How much do we hate the 16 Series Caviar?

Unfortunately, this one I bought from a private seller so I am unable to return. I wish I knew about the 16 series caviar ahead of purchase. My only option will be to sell it if I do decide, hopefully not at a loss.
I agree, it’s a beautiful bag. It sounded like you were unhappy and had a choice whether to keep or return, which is why I recommended don’t settle.

Circumstances aside, it’s a stunner at an amazing price. Ultimately, you have to be happy, but I think you’re going to love it.

I have a matte black classic I purchased in 2014 (series 19) which sounds similar. When I got it, I didn’t really notice it or compare it to my other caviar bags I had at that time. I only noticed it later. I had at that point, still currently have, a black caviar from 2006 which is shiny and puffier. I also have a wallet from 2022 I believe which is matte as well, which really made me notice the differences. I do like shiny, but I am not willing to sell to rebuy another. I do try to condition it on occasion. I still like mine and am happy that I have it.

Last edited:
I think the different leathers/finishes make life more interesting! Your bag is beautiful! And that price. Doesn’t matter the price if you’re unhappy…but wow. Pretty dang good. I have a feeling the conditioner will shine it up a bit. Either way, enjoy!

To me, there’s nothing “wrong” with your lovely jumbo. Do note the more we use our bags, the chemical contact from our body against the leather will moisten it in the long run. That’s why one may notice a leather bag kept unused for too long will end up drying the leather.

I think you may just give her more mileage and regular conditioning. You’ve got a bag that can stand the test of time. I have Chanel vintage, as well as older series like 2008-2012 (can’t recall if it’s 16 or 17 series). They indeed have been serving me well.

If I gotta cite one example with my past years of buying Chanel, either 20 or 21 series was a bad taste in my mouth. I bought a CF caviar, used it, but never loved it. It felt like carrying a chunk of plastic (was a jumbo). Apparently I had sold it.

Suggest you give her a chance? Anyway you can’t return it. If you really don’t feel for it in the end, you can always sell it. That’s what Chanel CF can do for you.

One of the rules of SM is that more people pile in when there's a lot of hate/complaining than when there is love/praise to be had. Marketing statisticians often swing the pendulum towards the positive to account and redress the balance for this anomaly in human behaviour.

Different textures and finishes suit different people. If someone's a high-shine, urban dramatic, that's one look, if someone's a stealth, natural sophisticate, that's another.

Think about your own look(s) style and use your own judgement.
Amen to this!

And to the OP:

Unless the bag has been stored in a laundry drying room, this is not a dry leather.

I wish people would understand what DRY leather is. These bags do not even need to be conditioned, but we are made to believe they have to be. I own a 1987 Chanel and do u think ladies back then conditioned their bags all the time? this bad is a bit more matte due to its finish and due to the fact that the animal it came from is different than the animal the next bag is made from.

I wish everyone would appreciate the uniqueness of leather. And the fact that an animal died for this. Therefore, if you want a shinier one, sell it and look out for a shinier one. But if you wonder about other peoples opinion: you need to love it. No one else. ❤️❤️

For example: my mini, 2018 caviar, is super shiny. It’s shiny because they actually CALLED it shiny caviar which means i Suddenly found myself thinking: oh god do I not have THE original caviar? Does this make my mini less worthy? do I need one that is more matte? And then I told myself to get a grip because I LOVE IT. It looks almost wet in some lighting that’s how shiny it is but there were times I wished it would be matte. So: if u like it keep it. If u don’t, wait for the perfect one!

Reactions: papertiger
Amen to this!

And to the OP:

Unless the bag has been stored in a laundry drying room, this is not a dry leather.

I wish people would understand what DRY leather is. These bags do not even need to be conditioned, but we are made to believe they have to be. I own a 1987 Chanel and do u think ladies back then conditioned their bags all the time? this bad is a bit more matte due to its finish and due to the fact that the animal it came from is different than the animal the next bag is made from.

I wish everyone would appreciate the uniqueness of leather. And the fact that an animal died for this. Therefore, if you want a shinier one, sell it and look out for a shinier one. But if you wonder about other peoples opinion: you need to love it. No one else. ❤️❤️

For example: my mini, 2018 caviar, is super shiny. It’s shiny because they actually CALLED it shiny caviar which means i Suddenly found myself thinking: oh god do I not have THE original caviar? Does this make my mini less worthy? do I need one that is more matte? And then I told myself to get a grip because I LOVE IT. It looks almost wet in some lighting that’s how shiny it is but there were times I wished it would be matte. So: if u like it keep it. If u don’t, wait for the perfect one!

:tup:

and as others have said on here too, matte leathers often become shinier with wear.

I have been on the hunt for a Classic Jumbo SHW for a few months now. After receiving a 13 series single flap that was extremely misrepresented by TRR (they approved my return), I found a 16 series double flap from a private seller. The condition is immaculate! It doesn’t seem like it has been used. I spent $5100 on it, which is still over my budget, but it was only $600 more than another 13 series single flap that I was looking at that had more wear. When I finally received the 16 series double flap, everything was perfect except for the fact that it was dull and dry. The reason why I was even on the hunt for a Jumbo in the first place was because of my aunt’s shiny Jumbo that almost blinded me last Christmas. I am now debating on what to do. On one hand, I am inclined to keep it because of the price and condition. On the other hand, it is really not what I expected.

I did a deep dive on the 16 series batch, even reading posts back from 2012, and everyone seem to hate it. I did notice though that some more recent series are kinda similar to my 16 series. I am wondering, is there anyone out there who likes the more matte, dry, stiff, not as puffy, not as black bag (16 series or the more recent ones like this)?

I love both the shiny and the matte. I think this bag is gorgeous.

I was just going to reiterate what @katlina said. While some may think certain series have X characteristics, when it comes to the Classic Black flaps, any differences really come down to the the difference in the skins used. All are unique. Now seasonal are a different case as they may have a particular finish.

What a lovely collection! What color is your pinky/purple B?

@disappeared you have an amazing Hermes collection!

2014-2016 was actually when I first got into purchasing and collecting Chanel, so I lived through the time of inconsistent caviars. Disclaimer: My comments here are only based on the photos...but I'm aware that the 3d quilting effect looks different, and better in-person, compared to photographs.

Unfortunately, your jumbo's caviar is the one I did not find acceptable. The very first WOC I purchased in 2015 was in this dry-matte leather, whereas the one on display had glistening, shiny caviar that looked like black diamond pave in the boutique. Because I was inexperienced, I took it home and I kept looking at it, wondering why I was never impressed with it...whereas the one I saw in the boutique made me instantly fall in love. The SA who sold it to me insisted that all the leathers were the same and would become identically shiny after handling...but anyway I returned it and waited 2-3 weeks until I got a shiny caviar WOC. And every time I took it out, it never failed to give me joy that was lacking to me with the very matte caviar.

I then purchased a M/L classic flap in fall 2016, 23xxxxxx series. It wasn't the first black caviar classic flap that was offered to me...I had to wait about a year before I got a silver hardware flap I was satisfied with. This caviar is neither super shiny, nor matte...it's satiny, softly shiny, and smooth-looking rather than beady and bumpy. It's beautiful in a different way. I have pictures if anyone is interested, but I didn't want to "invade" with them in someone else's thread.

You got a great deal on this jumbo, but if it doesn't stun you like your aunt's jumbo did, it's OK to want a different one.