am so crzy to pay too much for a bag. I felt like bag price increase like crazy during the last few years and for a while I get used to it.

I felt that mid-range bags are also increase their price too and it's not cheap at all.

How much you think is a reasonable price to pay for a bag for general people? not the purse-addicted?

Thanks!

This question/answer is strictly relative to one's income to debt ratio, and what is comfortable for each individual person's situation.
I don't think there is a "one price fits all" for any given person.

While it is really dependent on the persons income, I think the 'average' person (not a tpf'er) probably wouldn't spend more than a few hundred dollars on their nicest bag.

Oh, I agree with LewLew because from my own personal experience before I joined the purse forum two years ago, if I ever spent $150 on a bag, I treated it like it was a Balenciaga! But, really, it is all relative. I do agree, however, that since the economy is stinky right now and people I know are truly downsizing and re-arranging their priorities, maybe some adjustments have been made with respect to the amount spent on handbags today, as well. Seeing that a cheap vinyl Kathy VanZeeland is $100 (as an example), I would think that a $200 price is very reasonable for the average person. My thoughts....to be specific about prices..

Last edited:
This question/answer is strictly relative to one's income to debt ratio, and what is comfortable for each individual person's situation.
I don't think there is a "one price fits all" for any given person.

ITA. My mother buys her purses at flea markets and spends less than $15. Yes, you read right. It is not because of their income either. She just thinks that it is a waste, but I know she'd accept a more expensive bag if it was given to her, as long as she didn't think it was over the top (i.e., more than $300).

I do agree, however, that since the economy is stinky right now and people I know are truly downsizing and re-arranging their priorities, maybe some adjustments have been made with respect to the amount spent on handbags today, as well. Seeing that a cheap vinyl Kathy VanZeeland is $100 (as an example), I would think that a $200 price is very reasonable for the average person. My thoughts....to be specific about prices..

Good point Compass........people are probably willing to spend less now with the economy the way it is and it costing $70 for one tank of gas!

Before tpf, I seldom went over $50 or $60 at TJMAXX. My most expensive bag was a dooney leather that cost $230 and I treated it like a Chanel!!!!

I'm a brandname lover since I was as young as 15 :sweatdrop: and it went crazy when am in Uni and continuing until now (lol). Anyway, at that time my mom only allow 2 bags a year as she is the one who paid for me. For me it is worth to pay coz all my bags are still with me after 10+ years pass by.

Oh, I agree with LewLew because from my own personal experience before I joined the purse forum two years ago, if I ever spent $150 on a bag, I treated it like it was a Balenciaga!

Me too! I used to think that anything over a hundred was spending A LOT of money on a bag. It's almost disconcerting to see how much my attitude has changed as I become exposed to more and more expensive handbags. My Mom on the other hand would never spend over $30 on a purse and will keep that purse for years and only buy a new one when it wears out.

So far $450 is the most I've spent. Considering how I've always got my eye on another one I'd like to keep it in that range and really $300 or under if I can help it.

Linda

Yeah $500-600 seems to be my threshhold right now. Any higher than that and I start to think about how one purse could equate to a piece of furniture for my home or a weekend trip somewhere. Just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on anything higher than that... yet. :shame:

This is very interesting and I definitely think it depends partially on the financial status of the person. Before I discovered TPF $150 was my absolute max, then last year I broke the $2000 line. It did hurt my heart though and I haven't done it again, lol!!!

But I would say for someone who isn't purse obsessed, around $300.