How many people here would buy CL's if Louboutin decided to remove his trademark red soles and make them unrecognizable?

J_L33

O.G.
Feb 28, 2010
Not a rhetorical question: I find a lot of his styles to be quite uninspiring. Aside from the fact that some shoes are comically high, which piques interest in some people, there's really nothing special about them.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love some of his designs, but I think that I'd like those same designs even if they were any other brands or even mall brands. Meaning, I simply love the designs for their own aesthetics: I love some older styles with prints and intricate embroidery, but the new designs not so much.

Anyway, I'd be really curious if anyone takes CL shoes and performs a blind experiment asking people which shoes they prefer (along with some other popular designers) vs. mall/high street brands.

Reactions: bubablu
Not really a fan of CL style, but for me, purchase is dependent on fit. My CLs are uncomfortable bc I think they are cut a bit narrow in the forefront, and my heel tends to slip. I do find Manolo, YSL, Chanel, Gucci and some Valentino more comfortable. jimmy choo depending on the style.

I would still totally buy CL designs without the red sole. Personally, I think the older style Pigalle 120 is a beautiful shoe, and the most artfully and aesthetically balanced heel available. Doesn't mean I find it comfortable though! There are a few other designers whose shoes I occasionally prefer, but I almost always find that CL does the prettiest basic shapes that are harmonious to look at. I do feel self conscious wearing the red soles because they broadcast (whether or not it's true- I'm an ebay bargain shopper!) that one is wearing very expensive shoes. I live in a place with huge income inequality, and to be honest I feel gauche wearing such an immediate wealth marker where people sleep in the streets. So, along with the lack of comfort, I collect many of my CLs for aesthetic, nonwearing purposes. They still make me happy to look at and try on at home, and during quarantine, that's been the only option anyway!

I think the thread question is a very good one. I admit the CLs I have are largely due to the red sole. Just as I've bought Gucci shoes for the iconic horse bits, sucker that I am for equestrian motifs. I don't think Canada Goose or Moncler would have as many coat buyers without their logos on the sleeves or many of the handbags without their respective logos. On the flip side I purchase some inexpensive (it'a all relative) clothes that can look sharp when accessorized a certain way. On this Forum of course we largely focus on retail goods below five figures, exceptions include Hermes, furs, and jewelry/watches. PF is one of the few sites where fashion fans can indulge in our purchases/wishlists for whatever reason--aesthetics, fit, brand recognition, quality, etc. I wouldn't purchase CLs or other pricey items if I didn't feel the quality was there to back up their high prices. I'm a fan of Bottega bags due to their under the radar appeal. Just as car enthusiasts can always recognize a Corvette or other car models without seeing their logos, many of us on PF can recognize lots of fashion items without seeing brand names. And when it comes to cars, people spend tens of thousands more on status cars than mere vehicles that can also go from A to B. The CL's I have are comfortable, or at least comfortable enough, for me. I wouldn't purchase any items of any brand that are uncomfortable, just as I wouldn't buy particular luxury cars that have drawbacks to me. There's a lot of choice out there for the same price points.

Reactions: Nottwenty
I would still buy them. For me its the style, cut and shape of the shoe more than just the red soles.
I love the shape of the toes and heels on the So Kates & Pigalles and the low sides.

The quality is still high overall and its still a handmade product from Italian craftsman.
The red soles do make them unique however...

I also own Le Silla Eva pumps as well which are very similar to So Kates but for 70% of the price.
Their quality is about the same with no red soles but the cut is not quite as low and sexy as the So Kates.

I would still buy them. For me its the style, cut and shape of the shoe more than just the red soles.
I love the shape of the toes and heels on the So Kates & Pigalles and the low sides.

The quality is still high overall and its still a handmade product from Italian craftsman.

I also own Le Silla Eva pumps as well which are very similar to So Kates but for 70% of the price.
Their quality is about the same with no red soles but the cut is not quite as low and sexy as the So Kates.
I agree entirely with you Stilly.
LaSilla, Casadei, and the vanishing JC Anouks and SW Nudist are instantly recognized as top quality, worn by people who DEMAND top quality. A Rolex doesn’t keep any better time than a Casio, but it defines you.

