How Much Do Your Clothes or Bags Define Who You Are ?

1. How Do You Define Who You Are ?

Education, Money, Life's Experiences, Career, Marriage, etc.....

Do you buy clothing to fit your body and not your personality ? or both ?

Ladies & Gentlemen your comments and views would be greatly appreciated.

2. I, define who I am and I buy clothes that fit my body or enhance it.

3. My clothes definetely say Im very laid back, and not flashy. Lots of jeans and t-s. But my bags say "aww, now I see where all her money goes!" LOL

4. My clothes doesn't define me at all. None of the clothes I want to wear fits me, so I have just given up and wear cheap sweat pants which I hate and tank tops, but I've started to exercise as I feel like I'm trapped in a body that isn't mine and that I can't express myself trough clothing.

5. They don't really. Most of the people in my circles are oblivious to designers and don't really know what I'm wearing, other than that I have a fairly "non-corporate" look and like to dress up.

6. I think clothes can often scream volumes... more about who you think you are than what you actually are.

Editted because I realize that could sound catty when I don't mean it to. I mean, most people are pretty accurate about knowing themselves. If somebody is wearing those preppy khaki shorts with tennis racquets embroidered all over, you can bet tennis is probably a hobby. If she's wearing a pert ponytail with a ribbon tied into a bow and a navy blue polo, she might conceive of herself as part of prep-school culture. There's corporate casual, corporate luxury, and just the type of suit one wears (Brooks Brothers or Dolce & Gabbana) can indicate what industy one is in.

7. I think if anything defines who you are, it is your actions. Life is about the decisions made and actions you take moreso than anything else.

I agree with Intlset about clothes and how people try to use them to define who they are. It's all phlooie to me, but that doesn't mean that I don't like to dress well either.

8. I define myself through my education and my passions, those are the only ones that can draw me a profile.
    I like to wear clothes that fit my body and match my personality, but I don't always manage to do that, lately I've been wearing only pink shoes and that really doesn't define me:weird:

9. I think I may have misinterpreted the question. I thought the question was about the way we may or may not gain our self-identity from the clothes and accessories that we had and that's why I said not much because my sense of myself comes from other things--not those. If, however, the question is about signage and symbols--well, then--yes--a whole lot. I very deliberately chose to dress a certain way and I'm in a field in which I don't have a lot of constraints, so that I'm able to express myself through my clothes and enjoy doing so. My look is largely a boho look, although I also enjoy a leather and lace thing and the mixture of elements from several different styles, textures, etc. And I love heels.

10. I wear clothes that I don't have to follow a fad. I usualy have my own taste very basic yet put together classy. I usually have black in my wardrobe but I'm slowly getting some color. You can see me in laid back hoodie, t-shirt with old pair of jeans one day and the next I can be dressed up and you would be blown away. Clothes do say a lot about a person and every person is different in their own way.

11. 1. not too sure how to answer the first question :shame:

2. i buy clothes to fit my body and my personality :amuse: but i seriously wish i had a personal shopper because i have NO clothes that a really suitable for work... hehehehe! i'm always wearing jandals :shame:

12. I have so many different types of bags and clothes because I have so many different sides to me. As a court reporter I need to dress in suits and carry a somewhat conservative bag. I also ride a motorcyle and have a Harley-Davidson handbag and clothes for biking. I ski in the winter months and have a wardrobe for that. I travel to the islands quite a bit so I have summer clothes and summer bags too. I also go out several times a year to black tie events. I have gowns and evening bags for those events. I guess you could say my clothes and bags define who I am no matter who I am on a particular day!

13. I would say all the above, maybe alittle more career. My clothes, even though I'm a big woman (14-16), I manage to find clothes that define me....down to my shoes and handbags! I try to stay hip/instyle and at the same time stick to classics, alot of accessorizing. I wear alot of black and funky stuff, I can't help it....I'm from the Punkrock era! I've toned it down alot though, gettin' too old!

14. For me, I think of clothing as just an outward extension of either my personality, my mood, or my level of caring for my attire at that moment!!!

I'm a bit of a style chameleon (sp?), meaning I enjoy pulling off a variety of different looks within a given week. Sometimes I'll wear little victorias secret PINK shorts with a tank top and flip flops, sometimes I'll be dolled up in jean bermuda shorts, with a trendy top and cute accessories- sometimes I'll rock jeans and a band shirt, sometimes I'll wear a mini and a babydoll- its allll about how I'm feeling. I think it accuratly depicts who I am, because who I am is always changing, and evolving. :smile:

as for handbags, I'm more limited in the ones I can purchase, but I'd like to think that they reflect the fact that I have good taste. = )

annnd, I chose clothes for their style first- most things are fairly flattering on me, so I worry about that second. :smile:

15. I definitely feel that clothes are an outward representation of who I am. I love clothes and they speak volumes about my personality. I think I've become more conservative in recent years, but clothes and bags have never actually defined me as a person. Rather, they are a statement of my mood, and my budget (lol).

My favorite and most comfortable look is a pair of jeans, a really cute tight top, a pair of heels, and my LV purse. Other days I just throw on a sweater and old jeans and that's fine for me too. I'm pretty young so I would have to say that my education and life experiences are part of what define me, but not completely. Both have simply helped to shape who I am today. My culture is also part of what defines me. I could go on forever. I hope I'm making sense though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice