How much do we hate the 16 Series Caviar?

@disappeared you have an amazing Hermes collection!

2014-2016 was actually when I first got into purchasing and collecting Chanel, so I lived through the time of inconsistent caviars. Disclaimer: My comments here are only based on the photos...but I'm aware that the 3d quilting effect looks different, and better in-person, compared to photographs.

Unfortunately, your jumbo's caviar is the one I did not find acceptable. The very first WOC I purchased in 2015 was in this dry-matte leather, whereas the one on display had glistening, shiny caviar that looked like black diamond pave in the boutique. Because I was inexperienced, I took it home and I kept looking at it, wondering why I was never impressed with it...whereas the one I saw in the boutique made me instantly fall in love. The SA who sold it to me insisted that all the leathers were the same and would become identically shiny after handling...but anyway I returned it and waited 2-3 weeks until I got a shiny caviar WOC. And every time I took it out, it never failed to give me joy that was lacking to me with the very matte caviar.

I then purchased a M/L classic flap in fall 2016, 23xxxxxx series. It wasn't the first black caviar classic flap that was offered to me...I had to wait about a year before I got a silver hardware flap I was satisfied with. This caviar is neither super shiny, nor matte...it's satiny, softly shiny, and smooth-looking rather than beady and bumpy. It's beautiful in a different way. I have pictures if anyone is interested, but I didn't want to "invade" with them in someone else's thread.

You got a great deal on this jumbo, but if it doesn't stun you like your aunt's jumbo did, it's OK to want a different one.
Hi @resplendent ! First off, thank you for the compliment on my collection! And another thank you for your thoughtful response to my post.

My inexperience with Chanel classic flap is what brought me to start this thread. I was under the impression that classic flaps all look the same in terms of quilts, puffiness, shine, color saturation, etc., because it’s a classic. I already know I’m wrong on that assumption based on first hand experience. Same as you in 2014, I was also waiting to be wowed by my new-to-me Jumbo bag.

On the flip side, these past couple of days, I’ve consciously decided to enjoy her. She is mine anyway. And if my feelings for her don’t deepen, then I will find her a new home eventually. So far, I’m really enjoying her company!

P.S. I would very much like to admire your 2016 M/L. Please DM me if you don’t mind, or post on this thread. Thanks!

Reactions: resplendent