Reactions: label24

LaSilla, Casadei, and the vanishing JC Anouks and SW Nudist are instantly recognized as top quality, worn by people who DEMAND top quality. A Rolex doesn’t keep any better time than a Casio, but it defines you.

Wow, you are such an expert! I haven't been in a Jimmy Choo store in a LONG time, but when I do..I check out the Anouk. You mean they are no longer made? Stuart Weitizmann, I recently saw an AMAZING shoe..so I will keep my radar tuned.

I have a pair of Casadei Pellame leopard-patent t-strap, see pic. Man, the quality is unbelievably high..even better than Louboutin! The leather soles show detailing that is crazy good. Italian shoe craftsmanship. See pics.

See Kelly Ripa on ABC's "Live with Kelly and Ryan", she always sports great 5" low-cut pumps with tan soles (non Louboutin). I always wonder what the brand is, VERY similar to Louboutin So Kate. Anyone know?

^^^ I guess they are Gianvito Rossi (son of designer Sergio Rossi), his style is VERY similar to Louboutin. VERY sexy/feminine.

^^^ Sergio Rossi pumps. She's a fan of the Sergio/Gianvito Rossi line of heels, I don't blame her. Lovely shoes

301397-1581590517.jpg

IMG_0627a.jpg

IMG_4850.JPG

IMG_4854.JPG

IMG_4857.JPG

IMG_4858.JPG

Last edited:

Thanks for the lead on LeSilla, I haven't heard of them! You are an expert.

^^^ If Olivia Munn and Gwen Stefani are on board (2 known Loub enthusiasts), then I'm convinced.

I'm aware of some low price-point So Kate copies from China ($70 !!), the lines are superb! Nearly identical to So Kate. I assume the soles are man-made, possibly leather upper? One gal sports them on her IG account, I don't have the link handy..sorry.

See Brazil On Heels IG (followed by Engineeringinheels, a Purseforum Louboutin member), she is a professional model based out of Milan:

Mostly Louboutin, some Casadei, Gianvito Rossi, other brands. See that "gold pump" (brand unknown), just amazing:

She is analyzing her high heel passion:

Youtube channel

You need to start posting pics, your avatar shows black patent So Kates on a red sportscar front hood (?) You likely have fine taste in cars, likely European luxury cars (BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Porsche, etc). I myself drive a BMW 3-series, driving a manual (w/clutch) is a challenge in 5" heels! One gal on Stilly's thread is a Ford fanatic, blue sportscar (Fusion?)

Thanks for the lead on LeSilla, I haven't heard of them! You are an expert.

^^^ If Olivia Munn and Gwen Stefani are on board (2 known Loub enthusiasts), then I'm convinced.

I'm aware of some low price-point So Kate copies from China ($70 !!), the lines are superb! Nearly identical to So Kate. I assume the soles are man-made, possibly leather upper? One gal sports them on her IG account, I don't have the link handy..sorry.

See Brazil On Heels IG (followed by Engineeringinheels, a Purseforum Louboutin member), she is a professional model based out of Milan:

Mostly Louboutin, some Casadei, Gianvito Rossi, other brands. See that "gold pump" (brand unknown), just amazing:

She is analyzing her high heel passion:

Youtube channel

You need to start posting pics, your avatar shows black patent So Kates on a red sportscar front hood (?) You likely have fine taste in cars, likely European luxury cars (BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Porsche, etc). I myself drive a BMW 3-series, driving a manual (w/clutch) is a challenge in 5" heels! One gal on Stilly's thread is a Ford fanatic, blue sportscar (Fusion?)

Okay, you sort of got me. Designer heels and cars are passions. Off topic, but since you asked ( hopefully the site manager will allow a small detour) Audis only, 4 of them. Me? My favorite picture: at LeMans on the front straight after last practice.7A6874A5-5494-4958-B755-E2C2156354BD.jpeg8173D10F-2F7B-4CC5-898E-B7334ED86956.jpegA890ECFC-822E-4DEF-86B8-71A334973E32.jpegFFDAFE2A-A7FB-4280-8000-D6B47B0D6497.jpeg

Okay, you sort of got me. Designer heels and cars are passions. Off topic, but since you asked ( hopefully the site manager will allow a small detour) Audis only, 4 of them. Me? My favorite picture: at LeMans on the front straight after last practice.View attachment 4918903View attachment 4918904View attachment 4918905View attachment 4918906

Wow..I guessed right! Is that black coupe an R sedan, which model?

