How many MJ bags is TOO many?

gingarita

Ginger
O.G.
Nov 29, 2006
I was starting to fill out the MJ 'inventory' thread list:

http://forum.purseblog.com/marc-jacobs/marc-jacobs-tpf-inventory-288492.html

well, I stopped short as I was doing it ....the number of bags I have are wayyyyyyyyyyy too many!
I was frightened! NO WONDER my closets won't close! I have to hide bags in boxes under shoes and blankets (dh) :sweatdrop:
or the old 'oh that thing? i got it dirt cheap on ebay!'
but not just that reason, it just is crazyyyyyyyyy I can't wear them all
I have to make some kind of list and get your help to pare down....
then you must put me on a ban (i can't do it) and only let me SELL not BUY for at least ....a year/ok a month/ well at least a few more weeks...
lolol

This might be good for ALL of us to do! isn't it hard having clutter especially when most of it is really good .......!
De cluttering even good things has got to be good for your nerves and peace of mind!
however i really LOVE some of my bags shoes nik naks etc.....what an awesome task...
parind down!
so starting with the bags....not just marc but all bags..

seriously, HOW MANY is TOO MANY??:nuts:

Last edited:
Ginger - As an incredibly generous and selfless person, I would be MORE than happy to help with your little problem:graucho: Seriously though, I think for me personally, I am really trying to only keep what I KNOW I will wear. I have been trying to streamline and de-clutter and part of that process involves honestly looking at my closet and getting rid of everything that I don't LOVE. If I haven't worn it in a year, what's the likelihood that I'm ever going to, or that I'll miss it when it's gone? I think with bags, the hunt is a big part of the fun, and the score puts you on kind of a high but then once it's over you're left looking for the next one. (Okay, that makes me sound either like a drug addict or a man-whore...) And I think it's different for everyone! I get overwhelmed by too many decisions, so I like to keep my bag collection on the small side. For others, having choices is a huge plus. So I think it's whatever you are comfortable with. But if you need help deciding, I'm sure we'd all be happy to help:smile:

I don't think it's really a matter of how many you have, but more of how often do you wear them? For me, I've recently set a rule: if I haven't used it in 3+ years, sell it and put something new in my rotation.

Ginger - As an incredibly generous and selfless person, I would be MORE than happy to help with your little problem:graucho: Seriously though, I think for me personally, I am really trying to only keep what I KNOW I will wear. I have been trying to streamline and de-clutter and part of that process involves honestly looking at my closet and getting rid of everything that I don't LOVE. If I haven't worn it in a year, what's the likelihood that I'm ever going to, or that I'll miss it when it's gone? I think with bags, the hunt is a big part of the fun, and the score puts you on kind of a high but then once it's over you're left looking for the next one. (Okay, that makes me sound either like a drug addict or a man-whore...) And I think it's different for everyone! I get overwhelmed by too many decisions, so I like to keep my bag collection on the small side. For others, having choices is a huge plus. So I think it's whatever you are comfortable with. But if you need help deciding, I'm sure we'd all be happy to help:smile:

you are SOO RIGHT......i need a week vacation (several coming up soon actually) to just pare down...
THE HUNT yes that is part of it!
The SCORE
i understand...
and girl.....'man-whore' how did THAT slip in!??????? LOLOLOL you are a riot!

but i DO agree that sometimes after the score i lose interest HOWEVER some things are just to die for like a few i have are still so wonderful i just like schmooching the leather to feel it....THOSE I KEEP for therapy!
:yahoo:
but some i just wouldn't miss if they were gone sad to say
even had a few i forgot i had!

Ginger, I think you have way to many Hudsons! ;) You need to sell me your Military one immediately. :P

Seriously though I think it depends on the person. I am in the middle reevaluating a lot of the bags that I own. I mean they are all beautiful but they aren't necessarily right for me. I'm hoping to eventually cut my collection down to 15-20 bags (which is still too high but I have to do this in stages.)

you can never have too many mj's! currently, i only have 2 (hudson and quilted venetia). i have a zc and a keypouch also. ive dwindled down my collection to pay bills and buy things for my house.

i guess it all depends on the person, and their financial situation - as long as they are current on their rent/mortage and their bills are paid, then i can see owning more than a couple of bags.

melly, what bags are you considering parting with? let us know when you put them on the 'bay! ;)

it's too many when it puts you in dept, destroys your marriage, or makes you feel guilty.

That's funny that you added the guilt factor.
I felt guilty after getting three MJs.:nuts:
Some people are much more prone to guilt than others, I think (can you guess if I am one of those people??).

Once I push the guilt aside, I think 10ish is a good number for me, but I know some people (like the rest of my family) think that's still way too many.
It just depends on what you are comfortable with, I think.
Sounds like you feel it's time to declutter, so I would go with that feeling.
To me, it sounds like it shouldn't be hard to part with the ones that you didn't even know you had--I would start with those first.:yes:

I think the answer depends on the person and how often you use the bags. I really hate clutter. I go through my closet every season and dump out a bunch of stuff I don't want or use. I think this really made me look at the way I spend. In the past I spent a lot of money on things I never used. Within the last few years, I really cut down on a lot of shopping. I'm more careful about what I'm buying. If I don't need or love something, I know I won't use it. So, it stops me from buying.

Ginger, I think you have way to many Hudsons! ;) You need to sell me your Military one immediately. :P

Seriously though I think it depends on the person. I am in the middle reevaluating a lot of the bags that I own. I mean they are all beautiful but they aren't necessarily right for me. I'm hoping to eventually cut my collection down to 15-20 bags (which is still too high but I have to do this in stages.)

my dear MELLY! you just made me feel better!:sweatdrop:;) I am in good company!if you are PARING DOWN to 20 that must mean you have upwards of that like me i have about 20+(almost 30)JUST MARC J bags and about six accessories
that is not including my bags from cheating on marc....around the same number all totalled..
so if i get it all down to 20 i don't feel so bad...

ok sounds like a good thing for all of us to do
and yes military has been tetering on the list for awhile i never wore her also one of the stams
and have a spare black stella! and spare black sophia! what do i think there will be a flood or something? lolol

this is fun....housecleaning thread
to make room for more (as pursemonkey would say) DRUGS
i actually feel like it is a ROTATION....time to get new ones when we get rid of old

Last edited:
Totally depends on the person, for some 3 bags are too much for others 30 aren't enough. As long as you use them (or even feel happy just looking at them), are not in debt it's ok, imo. Agree with Roo here, you think you that you have too many, it really is time to declutter and if you miss any you've got rid off you can always hunt them down again :smile: