How many languages do you speak?

I am so impressed with people that can speak more than one language. When speaking a language other than your first one, do you think in that language, also?

Yes, actually. Before I moved to Germany, I pretty much only spoke English. I took 3 semesters of German in college to get my grammar up to par (it's still not there, but much much better) and now that I live here I think it's weird to speak in English. I pretty much only speak German and I also think in German now too :smile:

My mother tongue is German and I speak English fluently almost like German because I'm a simultaneous speech translater.
I also speak Spanish and French fluently and I understand Dutch in hearing and writing because it's pretty similar to German and I grew up on the Dutch border.

I'd say that I speak two and a half language;
-Norwegian
-English
-Russian really poor, but it's coming along, hence the "half".

I also understand more than 90% of danish and swedish, and I can make out many sentences I read in dutch.
I want to learn finnish and arabic and some other languages in the future, but first I want to perfect my russian, hopefully I'll get a better grasp of it this year. I want to be able to speak at least for or five languages fluently within the next ten years.

Oh, and I was forced to learn german in high school, but I hated it so much that I boykotted it and selectively excluded everything I learned from my memory.

I speak English and Spanish mainly. I took a year of German in High School, so I know a bit of that. I was learning how to speak Italian on the computer, so I know a couple of sentences and words. My sis is a linguist in the Navy and speaks Serbian-Croatian, so she taught me a couple of words. Her husband is a linguist in the Air Force and speaks Arabic, so he taught me a couple of words as well.

I REALLLLLY wanna learn Russian and become more fluent in German.

Cool John I Speak Serbo-Croatian fluently :smile:

English- native, fluent
Gujarati- almost fluent in speaking and understanding, but can't write
Hindi- conversational
Spanish (had 7 years of it in school and I can still read it fluently, but I'm rusty when speaking it)

Speak/write/read
-French (native) + English = perfect
-Spanish (took 5 years in school + spent a summer in Spain, pretty fluent)
-Russian ... starting to learn it (had 3 classes so far :yes:, I know the alphabet, some basic stuff and vocabulary, and I'm starting to learn verbs and stuff :nuts:)

Read/understand
-Some Italian
-Some Portuguese

And I know some Hebrew prayers from Jewish camp :P

I know some British words. (I can't understand the Cockney slang just yet.)

I know enough Spanish, French and Italian to get me by, although I cant have conversations in it. Words like: please, thank you, yes, no, hello, goodbye.

English. I was fluent in French & Spanish at school but have forgotten most of it. However when I travel to either country it comes back althought I have to think before I speak LOL