You must be a fan of the (former) Audi LMP1 effort, led by female engineer Leena Gade. THREE 24 Hrs LeMans championships, girl power! I actually met Andre Lotterer, 1 of the team drivers, pretty funny guy! I had closeup look of Audi LMP1 hybrid (diesel rear, electric front), it was total bada==! I met a lot of Audi engineers, and exchanged information

Audi is leaving Formula E, going to Dakar Rally and back to 24 Hrs of LeMans. I got a closeup look at the prototype (orange) Audi e-tron, R type of hull. Super sexy car!

Do you rock the So Kate at Lemans, even at the race? Are you part of the team, which gets you special access? The top race teams entertain their corporate sponsors with special VIP tents (B2B "business to business"). Is this how you get in, you've got Audi connections?

You're in Alabama, do you goto the Barber race track? Indycar

You need to do some Youtube videos, with your Audi and So Kates. I assume it's an automatic? A friend got a new one, the shifting is so good it makes manual/clutch obsolete.

I found this nice video, Hot Chick 130 and BMW

Engineeringinheels (who posts here on PF) is a Porsche gal, she used to drive a Subaru WRX (all wheel drive, really bad a--!)

Stilly's DBF drives a Mercedes, I wonder what she drives?

I like BMW shape, I'm considering Porsche (cool looking shape). I would consider Mercedes AMG, also bada--!

Last edited:
Wow..I guessed right! Is that black coupe an R sedan, which model?

You must be a fan of the (former) Audi LMP1 effort, led by female engineer Leena Gade. THREE 24 Hrs LeMans championships, girl power! I actually met Andre Lotterer, 1 of the team drivers, pretty funny guy! I had closeup look of Audi LMP1 hybrid (diesel rear, electric front), it was total bada==! I met a lot of Audi engineers, and exchanged information

Audi is leaving Formula E, going to Dakar Rally and back to 24 Hrs of LeMans. I got a closeup look at the prototype (orange) Audi e-tron, R type of hull. Super sexy car!

Do you rock the So Kate at Lemans, even at the race? Are you part of the team, which gets you special access? The top race teams entertain their corporate sponsors with special VIP tents (B2B "business to business"). Is this how you get in, you've got Audi connections?

You're in Alabama, do you goto the Barber race track? Indycar

You need to do some Youtube videos, with your Audi and So Kates. I assume it's an automatic? A friend got a new one, the shifting is so good it makes manual/clutch obsolete.

I found this nice video, Hot Chick 130 and BMW

Engineeringinheels (who posts here on PF) is a Porsche gal, she used to drive a Subaru WRX (all wheel drive, really bad a--!)

Stilly's DBF drives a Mercedes, I wonder what she drives?

I like BMW shape, I'm considering Porsche (cool looking shape). I would consider Mercedes AMG, also bada--!

That’s an R8 V10 facing the TTS drop top. We are Barber members. My husband has Audi/Porsche connections. I don’t wear SKs at LeMans. They’d be ruined in an hour. When that picture was taken it was in 60kph winds and rain. Thankfully race day was mostly dry that year. SKs are for Paris.

That’s an R8 V10 facing the TTS drop top. We are Barber members. My husband has Audi/Porsche connections. I don’t wear SKs at LeMans. They’d be ruined in an hour. When that picture was taken it was in 60kph winds and rain. Thankfully race day was mostly dry that year. SKs are for Paris.

I was gonna guess "R8", but I held back! I don't know Audi line that well, but I've been to LA Auto Show and gaped at the various Audi R* sportscars. Porsche exhibit at LAAS is *phenomenal*, plus they have mini-Bistro with complimentary food/snacks/drinks.

I was going to ask you if you goto Barber (Indycar race), I have connections with "motor racing" (in my best Jackie Stewart scottish accent..LOL). Do you goto IMSA races (sportscar racing in America), or Petit Lemans (Atlanta)? I know people there, there are female team managers (who I've met). E.g., the Scuderia (Ferrari) team whose mgr has moved to an Indycar team. She used to manage a Porsche team.

