How much do we hate the 16 Series Caviar?

disappeared

Aug 19, 2018
I have been on the hunt for a Classic Jumbo SHW for a few months now. After receiving a 13 series single flap that was extremely misrepresented by TRR (they approved my return), I found a 16 series double flap from a private seller. The condition is immaculate! It doesn’t seem like it has been used. I spent $5100 on it, which is still over my budget, but it was only $600 more than another 13 series single flap that I was looking at that had more wear. When I finally received the 16 series double flap, everything was perfect except for the fact that it was dull and dry. The reason why I was even on the hunt for a Jumbo in the first place was because of my aunt’s shiny Jumbo that almost blinded me last Christmas. I am now debating on what to do. On one hand, I am inclined to keep it because of the price and condition. On the other hand, it is really not what I expected.

I did a deep dive on the 16 series batch, even reading posts back from 2012, and everyone seem to hate it. I did notice though that some more recent series are kinda similar to my 16 series. I am wondering, is there anyone out there who likes the more matte, dry, stiff, not as puffy, not as black bag (16 series or the more recent ones like this)?

EAA916E3-DB0A-464B-A11D-F048AA0B0462.jpeg

Last edited:
Return it. There are so many great preloved jumbos out there. With minis/smalls trending, this is a great time to buy. It may take some time, but you’ll find what you’re looking for. Whether it’s 2k or 5k, you need to be completely happy. Don’t settle.
Unfortunately, this one I bought from a private seller so I am unable to return. I wish I knew about the 16 series caviar ahead of purchase. My only option will be to sell it if I do decide, hopefully not at a loss.

One of the rules of SM is that more people pile in when there's a lot of hate/complaining than when there is love/praise to be had. Marketing statisticians often swing the pendulum towards the positive to account and redress the balance for this anomaly in human behaviour.

Different textures and finishes suit different people. If someone's a high-shine, urban dramatic, that's one look, if someone's a stealth, natural sophisticate, that's another.

Think about your own look(s) style and use your own judgement.

I think it’s up to personal preferences - some of us like matte, others shinier caviar etc. I agree with alxyoung - you should be perfectly happy with it. You did get it at a good price and might be able to find it a new home without selling at a loss. Let us know what you decide!

I have been on the hunt for a Classic Jumbo SHW for a few months now. After receiving a 13 series single flap that was extremely misrepresented by TRR (they approved my return), I found a 16 series double flap from a private seller. The condition is immaculate! It doesn’t seem like it has been used. I spent $5100 on it, which is still over my budget, but it was only $600 more than another 13 series single flap that I was looking at that had more wear. When I finally received the 16 series double flap, everything was perfect except for the fact that it was dull and dry. The reason why I was even on the hunt for a Jumbo in the first place was because of my aunt’s shiny Jumbo that almost blinded me last Christmas. I am now debating on what to do. On one hand, I am inclined to keep it because of the price and condition. On the other hand, it is really not what I expected.

I did a deep dive on the 16 series batch, even reading posts back from 2012, and everyone seem to hate it. I did notice though that some more recent series are kinda similar to my 16 series. I am wondering, is there anyone out there who likes the more matte, dry, stiff, not as puffy, not as black bag (16 series or the more recent ones like this)?

View attachment 5742856
yeah, I had a bag in shiny caviar leather, the prettiest look on a bag, still miss it.

Reactions: disappeared

View attachment 5742856
Personally, after many years seeing season after season so many different leathers, I came to appreciate them all. I think like everything, it’s a matter of preference and what matters is how much you would love it.
On a side note, some leathers change a little over the years with constant use.