How many jewelry pieces are "too much"?

LVLover

Hermes Only
O.G.
Jan 18, 2006
In this day of "anything goes" - how many jewelry pieces are too much?

For example:
triple strand pearl necklace
diamond studs
wedding/e-ring
tennis bracelet w/ watch - left wrist
right hand ring
right wrist stack (5 bracelets: alhambra clover, 2 hermes WG bracelets, tennis bracelet, small pearl bracelet)

too much?

Reactions: missie1
You mean wearing all at once, right? Way too much... the 3 strand pearl necklace should be paired with more minimal jewelry on its own. I think stacking/layering jewelry works best when each piece is dainty or simple but each of the pieces you've listed could be a standout of your look by itself.

Solely reading this in a vacuum, without photos, I might suggest removinng the small pearl bracelet, and either earrings or rings. (I personally prefer three focal points rather than five). In general I agree with @giantswing to remove a piece for a more youthful look. For example, coco Chanel loaded up, but she was a bit older when photographed this way.

But, it depends on your style and circumstances and the scale of the individual components and how they read together. If your arm stacks read visually as well balanced, then the fact you have x number doesn’t matter). if you wear long sleeves that partially hide the stacks or a collar that allows just a peek of the pearls, then that should be taken into account too. Of course, the more you wear, the less any individual piece will stand out.

Mainly it’s whatever you are comfortable with.

disclaimer: I am not a stack person, but I do wear what some people think of as very large pieces every day. Another TPFer, perhaps @nightbefore even posted that in my close up pics, the items seemed too large or too much for everyday, but when seen in a full length pic (including my sized frame), it’s fine.

Last edited:
It seems like a lot to me, but I’m kind of a jewelry minimalist. Daily I wear 3 pair of small earrings, a diamond solitaire pendant, a watch on my left wrist, a tennis bracelet on my right wrist, and my wedding rings.

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
@880 indeed :smile: however I think that wearing 5 different bracelets on one arm is much busier look than wearing one single statement piece. Coming back to OP, I think it is very busy look and for me they are all very different styles to combine all together (I am more matchy matchy person). But you should just go for what you like on you the most, I believe Chiara Ferragni also often wears heavy jewelry (a lot of stacking), so I definitely see it more often on others.

• Insightful
Reactions: mrs moulds and 880
I’m the odd one out but when I envision this it works And sounds fabulous. The pearls and the right arm wrist stack are the attention getters in my opnion. Everything else is staple jewelry and doesn’t give off too much when paired together. The bracelet pieces you listed are all actually small pieces with exception of the pearls which size varies. I’m all about a killer arm stac and yours sounds gorgeous Please post a picture

Solely reading this in a vacuum, without photos, I might suggest removinng the small pearl bracelet, and either earrings or rings. (I personally prefer three focal points rather than five). In general I agree with @giantswing to remove a piece for a more youthful look. For example, coco Chanel loaded up, but she was a bit older when photographed this way.

But, it depends on your style and circumstances and the scale of the individual components and how they read together. If your arm stacks read visually as well balanced, then the fact you have x number doesn’t matter). if you wear long sleeves that partially hide the stacks or a collar that allows just a peek of the pearls, then that should be taken into account too. Of course, the more you wear, the less any individual piece will stand out.

Mainly it’s whatever you are comfortable with.

disclaimer: I am not a stack person, but I do wear what some people think of as very large pieces every day. Another TPFer, perhaps @nightbefore even posted that in my close up pics, the items seemed too large or too much for everyday, but when seen in a full length pic (including my sized frame), it’s fine.
880 I totally agree that it’s all about balance when building the perfect arm stack. I prefer my arm to stack in either 3 or 5 stack combinations. Also the pieces all must have similarities that tie them together. I do agree with removing the pearl bracelet as it sounds forced and isnt needed to tie in the pearl strand. That’s a stand alone piece That worn with correct wardrobe combination can be so off the wall chic. side note this is why I wanted to get the 20 motif to wear it like pearl necklace.

• Love
Reactions: Hurrem1001 and 880
you should just go for what you like on you the most, I believe Chiara Ferragni also often wears heavy jewelry (a lot of stacking), so I definitely see it more often on others.
ounds fabulous. The pearls and the right arm wrist stack are the attention getters in my opnion. Everything else is staple jewelry and doesn’t give off too much when paired together. The bracelet pieces you listed are all actually small pieces with exception of the pearls which size varies.

