How much did a Speedy cost 50 years ago?

Aciremane

May 28, 2008
So we're studying inflation in my macroeconomics class and we have to talk about an item that has gone up in price in 50 years. With Louis Vuitton, they rise in price by what? 5% every 6 months or so? Do any of you ladies, or gentlemen happen to know how much a Speedy or other iconic Louis Vuitton bag cost that many years ago? Thanks!

That's a great question! I look forward to hearing the answer. I recall seeing a Louis Vuitton Speedy in Saks while in high school (I graduated in 1980) and thought it was the neatest handbag I'd ever seen. I had no idea of the name brand, status associated with it, or anything. I simply really, really liked the bag. I recall asking what type of leather the canvas was, only to learn that it isn't leather at all. I do not recall exactly how much the Speedy was at that time, c. 1979 or 1980, but I believe it was $275 or so (but not more than $300). I'd really be interested to know what the Speedy cost in 1949. I'l definitely keep check on this thread!

I think they weren't that expensive 20 years ago, because my mum got about 13 pieces as presents from my dad and my dad is a really stingy person ^^ I would guess that 20 years ago a speedy was about half the price it is today.

I think they weren't that expensive 20 years ago, because my mum got about 13 pieces as presents from my dad and my dad is a really stingy person ^^ I would guess that 20 years ago a speedy was about half the price it is today.

If your dad bought your mother 13 pieces of LV 20 years ago, he's definitely not 'stingy'! He also has good taste! :tup: Consider the price of LV within the context of 20 years ago, not today.

My mum has one from when she was young and she bought it in a trip to Paris, but she always said it was more expensive than now, maybe because the money before euro was very different

A call to LV might be the fastest way to get an answer. If 866 doesn't answer your question, go to the LVMH website and contact investor services. One of them should be able to help.

ok this might be too confusing but this is what I really want to know. how much did they cost 20, 30, 50 years ago in 2009 dollars.

that is to say if they cast 325$ in 1985(just making that up) would that be $500 in 2009 Dollars ? more less? sorry if i am being confusing.

I don't know what it cost 50 years ago, 30 years ago Speedy 25 was $150. The HLC went for $75, twenty years ago the Vernis Reade retailed $420, first Epi Pochette ever was $70. The Cartoucherie was $195. These are just a few of the items I had.