There are trophy girls floating around in auto racing, like F1 grid girls. Lots of hot women in paddock area, driver's wives etc. F1 pre-race grid has a lot of celebrities (incl female). You should definitely rock your Loub So Kates there (ala Stilly, who is fearless with very mini skirts w/So Kate and Hot Chick 130), you would be such a "star"! Have a "Purseforum Louboutin" t-shirt made up, emulate one of Stilly's casual outfits (w/So Kate).

"OMG, that's one of us PF/Louboutin girl homies at a Formula 1 race! Way to represent!"

Back on topic:

Monaco F1 grand prix ("the crown jewel" of F1 races in Monte Carlo), they have pre-race fashion events, with F1 drivers invited. You and your So Kates would be a perfect fit there. Stilly would ABSOLUTELY rock it to the core with her wild outfits, the so-called "it girl" (so bomb!)

show
What to Wear in the Evening in Monaco:

Then if you are lucky enough to go to a concert, evening event of some kind, then the people of Monaco do dress up a bit. I actually LOVE this about Monaco! There are so many places in the world where the dress code is non existent. Here, everyone makes an effort and dresses beautifully. I love Missoni dresses. Such an understated elegance that will take me anywhere.

show
Well, I hope I have given you some ideas for What to Wear in Monaco. Here is a little recap check list:

What to Wear in Monaco packing list:
  • Jeans, cream and dark to dress up and down
  • A light weight Jacket
  • Dresses! A Diva essential. Splurge on the perfect Day dress.
  • Evening dress by Missoni
  • I always take my Designer bags to Monaco. Chanel Crossover bag, Hermes Birkin and LV Neverfull
  • A couple of understated pieces of jewellery. Bulgari ring, Diamond studs, an enormous Diamond ring – Monaco is one of the few places in the world where it is safe to wander around wearing Diamonds, if you so wish.
  • Jimmy Choo Court Shoes and Jimmy Choo Sandals
  • Heidi Klein Swimsuit, bikini and wrap
  • Evening Cashmere Shawl for chilly nights
  • Late September onwards take a lightweight raincoat and umbrella

Christina2 (jewelry sales) could also be a "splash", with her Loub Hot Chick 130. She likely would attract many potential male-suitors, with her passionate aura (Hot Chick moves, subtle flashing of jewelry). She's what's known as a "natural". Stilly also. You're in hiding (lurker), about to make your move!

I say the THREE of you PF/Louboutin fashionista "homies" need to put together a PLAN, "splash" the Grandest of all F1 races, Monaco GP week of festivities. Fashion shows, evening events, pre-race grid "flaunt", etc.

See pics, from Monaco F1 Grand Prix. 1st pic, Petra & Tamara Ecclestone (daughters of former F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone) at pre-Monaco GP, Amber Lounge fashion event. Tamara is rocking Loub platform heels., she gets a LOT of chit-chat among F1 fans for her looks. Stilly is easily at their level, you likely as well! 2nd pic, 2 celebs rocking 5" heels on pre-race Monaco GP grid walk, that's a Mercedes F1 car in the background. 3rd/4th pic, sensible shoes at Red Bull Racing paddock, RBR is 1 of the top teams (competing w/Mercedes), VERY well funded. Money/$$ is tied to success on race-track, just like pricey designer shoes are tied to a winning Fashionista. 5th pic, red-carpet catwalk prior to Amber Lounge, pure designer fashion, LOVE her classic look (black dress, designer purse, pearl necklace, etc)

See next post for details..

article-0-134D6B00000005DC-876_470x788.jpg

f1-monaco-grand-prix-2017-monte-carlo-celebs-04.jpg

f1-monaco-grand-prix-2017-monte-carlo-celebs-18.jpg

gettyimages-688982184-1496088146.jpg

gettyimages-688802790-1496088807.jpg

Last edited:
I would definitely never change the color of the sole of my shoes, much less would I dare to modify a Louboutin piece. In my case, making any kind of modification to some louboutin would be like retouching a Michelangelo painting! A true Louboutin customer knows perfectly that the beauty of these shoes does not only lie in the sole, the details in design and manufacture are what make a shoe louboutin! think or try to compare some court shoes from an Aldo rack (or whatever brand you want) and ensure that it is the same as a PIGALLE just for the fact that both shoes are pointed, black and with a fine heel ... lacks a ton of context and judgment to give a concrete opinion on a high quality piece from the world of luxury