Travel How many of you use a travel professional to plan your vacations?

How would one go about finding a reputable agent? I'm an experienced traveler and have always booked on my own, but I'm contemplating a 2 week trip with several pieces and it might be easier to go with an agent.

Well we caved...after being determined to plan our honeymoon ourselves I've given up and am going back with the travel agency we used for our last trip. Even though I wasn't thrilled with the TA last time, I'm hoping it will work better this time around. The agency is large and has many agents with lots of experience so it seems like the best option, but maybe we just didn't click with our agent last time. Ultimately it came down to a time issue--I just don't have time to research locations and like several other posters have said, time is money.

How would one go about finding a reputable agent? I'm an experienced traveler and have always booked on my own, but I'm contemplating a 2 week trip with several pieces and it might be easier to go with an agent.

You can ask friends for recommendations. There's an organization for reputable agents (ASTA?), that you can ask if they belong to.

The OP should have some ideas on this.

You can ask friends for recommendations. There's an organization for reputable agents (ASTA?), that you can ask if they belong to.

The OP should have some ideas on this.

I can certainly point her in the right direction...I am ASTA...

Thank you. My friends and I all travel but none of us use travel agents.

Let me know what specialty your looking for jenna...I can certainly help you out!!

I am a control freak, gotta do it myself :biggrin:

First time I trusted a travel professional, I was suggested a cheap hotel with bedbugs. She said it was in a great location and I'd love it, she a,Leah's stay there. When in fact she never even been to that country.

Second time I used services of a travel professional, I asked for a specific hotel I knew was very good. And specifically asked for rooms with the street views and king sized beds. When we arrived our rooms had garden views and two single beds. The hotel said they were never notified about my preferences and changed the rooms with my first request.

So no, thanks, I do it better myself.

I book everything myself for sure. I've travelled quite regularly pretty much since the day I was born, and I know exactly what I want and what I'm doing. I dig up the best prices and dates, then stack on discount coupons to bring down the cost even more, and book directly from the suppliers where possible.

Example: in 2012 I visited 10 European countries over a period of 6 weeks, for approximately $10,000 all up. As in, that's the grand total - including spending, accommodation, transport - everything. Stayed at super trendy and outstanding 4-star hotels pretty much all the way, used all full-service airlines, and including return flights from far-away Australia.

So yeah, there's never been any need for me to rely on anyone else but myself. I too am a 'control freak'!!

I frequently use a travel agent but typically only for the hotels/activity portion....it can be very helpful especially in an area we're unfamiliar with (one of my #1 vacation pet peeves is being stuck in a bad hotel!)

I frequently use a travel agent but typically only for the hotels/activity portion....it can be very helpful especially in an area we're unfamiliar with (one of my #1 vacation pet peeves is being stuck in a bad hotel!)

Me, too! Bad hotel and/or bad location can ruin a trip. TA's know about those things. We have learned that a hotel in a central location is worth the money because of all the time and money you don't spend on transport.

Me, too! Bad hotel and/or bad location can ruin a trip. TA's know about those things. We have learned that a hotel in a central location is worth the money because of all the time and money you don't spend on transport.

Yes! Especially your last point, I always pay to have the location now. For some reason it's less enraging to pay more $$$ for a hotel room than to shell out the same amount over taxi rides, etc back and forth.

Been wondering a long time...how many of you use an educated travel professional to plan your vacations or just roll the dice and hope it will go well? I've been working in the travel business for over 20 years and I see many intelligent, smart, educated people who use doctors to diagnose an illness, a plumber to fix the sink and a lawyer to document a will, but who will go online and sometimes spend 10-20k on trips that they will not have a clue about what they're booking. They just go online and "roll the dice"...just wondering why??? It costs nothing to use a professional...we're paid by the tour companies for the most part unless it's a very complicated trip, why do so many just go online and take their chances?
<<<<<<<<avatar isn't me btw :sweatdrop:
haven't used a B&M travel agency for hotel or flight suggestions in a long time.
I do use airline sites and AMX travel services to check airline prices and i use points with member airlines. I usually select the hotel myself or take a nice tour which leads me to my question,

Have you had any complaints about Tauck? I have used them close to 15 times for Foreign tours and they seem to be changing, reminding me of old Globus; early up, late return, not nearly as much free time, set menu, no selection. T used to be my go to but after the last two tours (both in France and one tour a repeat for me I liked it so much the first time ;Normandy) I have been looking around and the old names don't seem to be in business or offer limited choices like A&K. Our last T tour several guests were seasoned travelers with tauck, were also disappointed.
Curious if you have noticed a change, I know Robin and Peter Tauck who were very involved are no longer on the board of directors.

I have traveled with A&K, maupintour, Travcoa amd Tauck but the choices seem more limited now. If tours are becoming $ or $$$$$$$$$ with the between hard to find does an experienced travel agent have available more info for clients about different companies? ie Industry reports that are more thorough than a traveler reading stuff online which is either glowing or complaints.
Thank you.