Am off to google chiara ferragni!
am hoping to return to this thread and find pics :biggrin:
OP, do you wear the stacks plus rings and earrings every day and then just add the three strand necklace in for a change ? Would love more info: like what outfit, hair etc etc.

I find it really helps to take a selfie of your whole outfit to see if you like it (somehow more helpful than a mirror). then, if you are feeling lazy one day and cannot decide what to wear out for dinner, you can just scroll through and duplicate.

here’s an example of my process (apologies for the long post; I’m not known for brevity lol)

The first pic is not a great pic, but it’s what I normally wear every day, including the sneakers and a hoodie dress. Most minimalists would think even the necklace (six motif VCA GMOP is a bit much for everyday, but it suits me). The close up is my wrists (with the bracelets, I personally think my normal small roster of engagement wedding stuff is too much; DH doesn’t wear a wedding band; and, honestly he’s happiest so long as I wear my avatar. the second pic is a little dressier, same jewelry, but the neckline and my hair hide the earrings and necklace, so you just get a peek if I move. Third pic I think is the everyday stuff that @nightbefore originally thought was too much before seeing the full length pics. DH actually thinks the serpenti viper is ‘more fun,’ than engagement and wedding rings.

DAFC6A4E-8E5D-411C-9D1C-72E16A667183.jpeg 85DA0014-6F2B-415C-A269-A22F61189FB9.jpeg CF79C172-8588-41DB-A5C4-A902CF5CDA72.jpeg

for a Dior special event (I thought it was inappropriate to wear another brands jewelry; I own no Dior jewelry) so I asked y mom if I could borrow something. She sent over a bunch of diamond intensive things. I’m not really a diamond person, so I experimented with pearls to see if I could tone them down. I experimented with combining two riviera necklaces plus tahitian pearls (for a triple strand effect, tennis bracelet, large statement rings and big solitaire earrings; posted a few action pics, and then decided it was way too much for my personal comfort zone (I don’t normally wear diamonds, and it looked like I raided my entire stash for one event) (those are the last two pics that I rejected)

i ended up wearing unbranded jewelry (a baroque pearl necklace, solitaire earrings and a big ring (it was a branded event, and I owned no jewelry from the brand). The third pics is what I decided was way too much (like I put on everything I owned— and I did put on almost everything my mom loaded me) the first pic is the jewlery I ended up wearing with a different outfit; the rest are experiments I rejected.

IMO, the process of deciding can be really time consuming, but once you get a feel for your personal style and comfort zone, a lot of fun! My only issue is I haven’t found the right watch (Pre bracelets, I used to wear my own or a DH wathc but now, I have to sneak a look at my phone lol). HTH

DFE280F8-CEEF-4498-A6CC-5E0F5FB6188A.jpeg 5403BD78-9728-4BE3-9BC7-B8DA89C1C1E5.jpeg 1DE38726-D6DD-4758-A0D1-773DC18D3C6C.jpeg2B2AC7ED-8433-425D-BCAA-BEF6B5A89B1E.jpeg A426F5B0-D164-4D73-8BAA-E7713A14F257.jpeg

Last edited:
@880 indeed :smile: however I think that wearing 5 different bracelets on one arm is much busier look than wearing one single statement piece. Coming back to OP, I think it is very busy look and for me they are all very different styles to combine all together (I am more matchy matchy person). But you should just go for what you like on you the most, I believe Chiara Ferragni also often wears heavy jewelry (a lot of stacking), so I definitely see it more often on others.
I just googled her and I love some of her arm stacks. It’s the cool girl stacks that’s she’s mastered.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
Well I think I have the perfect photos to explain what I mean. :biggrin: Here she wears multiple styles like serpenti, panthere, her engagement rings and more:

Here this is a sponsored post so she wears only items from serpenti line, much less than before but still some statement pieces:

I think second one is much better look than first one. First one looks like she put on everything she got for promoting. There is no harmony IMHO. So that’s why I think it is not the same effect if you wear 5 serpenti or 5 different bracelets or 1 big piece like verdura cuff from @880. The way of Chiara is wearing her jewelry or clothes is definitely not for me but this doesn’t stop her being the most popular instablogger so I think nowadays everybody can wear whatever they prefer. :biggrin: Btw the bracelet that she wears on the last photo reminds me your tubogas @880 :smile: I have never seen this piece before