How much do you spend on personal maintenance/grooming monthly?

thanks for the reccommendation piggy! i have been forever trying to find something that makes my cuticles look better... rather than just having them not cut.

this may be a stupid question but what are the benefits of not cutting the cuticles? or can someone point me in the direction of a thread where i can find this, thanks!

Hair - I used to go to a nice salon, spending at least $100 for color alone. Then my hairdresser (who I was unhappy with at this point anyway) dyed my hair a much darker color by accident, and I realized I really like it but that I could easily do this at home from a box. Now I spend $10 a month on hair color.

I had a similar experience. I was getting highlights. The hairdresser screwed up and eventually had to dye my hair a darker color to cover up the botched highlights. I loved it! When the hairdresser claimed she was unable to replicate that color during the next visit...Hello Clairol! I've never looked back.

I also love that faintly furtive feeling one gets when you're dying your hair late at night in the bathroom sink and you're pretending that you're an international girl-spy on the run and changing your identity in a motel room bathroom in the middle of nowhere before you hop on your motorcycle and speed off to the secret-message drop. O.k., I'm middle-aged, humor me... :shame:

hi I just came back from sephora today and man it is just so easy to spend over $100 there without even thinking. I need to cut back on how much I spend a month on products. not sure if I should also post this in the money talks forum but The question is:

How much do you spend a month on your various products. This includes facial care, facial lotions and potions, makeup as well as bath and body products. You can also include hair products like shampoo and styling products but DON'T include the price of haircuts or services like facials or waxing, etc.

I thought this could be a fun thread to compare with others At the end of each month we can keep each other accountable as well and ask

1) How much you spend
2) What you spend it on....the breakdown of products
3) What you FINALLY used up :biggrin:
And last
4) Are you trying to cut back like me? Or are you a product junky and hoarder? What is your approach towards beauty and grooming? High or low maintenance? Share your philosophy if you'd like and how you try to limit
yourself from over indulging.

hope that wasn't too long or complicated. hope you'll play along too.

1) About $150 not including taxes,
2) $35 Juice Beauty Apple peel+ $32 on Caudalie Beauty Elixir, + $38 stick concealer + $30 eyebrow powder $2 facial cotton + $10 purse mirror + $3 mini nail clipper for purse
3) My empties: used up some travel sizes of aveda mint shampoo, conditioner and body wash
and Mario badescu healing cream, drying cream, and Mario badescu travel sized shampoo
Finished off an old burt's bees lip balm finally
4) my goal is to cut down for the next 6 months and come back to this list at the end of next month only to list what I've used up. I am allowed to buy only if I need to replace something essential. Active ingredients expire so I need to try to fight the impulse to overindulge in products. I need to use a lot of things up before I am allowed to repurchase anything

I'm actually going to work this out. Each year I purchase new foundation, power, mascara, eyeliner and lipgloss. I tend to keep eyeshadows and blushes for a few years. They're all fairly 'low end' brands, but I find that they're good quality & work well for me.

Yearly make-up:
Almay Foundation - $35.95 AU
Almay Power - $28.95 AU
Covergirl Liquiline Blast Eyeliner - $14.95 AU
Covergirl Lashblast Mascara - $17.95 AU
Loreal Glam Shine 6hr Lipgloss - $26.45

I also always buy pawpaw ointment for my lips, which costs about $5. I have a few too many lipglosses because my lips get so chapped and cracked. I'm trying not to buy any more, because I have so many and pawpaw ointment works wonders!

About twice yearly I buy facial products:
Natio Oil Free Moisturiser - $9.95 AU
Natio Oil Control Toning Lotion - $9.95 AU
Natio Wash It Off Cleanser - $9.95 AU
St Ives Apricot Scrub - $9.95 AU
Earth & Body Clear Henna Wax - $5.95 AU

My total for the year is: $220.75 AU

If I divide that by 12, a rough monthly amount is: $18.40 AU

I am looking for a good hydrating mask and an easy to apply liquid eyeliner... Hopefully I won't spend lots of money on a lot of duds before finding some good products. I always use up my products before purchasing something new, unless they're a really good sale (or I need lipgloss because I've forgotten some at home and my lips hurt... This has happened so many times!).

I guess I'm fairly low maintenance - I only wear full make-up when at work and going out at night. When I'm at home I don't wear make-up and when I'm at University I only wear eye-makeup and lipgloss. I might be high maintenance when it comes to a skin routine though! I cleanse, tone & moisturise every day, and exfoliate 2-3 times a week.

I'd say any where from 100-200 on average. I usually buy from Sephora and what i buy depends on whats is new, what caught my eye or what i'm obsessing over that moment. I haven't used not one thing I have bought completely up. I'm actually trying to cut back, i have just way to much makeup and beauty products. I have a bookcase full, a long makeup table full and a very large storage tower full, enough is enough.

ooooo! fun!

1. between 100-200 dollars.
2. varies every month. alot of it now tends to be nail polish.
3. i have only ever used up one thing. it was a matte powder which is discontinued.
4. i'm actually getting worse rather than cutting back. i'm starting to create an uncanny collection. i was a pretty low matience girl, i guess i'm trying to be high matience but half that time i'm too lazy to do my make up and hair and i end up with a pony tail and tinted moisturizer. my life style currently makes it hard to use all these lovely things i have on a regular basis.

1. It definitely varies between $20-200 a month

2. Usually hair and skin care and makeup. I don't have to buy staples every month though since they usually last 3+ months so there really is no specific product that I must re-buy monthly. But I can say for the most part all my staples run out at the same time so those I usually my "higher" months.

3. All I really use up are facial cleansers and moisturizers, foundation, powder, eyeliner, and mascara.

4. I'm trying to cut back and wait until I use up a product before trying sometime else.. luckily there isn't much on my "to-buy" list. I guess one can say I'm high-maintenance to a point.. I do wear makeup about 6 times a week.. I'm working on taking better care of my skin and hair. I love to be groomed and look put together. My philosophy is that it's worth it to take an extra 30 minutes to feel good about myself...

1. Varies too much. Depends on what I see and if I want it enough to buy it then and there.

2. Sunscreen/sunblock, eyeshadow, perfume, lotions (although I have way too much of this), shampoo/conditioners.

3. Finished off Shishedo sunblock and replaced it with a brand new one :smile: I'm coming close to finishing off a Dior night time moisturizer and a Lush cleanser.

4. I'm trying to cut back! Lately, whenever I see something I want, I think to myself, "Do I really need this or is it a want?" (My current makeup lusts: Candles (Jo Malone and Diptyque - don't have Diptyque yet. Hakuhodo brushes, don't have one yet. Trying to refrain since I have some MAC brushes I haven't used yet). For eyeshadows, I'm wanting the Naked 2 palette, but then I realize I still have 3 brand new palettes and 3 palettes currently being rotated through. With each of my "want" items, I then compare it to something else I'm lusting after (i.e. shoes, furniture, etc.) So far the other category of non-makeup items is winning. That and I have brand new makeup items that I haven't touched yet. I think of myself as low maintenance for make up, but bf might disagree and say I'm high maintenance for makeup sometimes.

About $50-65 a month.

I love a good facial moisturizer or Asian products like Shiseido or Missha. I love buying a new Chanel eyeshadow color. sometimes i may skip a month and buy another color another time but its lovely.